Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am going to purchase new tires this week and was looking for some experienced advice.

The car is a daily driver in Cincinnati where it does get pretty cold over the winter. I'm not that worried about snow, because my wife doesn't drive on snow, so I can always take the SUV then.

My question is...Does it hurt summer tires to drive them in colder weather?

I have read good things about the Michlein Pilot Super Sports, but if this is a problem will go with the Pilot Sport A/S Plus.

Thanks

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,443 Posts
Your question about summer tires, they lose traction when the temp goes cold.

As a daily driver in cold weather where you can have some snow to drive in you might not want a summer tire. Check out Cont. Extreme Contact (DWS) I find them great for all year driving as a daily driver. Check tirerack.com for rating info and reviews on any tire you might want to buy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I have heard good things about the DWS as well.
But I just don't think I could deal with the tread pattern.

I've always had good luck with Michelin tires in the past and will probably stick with one of those two choices.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,389 Posts
i have the continentals dws. Great!

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
A pure summer tire will lose traction and wear down quickly in very cold temperatures.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
849 Posts
...But I just don't think I could deal with the tread pattern...
Curious as to why a concern with the tread pattern on Conti? After review of this forum I have decided to get a set for my next replacement.

One thing I was warned about is that no one here carries Conti DWS our size in stock so with a flat there may be some delay in getting a replacement.

G.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,443 Posts
Curious as to why a concern with the tread pattern on Conti? After review of this forum I have decided to get a set for my next replacement.

One thing I was warned about is that no one here carries Conti DWS our size in stock so with a flat there may be some delay in getting a replacement.

G.
The sizes for the SLK I find you have a very limited choice of in stock tires. Ususally takes 24 to 48 hours to get them out of a distribution center.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Your question about summer tires, they lose traction when the temp goes cold.

As a daily driver in cold weather where you can have some snow to drive in you might not want a summer tire. Check out Cont. Extreme Contact (DWS) I find them great for all year driving as a daily driver. Check tirerack.com for rating info and reviews on any tire you might want to buy.
What he said :tu::tu:

dr, just don't look at the tread :) I have these on my SLK, and they are a terrific tire. I drove the car all Winter; yes, it WAS a very mild Winter, but in the snow we had, the tires performed flawlessly...and they are more than adequate the rest of the year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
potenza

just put on bridgestone potenza pole positions I like better than the michelin pilots that were on it better in the rain handles great

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am going to purchase new tires this week and was looking for some experienced advise.

The car is a daily driver in Cincinnati where it does get pretty cold over the winter. I'm not that worried about snow, because my wife doesn't drive on snow, so I can always take the SUV then.

My question is...Does it hurt summer tires to drive them in colder weather?

I have read good things about the Michlein Pilot Super Sports, but if this is a problem will go with the Pilot Sport A/S Plus.

Thanks
With so many users all over the world, never thought I'd respond to someone else right here in Cinci!

I had a set of pirelli PZeros, and while I drive my 4x4 truck most of the winter, I've tried driving my C5 with the summer Pzeros with a little snow on the ground- Doesnt work. In fact, they had plowed the street and I pulled the car out of my driveway just to use the snow blower, and had to have some neighbors come over and helpd me PUSH the car back in.

I also started losing traction and even spun out when the temperatures neared freezing because of the hardening of the tire. I want to reiterate what a bunch of your other SLK friends have said and that its not just snow you worry about with summer tires, the cold weather hardens the tire so you lose traction even on dry pavement, and you have to drive very carefully all through the winter seasons.

From my experience in Cincinnati (and I spent some time in upstate NY too, the snow capital of the US), driving summer-only tires in winter is just a bad idea, and not worth it on any accounts. Your not necessarily going to do tire damage (Theoretically just a little bit of advanced wear and shortening of the life- unless your talking some Rcomps) but it becomes a risky proposition.

Some of the performance all-seasons are pretty impressive tires for summer driving, so I urge you to look at them (Kumho makes some decent ones for example) if you'll only have one set of tires. If you want two sets, pick up a set of blizzaks for winter and one of the various fine summer-driving tires. Summer-only tires only work in two scenarios: You winterize your car and leave it garaged for 6 months or you have two sets of wheels and you swap them between seasons (thats what I've done for years back when I only had a car or two, as well as many of the performance enthusiasts I know)

Of the ones you listed, I say Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Those are pretty solid tires and should give you good performance that could even hold up on a track day or two!

Good Luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.