Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· *Premium Member
2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
2,656 Posts
Great set Tim. Photographer - never seen that shot - gotta love the extended pinky. 😊

Reactions: Slik hot

· *Registered
2015 SLK200
105 Posts
I've got my bored and sad head on tonight and picture 8, the unfortunate fork lift truck has got me thinking.

Sad Anorak Alert

That picture is staged. It must be, for several reasons - bear with me, it doesn't get any more interesting or any less boring.

Basics:
The truck looks like it's a Hyster J3.5XM with a maximum lift capacity of 3500 kg. The beer in question appears to be Keystone Light 15x12oz packs which have a nominal case size of 10" x16.5" x 5" each weighing approx 11.25lb or just over 5kg.
Given the aforementioned rating of the truck, in order to cause such a catastrophic tipover that max capacity would need to be considerably exceeded but given that 3.5 tonnes (684 cases) of beer, stacked on a regular 1000x1200mm (40"x48") pallet would be at least 69 layers or a shade under 26 feet high, this is not only impractical - it's implausible.

Also:
It would be very difficult to tip over a truck underneath a racking system that isn't as tall as the truck itself. Hmmm..

Whatever. Fake or otherwise, it's always a good idea to place some stout wooden blocks underneath the truck so that when it tips back (as it naturally would do upon losing its load) it doesn't damage the expensive racking system that it's been posed next to.

Finally, where is the pallet that these cases would have been stacked on? I've seen plenty of genuine examples of this kind of mishap, even been directly involved in one and they're without exception a bit more spectacular that this one and invariably the pallet (or what's left of it) is somewhere between the load and the truck.

Apart from all that guff, a decent set of pix again(y)

BTW. Anyone guess what I do for a living?

Oh. Nearly forgot. The sand sculpture is amazing.

· *Registered
2017 SL400
1,603 Posts
Construction workers eating lunch for me today,never seen the photographer before (y)
Very Iconic picture & one of my favourites. I spent 45 years in the engineering & construction industry & knowing the safety standards (even from when I first started) that picture always amazes me.

Amazingly the Empire State Building (steel frame structure like the pic) was constructed in 1 year and 45 days (back in the 1930s) - one of the reasons was brilliant planning but I always believed the other was lack of safety standards.:eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.