Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Last August, a van on the fast lane lost control, turned right and guess... It decided to hit me in the left door. The airbags went out and "parked" my SLK to the out fence of the road. I can't get out from my door, so I went out of the car on the other door. The car was hit on the four corners!!!! Fortunatelly, I wasn't hurt.

It's a case of bad luck to be hitten in the right side of the road. After 3 months in the MB mechanical shop, everything was fixed, and my SLK came back home.

The happy ending it's something the mechanical guys explain me: because it's a convertible, all the strong points are very low, so when the van hits me, no torsion was made to the bars, and it's easier to fix the car. In a normal car, the bars are on the upper part of the car too. Our doors are a life insurance.
:rockon::rockon::rockon:
Next time, it will be driving on the fast lane, so no other car it's going to crash me.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Any photos of the original damage? (If you're OK with sharing) Just wanted to check for forensics reason.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
I feel your pain. My former SLK was totaled almost a year ago. My car prevented me from sustaining more serious injuries. I'm glad to hear everything worked out in your favor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Photo MB

Any photos of the original damage? (If you're OK with sharing) Just wanted to check for forensics reason.
Etyu,

I have found one in my mobile. It's not good quality, but I think that you forgive me because was taken at the road, with my legs trembling... It was a rainy day so I think that was the problem. You will realise the damage at the door and in the down part of the car, nothing...

Hope you like it, but I think I'm not going to post it for the Ride of the Month competition.

Attachments

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,709 Posts
Glad you and your baby are ok!!!!!

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Etyu,

I have found one in my mobile. It's not good quality, but I think that you forgive me because was taken at the road, with my legs trembling... It was a rainy day so I think that was the problem. You will realise the damage at the door and in the down part of the car, nothing...

Hope you like it, but I think I'm not going to post it for the Ride of the Month competition.
Thanks for the photo. Glad the door held up very well plus the side airbag. VERY GLAD of no significant body injury to the occupant :tu:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
damn....-__-
pretty bad damage..glad u're ok and the car is finally back on the road :)
Foxyboy,

We know that when we pay top dollar for a car, sometimes there are things that we ignore. Security is expensive, because they have to literally destroy cars to build it better. It's about materials, engineering and most important, what to reinforce and weak in every part of the car.

From to photo, you can clearly see that the door absorved the impact energy, preventing more damages to the car and to me also. I hadn't a scratch, no chest or neck pain, nothing, just the thrill because what happen.

The happing ending, in my opinion, it's that not only our cars are neck turning, marvelous machines that everybody look. It's also safer than some other cars. If I had the same problem with my tiny MR2, I think the result wouldn't be so good for me.

When we buy this car, it isn't only about fancy looks. It's about engineering too. That's important and I try to demostrared it with my history.

Thanks to all people that answer this thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts