Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Room 4 2
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know of a tire patch that will fit this - right front tire/wheel. I tried using the TireFit, but it all leaked out. I have no idea what I hit - but it happened as I was exiting the freeway on the way to work yesterday. There was a truck/trailer rig just ahead (with flashers) on the right-hand side of the road, so I started to veer to the left as I approached... then BOOM. Whatever it was, it looks like it actually cut the tire. As I passed the trailer, I had to dodge a bit more debris and as I think about it now, I wouldn't doubt that he might have hit what I hit, too. Anyway, it's over at MB now - hopefully they won't have to order the wheel from Germany.

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
LOL. You, my friend, will get to buy a new tire. Honestly, IMHO you should replace the tire with any sidewall puncture, much less when the sidewall is missing. :) It's one thing when you're driving a Honda Civic back and forth to church, but it's altogether another things when you're driving a '55 at 100+MPH.

The cost will depend on how fast you want your car back. If you're willing to wait you can try the breakers to see if they have any of those style wheels. Otherwise it's retail and dealership labor rates. Your car insurance may pay for some of the damage depending on your coverage.

Glad you weren't hurt. Best Wishes

·
Room 4 2
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
REB_TN_06
Yeah, I hear ya. I had to replace a tire/wheel combo almost two years ago, so I've already got a good idea of the minimum it will cost me - I'm sure it hasn't gotten any cheaper. Back then, only MB had this wheel and it had to be shipped over from Germany. Hopefully, there's a wheel somewhere in the States. I told the dealer to be sure and put it on a lift and give the underside a good inspection. I only heard the one BOOOM, but you never know. The rear tire/wheel looks to be OK, but I'm going to have them look at that, too.

·
DAS/STAR Registered Owner 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,022 Posts
Patch...!

No way.... thats a new tyre - the wheel *may* be repairable (there are shops over here that weld new metal on and then grind it back into shape ...) ..... also depends if it's buckled doe to hitting whatever it was..

Ouch!

·
Banned
801 Posts
Anybody know of a tire patch that will fit this - right front tire/wheel. I tried using the TireFit, but it all leaked out. I have no idea what I hit - but it happened as I was exiting the freeway on the way to work yesterday. There was a truck/trailer rig just ahead (with flashers) on the right-hand side of the road, so I started to veer to the left as I approached... then BOOM. Whatever it was, it looks like it actually cut the tire. As I passed the trailer, I had to dodge a bit more debris and as I think about it now, I wouldn't doubt that he might have hit what I hit, too. Anyway, it's over at MB now - hopefully they won't have to order the wheel from Germany.
That wheel can easily be re-conditioned even if it's bent.

What I'd do is visit your local tire shop for a new tire and install it directly on the wheel. By driving the car with a new tire, you can determine if it's bent.

We have guys here who will visit you and fix your wheel on the spot! They tow around a little trailer with a workshop mounted on it. They do a good job, and the dealers use them.

If you want another wheel, there are several firms that sell salvaged wheels and ship anywhere. This is one of several:

Mercedes Factory Wheels | OEM Rims | Up to 50% Off MSRP List!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts