Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to be one of the bigger expenses, but I knew that going in to this purchase. Been comparing tires online; the biggest question I have is this: living in the Desert Southwest, I rarely, if ever, encounter snow. Rain can be an issue. It's rare, but when it happens, it's often a lot of water in a short amount of time. Even so, our average annual rainfall is about 8 inches.

So... do I go all out with something like the Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric, or do I go with something a little more all season like the Michelin Pilot Sport? With an asymmetric tire, does that just not get rotated at all (being that the fronts and rears are different sizes)?

Anyone care to weigh in on what you chose and why? Especially looking forward to the responses from those in a similar climate. There's a Discount Tire less than a mile from where I live, so I'll definitely be stopping by once I make a decision.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
579 Posts
Some other factors to consider...

How aggressively do you drive? If your driving style rarely approaches the limits, all-season tires might be more than acceptable.

Is tread life a concern? Summer tires typically wear out much faster.

You can't rotate (front/rear) a staggered set-up. You can generally do a right/left swap if the tire's spin isn't directional (where there are specific left and right tires).

How often does it get cold in the desert at night? Summer tires lose traction and can become damaged in cold conditions. For example, the Conti 5Ps on my car aren't supposed to be used below 45 degrees F.

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some other factors to consider...

How aggressively do you drive? If your driving style rarely approaches the limits, all-season tires might be more than acceptable.

Is tread life a concern? Summer tires typically wear out much faster.

You can't rotate (front/rear) a staggered set-up. You can generally do a right/left swap if the tire's spin isn't directional (where there are specific left and right tires).

How often does it get cold in the desert at night? Summer tires lose traction and can become damaged in cold conditions. For example, the Conti 5Ps on my car aren't supposed to be used below 45 degrees F.
AMG-UFO- I think you've just settled this for me. While it might be fun one day, I can't imagine going to a track day today, so no, I don't think I'd be approaching the limits much (if ever).

And after a quick search, it does look like the average lows in the Phoenix area can kiss mid-40s pretty regularly in December/January, with some recent lows dropping even further below that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
All I can add to this as southern UK is not very desertlike... is that I have just put a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric's on mine, and they have been great in the rain.... and fantastic in the dry...

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
900 Posts
Southern Maryland is right at the cusp of the rain-freeze-snow line every winter so I would be more inclined to look for all-season. For day to day driving, with occasional hot dogging, will that be sufficient?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Personally, I like Michelin tires. But when I bought the SLK I have it had the Continental ExtremeContact tires on it and they are good tires. I've also ran the Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric on my GTI. They were good tires but not as good as the Pirelli's that came with it. My theory is any Ultra High Performance All Season tire will likely fit your needs. But really in the desert I'm sure you could go with a summer tire. It rains in the summer. I get all my tires from Tirerack. They have a nice system where you can read the reviews and make an informed decision. Personally, Michelin's have been the longest lasting tires out of all the ones I've tried. Performance wise you might get marginal improvement from brand to brand but not enough in my book to sway me one way or the other. For my money, I'm going with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Y-Speed Rated. I don't plan on driving 186 mph but you know.......

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
All Season Tyres

I think we should define "All Season Tyres" as there are summer, winter and all season tyres, at least offered here in Germany. There has been established this 45 °F (5 to 7 °C) limit for summer (above) and winter tyres (below), as the rubber becomes harder with lower temperatures and loses its properties to have a good grip to the street. But those summer tyres aren't damaged below 45 °F. Therefore the winter tyres have softer rubber and a capillary profile compared to summer tyres to keep a good grip on cold (freezing) and even snowy roads. All season tyres are a (bad) compromise for it all and doesn't work well. For "real" winter days I have "real" winter tyre wheels which are mounted to the car November. The summer tyres are coming back in March.

I think for Arizona usually without snow but colder temperatures a good brand tyre, as per your definition "all season tyre", will be fine. All those are designed for good performance on dry, wet and rainy roads. I've had Michelin PS3 and Dunlop SP RT. Both had a relatively low wear and good properties on rainy roads. My current SLK has Conti 5P, good on rainy and wet roads, too, but I cannot say anything about the wear as driven only 3,000 kms. My CLK rolls on Pirelli Zero, great on dry and good on wet roads.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I think "All Season Tires would work for your Area.....

I have yokohama stagier tires and then are doing well for me....

jnc1948

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After shopping around different tire stores as much as tires, I ended up with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus all season tires from Costco. The previous owner had put some brand I've never heard of (Sumitomo) on all four corners. I already notice a difference in ride quality and handling. Issues I thought I had have disappeared. It's literally like a totally different car.

Went from a 440 A A tire to a 500 AA A tire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.