Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for me to get a new daily driver. Presently I have a Mazda 3.5 Hatch. Clocked over 40,000 miles on it now in two years. It was cheap, has been reliable and is fun to drive but just a little tinny for me.

I am open to suggestions from this great forum on what to get. So far, I have driven the CLA Class and was not really impressed. If you are not driving it in Sports mode then it really seems doggy. They did not have an AMG to drive and the dealer said they will not have one for quite some time because the factory is busy building pre-sold cars completely. I am still not sure if the twin turbo would convince me to buy however.

I also drove the new Ford Escape Titanium model. It was pretty impressive for what it is. I liked the comfort, the 2.0L Ti-VCT GTDI I-4 Turbo offered 240hp w/270lb. of torque, so plenty of power to get on the freeway. It was loaded with just about every gadget you could want, well appointed interior, automatic computer controlled 4 wheel drive, towing package, 19" wheels, I really liked the versatility. With all the add-on's, could probably be had right now for around $32k.

My preferences would be to have something more like a cross-over, that gets "somewhat" decent mileage, all wheel or 4 wheel drive is nice but not a must, towing package is a must, and I would really like to keep it under $40k.

So, any other suggestions? Anyone own the Escape and want to give their opinions?

It is just so tough to get excited on any daily driver that doesn't cost a fortune. I am really on this "get ready for retirement" mode but certainly can treat myself to something a little nicer than the Mazda 3.5.

·
fastdawg
4,384 Posts
My wife refuses to part with her 2007 Ford Edge, I drove it for 3 years, and then she wanted us to buy it. It'll take dynamite to blast it out of our garage. I daily/bad weather drive my 2013 Chrysler 300S, it's really a nice car to get stuck in rush hour traffic. It's a very nice environment to be stuck in for about 45 minutes to an hour and a half. I do miss my Taurus Limited though. I miss it's weather radar.

·
Premium Member
14,703 Posts
Stinger, go and test drive an Abarth.... Yes it is tiny but the fun Factor is priceless. You can out run an R 172 350 from the green Light....... I did it in Granny Mode.......:rolleyes::D...... and them Bettys love to flirt with you at a red Light.......Btw the Mods are cheaper too........ never Mind on the towing

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's time for me to get a new daily driver.
My preferences would be to have something more like a cross-over, that gets "somewhat" decent mileage, all wheel or 4 wheel drive is nice but not a must, towing package is a must
Regarding the 'towing package', what are you looking to be able to tow with this DD?

Depending on the answer to the above, you might want to consider something like a subaru forester. Well within the price range you're looking and very reliable (my experience).

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator/Florida Event Coordinator
13,817 Posts
Steven, I got excited when I saw the title of this thread...I thought for a minute you were selling your SLK...and you know how much I WANT THAT BEAUTY!

Good luck on your search!xo

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
How about a GLK350?

·
Just a regular guy
1,180 Posts
My son just bought a Subaru Forester with the supercharged boxer engine…..thats a sweet little vehicle. They are highly rated these days also.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
can't be much help I guess-my daily driver is an Audi Q7 TDI!!! not exactly small, but pretty economical surprisingly…..

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
So I'm looking to do pretty much the same. I drove an Audi Q5 last week, and it's a really nice - probably overkill for a DD, but I tend to keep my cars for a while.

I simply don't care for the looks of the GLK, and while I do *love* the looks of the Evoque, the one I drove I didn't fall in love with. Gonna give it another try before I make a final call either way.

The really bad news is that I stopped at the Jag dealer on the way home, and they had an F-Type for me to drive. That's making me look closely at trading the '55! :(

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
An Option . . .

I bought my son an FR-S last month and have been driving it like crazy. It's not a Benz nor anywhere close to one; there's no comparison. The cockpit is minimalist but functional. The gas mileage is amazing. I've been getting over 35 miles per gallon. It's sharp looking as well and I can't really complain since I spent a little less than $27,000 on it.

Attachments

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am a bit "all over the board" :) Like I said in my original post, it is tough to get excited over a daily driver in my price range. Currently wifey drives a Mini Cooper Countryman S and of course I have the SLK, so fun factor is satisfied in both those departments. Plus, I still have not tired of my SLK so I'm not ready to give it up, if I am ever ready to give it up.

So yes, I am looking for something a little more "utilitarian" but sporty, and a small SUV or cross-over seems to fit the bill. As far as towing goes, I have a little 4x6 enclosed utility trailer that is perfect for hauling what-ever when I don't want to bring home a truck from work. Whether we are going to the nursery for plants, the dumps for garbage, taking something large to a family member or just need to pick something up to bring it to the house that won't fit in the back, the little utility trailer really comes in handy and I bought it really cheap. So, that's about the extent of the towing.

Jai, the comparison review that you put up is a little confusing. While the 2014 Ford Escape is ranked at #7, it also says that "However, critics prefer the optional EcoBoost engines for their lively acceleration. test drivers say the 2013 Escape handles a lot like a small car, making it one of the most fun-to-drive cars in the class. The Ford Escape is the 2013 Best Compact SUV for the Money because it has the best combination of ownership costs and positive reviews in its class".

I think that I'm probably leaning towards this car. I really like the idea of the Intelligent 4 Wheel Drive. And the car that I test drove hand an interior that felt really luxurious. I know......it's a Ford, but I the last time that I owned a Ford was a 1984 Thunderbird :) . Maybe it's time to buy American this time around.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts