Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for a renewal, but just curious if you have found it a useful application or a gimmick that you replaced by another app?

Seyley

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,668 Posts
It's time for a renewal, but just curious if you have found it a useful application or a gimmick that you replaced by another app?

Seyley
i just got their survey today
i hardly ever use it and have the lifetime subscription

·
Registered
725 Posts
I use it on occasion to send destination information to the car...and you can do that while moving...my wife can enter info on my phone and send to Benz while were cruising down the highway...

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I use it on occasion to send destination information to the car...and you can do that while moving...my wife can enter info on my phone and send to Benz while were cruising down the highway...

Send destinations? Is this subscription based?

·
93,668 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use it for a few things.
Sending destination, search functionality is greatly improved over nav systems.
I frequently an unsure that I locked my car, so if I am unsure, I can lock it remotely. Can also unlock remotely.
On the rare occasion it is in for service or if I am unable to avoid a valet parking situation, I can have it monitor location or location fence as well as engine starts starts.
It can be used for confirming where parked, or if loaned car to family member, make sure they arrived safely to their destination.
Supposed to be able to schedule service, but I have found that useless, as none of the info/issues I enter into the app seemed to flow into the service rep's system.

·
93,668 Posts
I have MBrace also...

no you don't John mbrace got incorporated into mercedes me....

If you've already created a Mercedes me account, select "Vehicles" from the main menu, scroll to the mbrace section, and click "Link mbrace Account." ...

·
Premium Member
242 Posts

If you've already created a Mercedes me account, select "Vehicles" from the main menu, scroll to the mbrace section, and click "Link mbrace Account." ...
Just looked into it and can't imagine trying it when it gets a 2.2 star rating. Thank you for the heads up regarding lack of usage.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Yup, use it all the time to send destinations as the knob is a royal pain. Also use it to track the car at the dealer to catch them when they "suntan" or "wall" it. Always fun to show them when they claim they were working on it.

Lately it's been unavailable (get an alert) or just dead to start with. Not dependable in a pinch, but perhaps they'll sort it out eventually.

·
Registered
725 Posts

I'll have to check that out...MB just sent me an MBrace renewal ...last week..wonder what's up with that...

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I wonder if the car also needs additional hardware. I thought the ntg 4.5 was too old for this functionality. I called MB România hq today, and they also said ntg 4.5 was too old for this functionality.

Since this was available in mbrace (I'm not aware of mbrace ever being available in Romania tho), I doubt the ntg version to be too old.

I think there is additional hardware requirement tho, which is able to connect to MB servers, and download, and accept commands, remotely.

I am totally willing to retrofit such a device, if only I knew the option code.

Can anybody confirm?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
I wonder if the car also needs additional hardware. I thought the ntg 4.5 was too old for this functionality. I called MB România hq today, and they also said ntg 4.5 was too old for this functionality.

Since this was available in mbrace (I'm not aware of mbrace ever being available in Romania tho), I doubt the ntg version to be too old.

I think there is additional hardware requirement tho, which is able to connect to MB servers, and download, and accept commands, remotely.

I am totally willing to retrofit such a device, if only I knew the option code.

Can anybody confirm?
The only thing that is available to us is the Mercedes ME Adapter which is a dongle that fits in the OBD socket. It monitors certain functions of the car and connects with the MercedesMEAdapter App but is not capable of sending commands to the vehicle. It does however connect to the MB servers through your phones data connection so they can see your mileage etc.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
The only thing that is available to us is the Mercedes ME Adapter which is a dongle that fits in the OBD socket. It monitors certain functions of the car and connects with the MercedesMEAdapter App but is not capable of sending commands to the vehicle. It does however connect to the MB servers through your phones data connection so they can see your mileage etc.
Exactly. That's the way I also knew it.

But the posts above sound confusing...

Adapter and Mercedes ME are two different applications.

Adapter is available on even older vehicles.

But if it's somehow possible, to send destinations to the car, through Mercedes ME...?
I remember reading about being possible using the now discontinued mbrace, which was subscription based.

·
93,668 Posts
I'll have to check that out...MB just sent me an MBrace renewal ...last week..wonder what's up with that...

do you have a lifetime subscription?

was it a renewal or a survey?

·
Registered
60 Posts
For me it would be Thumbs Down. I've never signed up for any of the Mercedes in-car services, such as MBrace, Mercedes Me, Tele-Aid (preceded MBrace), etc. For me, it comes down to need, and I never felt this stuff was needed. I also regard these service systems as a source of privacy intrusion.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, for the UK set up there are 3 sections

For the vehicle monitor services section.

We have 3 of the 5 services available:

Section 1

1.Vehicle Tracker
2.Parking Locator
3.Geofencing
Not available: 4.Valet protect, 5.Speed fencing.
Renewal: 1 year cost £29, 2 year cost £59, 3 year cost £79.

Section 2

Under the vehicle Setup section
I've only got two of the severn services available.

1. Remote retreival of vehicle status
3. Remote door locking and unlocking.

Not available: 2.Personalisation, 4.Auxillary heating/ventilation, 5.Theft notification and parking damage detection, 6.Remote window and sunroof control, 7.Remote window control

Renewal pricing same as section 1.

Section 3

Under the Live traffic Information

I have one of the two avialable services

1. Live Traffic information. (we find this very useful)
Not available: 2. Car to X communication (would be useful will make enquiries).

Renewal price for this one service is 1 year £49, 2 years £89, 3 years £119

So, £277 for the 3 year renewal....

Maybe the apps on the phones cover most of this....

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
I do use it, but will have to think hard when My first renewal comes in...

Useful bits I use:
Remote locking, after it flags up that ones R172 is un-locked..!!
Keep an eye on the tyre pressures (shows from when the car was last used)
Ring fencing the car..
Sometime look at the stat's for the last journey (mpg & how many miles I did)

Not so good bits:
The price on renewal..!!
Mine does no monitor battery voltage (Would be useful, when not being used much in winter..)

Plus, does this ME subscription on My face lift R172 have anything to do with the telemetry data that MB is collecting and passing speeding data onto the UK Police....? :surprise:
(I was talking to a MB owner (not with his SLK) over the weekend, who had had a visit from the Police after exceeding the speed limit - If this is true, I don't remember agreeing for My data, from My car being collected to be used against Me...)

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Plus, does this ME subscription on My face lift R172 have anything to do with the telemetry data that MB is collecting and passing speeding data onto the UK Police....? :surprise:
(I was talking to a MB owner (not with his SLK) over the weekend, who had had a visit from the Police after exceeding the speed limit - If this is true, I don't remember agreeing for My data, from My car being collected to be used against Me...)
That sounds VERY 'Big Brother'. Wonder if he simply got tagged by a 'Community Speed Watch' group who passed his index an to the local police?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts