Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - thought I would share some recent observations about rubber choice. My tire store talked me into trying Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2's last go round. The long and short of it is - not that impressed. It seemed like they took a while to break in, but that could've been a byproduct of short drives spreading the break-in period out over a couple months...

Just began noticing that the car wanted to have more fun than the driver did when turning under power - mini-powerslides galore. Predictably, this was a result of the rear tires being out of tread. 10,000 miles in. Alignment and everything else looks good, and while the vehicle is usually driven in excess of the locally suggested speed - it's not tracked or autocrossed.

Switching to Pilot Sport 4S's in 245/35R18 - we'll see how these work out. I'll try to post an update or two. We'll let the fronts hang in there for a while longer..

Attachments

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
792 Posts
I'm envious you found Pilot Sport 4S (as opposed to the PS 4). S's not available in the UK since I would have fitted them instead of PSS. That said, the P Super Sport is an excellent tire with negligible wear after 5K miles. Reviews appear to rate PS4S 1st with better wet grip than the PSS while the PS4 rated 3rd. Keep us posted!

Maya via Tapatalk

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,694 Posts
That rear wear pattern looks fine to me - but what about the fronts? Have you checked the inner edges? Plenty of we 55 owners have received a bit of a shock in that department!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,928 Posts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts