Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to adjust the steering feel at low speeds on an R172? I would like to tighten the feel for less steering input at lower speeds. I have the standard suspension.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I agree with oldmercman, when I first test drove the car I thought something was wrong as it seems so heavy below 5-10mph, but then really tightens up once you get going.

·
Registered
500 Posts
There seems to be some discrepancy here.. mines a bum basic 2013 250CDi (not AMG Sport) no lowered suspension + 17" wheels and the low speed steering is really light, just like on NMBruce's car. I'm not complaining though. :smile:

Could it be model or version related, or even down to model year?

I think MB changed the suspension to improve the ride on later cars so they may have made other changes as well.

·
Registered
209 Posts
There seems to be some discrepancy here.. mines a bum basic 2013 250CDi (not AMG Sport) no lowered suspension + 17" wheels and the low speed steering is really light, just like on NMBruce's car. I'm not complaining though. :smile:

I think MB changed the suspension to improve the ride on later cars so they may have made other changes as well.
Ah, that might be it, mine is on the sport suspension with 18" wheels, gonna be lowered even more soon so will be interesting to see what it's like then.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I don't mind it being light when parking or turning corners in town, BUT when I am on a nice road and come to a 10 to 20 mph corner, I want it tighter and have more feel.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks for clarifying, I thought it strange that you wouldn't appreciate nice light steering for parking etc. I understand your point now.

·
Banned
974 Posts

Doh! Why didn't I think of that?
Even tried the old fashioned OLDMERCMAN wheeze of adding a few pounds into the front tyres - it made no difference:frown:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts