Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, for those of you have dealt with hardtop issues, perhaps you can help me diagnose this problem.

First, I have a 1998 SLK 230. The hard top will not go down. When I push the switch to activate the convertible top, the windows all go down and then the trunk starts to lift a few inches on the passengers side, but it will not lift much on the drivers side (maybe an inch).

I assumed it was the hydraulic system, but heres the deal.... I used the allen wrench and depressurized the hydraulic system and took the top down manually. I screwed the allen screw back in, and allowed the hydraulic system to repressurize. I pushed the hardtop switch up and then the top went up perfectly: the trunk lifted, the top unfolded and it locked into place, windows up. It seems obvious it isn't the lifters... can anyone speculate as to what switch/relay it is. It is kind of throwing me for a loop... It will go up but not go down, and its not the hydraulic system.

Thank you in advance for your help. R)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've recently had some problems with my hard top as well. The trunk seems to get stuck when trying to lift. I've noticed this especially happens if I am not parked on an even surface, and realized this is probably my problem. Could that be it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, I can't say that has had an effect. I have been trying to operate it on some very flat grades, and it hasn't worked. Thanks for the suggestion though.

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
There is a limit switch in the trunk for both sides. It is located under all the plastic panels near the main arm for the trunk. If i can find the link with all the switch's i'll post it for you.

·
WESTERN BILL
58 Posts
top won;t retract

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM THE TOP WON'T GO DOWN I TOOK IT IN FOR A DETAILING AND WHEN I GOT IT BACK THE TOP WON;T GO DOWN WHAT IS FIRST THANT I SHOULD LOOK FOR ANY FUSE OR RELAYS SORRY ABOUT THE cAPS I DIDN'T NOTICE WUTILL I WAs finished thanks for any help

·
Registered
579 Posts
Okay so, I am 15 and just bought my first car (slk 230) top didn't work, come to find out the front 3 cylinders were leaking. Bought a kit on ebay for 34 dollors. I fixed it and than ran the top up and down about 7 times, worked perfectly. Than i had the exact same problem. So than i went to the hydraulic pump, took off the aluminum allen next to the depressurizing allen, than i took off that allen (be careful theirs a spring on the end) and there was a little nylon seal on the end of that, and it was all broken up. I put a small o-ring in replacement and cleaned out the hole with WD-40 and than it worked perfect! Take a look at yours. It maybe this or you might just have leaking rear cylinders. Or it might also be fuses like they said above. My back passenger side is leaking also and i just sent them out to a guy in Oregon to get them fixed because the seals are machined in. Heres a link for the guy in Oregon if this is the case. http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/20-r170-slk

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,593 Posts
Bradley,

Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to PM (Private Message) someone, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
New members and guests should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last.

Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member/Moderator

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.