Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We’re big fans of any Bruno Sacco-influenced Mercedes-Benz model, a statement that includes pretty much all of them from the mid-1970s until the late-’90s. His approach, given that Mercedes-Benz’s forefathers invented the automobile, was that of both horizontal and vertical affinity, meaning simply that the Mercedes-Benz range should both look similar to one another and appear timeless in the market. Is there a better example of that idea than the ’R129’ 500 SL?

This Pristine Mercedes-Benz 500SL Must Be The Ultimate Survivor - Petrolicious

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sl500

"Ausgezeichnet" - My daughters boyfriend has a red one. He sold his old 300 diesel to get it. Lovely car. I nearly purchased a V12 SL600 a few years ago. Talk about a Bahn-Burner, I think it turned about 3000 rpm at 120, lol. But it was very heavy and accelerated slower than my C36 AMG 6 cyl (in part due to the very tall gearing). Still it is a pretty beast.

Irish

·
Super Moderator
11,065 Posts
Dunno how old those pics are but it sure does look pristine.

He mentions that he had (installed?) an optional secondary fuel relay cut off switch. I haven't googled yet but I wonder if something similar exists today for after-market installation?

I know today's units have whatever electronic bells etc for that sort of thing but it's nice to have backup :wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts