Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get the taillights tinted like those on the 55 AMG??? Or where should i go to, like a auto shop or something??? Thanks for any help.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Check with your local dmv first, it may not be leagle to tint the lights.
It's illegal to have clear side markers, it's illegal to have window tint, it's illegal to have no front license plate, it's illegal to pee in public, but we do it anyway. :D

I've seen some on ebay and you can definitely do it yourself by tinting or stray paint.

·
Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,092 Posts
My neighbor got pulled over many times and finally ticketed before removing his taillight tint. They don't like it in Texas either.:(

SLKman:tu:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,047 Posts
Wait...what...it's illegal to pee in public?! :butt:
Wait wait wait....it seems like to many of you guys are doing this... :puke:

The AMG models aren't tinted, the lens are actually molded in a deeper tint. This Technically makes it legal...

·
Super Moderator
17,144 Posts
It's illegal to have clear side markers, it's illegal to have window tint, it's illegal to have no front license plate, it's illegal to pee in public, but we do it anyway. :D

I've seen some on ebay and you can definitely do it yourself by tinting or stray paint.
Your choice what you do, giving someone advice that could lead them into trouble is not cool. All i'm saying is check first, some towns don't bother checking that stuff, some will come down hard on you. If its not factory installed you could be questioned on it.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
If its not factory installed you could be questioned on it.
this hits the nail on the head... if it's factory, it will be legal, if it's after market it may not be. the factories spend big bucks to make sure that they are in compliance with DOT and all state standards whereas many after market producers and modders may not know or care about these standards.

·
Registered
496 Posts
My neighbor got pulled over many times and finally ticketed before removing his taillight tint. They don't like it in Texas either.:(

SLKman:tu:
I don't know about other states, but in Texas the statute does not specifically prohibit lens tinting, but it does specify that "taillamps shall emit a red light which is plainly visible at a distance of 1,000 feet from the rear of the vehicle."

So if you want tinting on your taillamps, you must ensure [at least in Texas] that you comply with the above law. The law is there for a reason...sure, tinted taillamps might look good, but if another motorist can't see you, you might be more likely to get hit and in my opinion that's not worth the risk.

Also, in Texas clear sidemarkers are not illegal. I've got 'em on mine [check out my avatar]. That law states that sidemarkers can emit white or amber lights.

--Mike

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
VHT Nite-Shades SPRAY on EBAY and Summitracing.com costs about $16 shipped.
Try and spray just one coat for SMOKED, and 2-3 coats for BLACK OUT. On my E10 they are factory SMOKED, so I am planning to SMOKE the tails on my Smart car next week. The BLACK OUT is a BIG No-No!!! Unless you are only using it for a car show.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Hmmm - the only spray I've ever used was not removable in any way, shape or form - I think it actually "bonded" with the plastic lens. I don't remember what brand it was, but I'd assume that if it goes pear-shaped, you should be ready to get new tails....

·
Registered
467 Posts
It's illegal to have clear side markers, it's illegal to have window tint, it's illegal to have no front license plate, it's illegal to pee in public,:D

Some day they will figure out the safest way to open a bag of potato chips and legislate that too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts