Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I know I’ve only just joined but I have been lurk8ng for a few weeks

I need some help with my SLK200 the timing chain is broken and I cannot find out how to fit a new chain, everything says to link the new with the old and thread it round.
Mine is broken and off the bottom sprocket already how do I thread the new chain around the bottom sprocket without totally dismantling the front of the engine ?

Really appreciate the write up on the head gasket it’s great reference.

Nelly

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,080 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Gonna check the compression by lifting the cams, but how do I get the chain back round the bottom sprocket if the valves are ok ?
You probably won't. That sort of luck is better used in the lotteries :)

But there is a silver lining on every cloud: If the chain is worn, so are the sprockets and the tensioner (Oh, the tensioner!). These items go down with the chain, and (not well known) a worn chain takes their sprockets with them on the road to perdition. Chain wears by the rollers and link pins, the chain gets a little longer (each link) and beds in to each of the sprockets. A new chain will therefore not fit the worn sprockets perfectly and wear itself down fast.

Ususal remedy is to change the sprockets for new and overhaul the tensioner (new spring etc). All this is done from the front of the engine, and involves new seals and removing covers. Pass the coffee, please :)

BUT, the Engine will be "as new" in this important aspect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update........

I took the plunge and pulled the engine.

All was well into installing replacement until I jammed the spigot bearing and the cage broke up.

Does anyone know the part number of a flywheel spigot bearing for a R170 2.0.

And just when it couldn’t get worse I had my garage burgled and the stole all my sockets boxed tools and power tools, not your normal through the door burglary but they knew what they wanted and broke through a reinforced concrete sectional wall.......:soap::mad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.