Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as i sat in bumper to bumper traffic, baking in my car on the n/b freeway through corona today, i decided i needed less sun and more a/c. so cruising at about 5-10 mph i hit the button to rasie the roof. just as it finished closing i heard a beeping horn. a couple in a boxster that came up from behind me gave me a thumbs up and motioned that they were too hot with their ragtop down. varioroof rocks! :rb

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
The best of both worlds LOL!

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:Great technology versus inferior technology. I would say newer versus old, but the vario roof first came out in 1958 (Ford Skyliner), and again with the SLK in 1998. The difference between night and day in 22 seconds. In previous cars, I could have cared less about a sun roof. I didn't think I'd enjoy a vert as much as I have. I do.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
yes but was it massed produced like the ford? (well it was a mass produced car with the top option)

By the way, last time I watched the barret jackson auction (the 06 season of episodes) that ford sold for more then 150,000! And they did a nice section on the history of the hard top convert. The SLK got alot of mention, and some SL.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Some more pictures of the Peugeot Eclipse :
http://www.motorlegend.com/coupe-cabriolet/peugeot-eclipse/6,12821.html

The Eclipse is the name of the patent, which has been invented by a french dentist, in 1935 !!
Peugeot has used this patent, and finally has bought it.
It has been applied on 4 different models (301, 401, 402, 601) from 1935 till 1938.
I haven't found the global qty produced. However, as a luxus vehicle in 1935, it should be very confidential.

You can easaly translate the article (3 pages) with google or similar web site.

·
Premium Member
10,721 Posts
:biglaugh::biglaugh: it's a very standard in France, but basic.

Sometimes, PSA (Peugeot + Citroen group) creates some interesting design :
http://www.c-metisse.com/Uk/index.html
I know I travel to Nice and Cannes nearly every year, I get to go to St Tropez and Monaco too. We used to have a 95 Peugeot 605 it wasnt reliable so we ditched it and got a 01 C320 with AMG kit.

·
Registered
944 Posts
:tu:Great technology versus inferior technology. I would say newer versus old, but the vario roof first came out in 1958 (Ford Skyliner), and again with the SLK in 1998. The difference between night and day in 22 seconds. In previous cars, I could have cared less about a sun roof. I didn't think I'd enjoy a vert as much as I have. I do.
Just a little update for you on the other side of the river.......;)

The first SLK (200 and 230K) actually came on the road in July 1996 :bannana:

They didn't cross the river until 1998.........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts