Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Fanatical Member
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone willing to take the chance.....HERE is an exhaust system for the 280 and 350 R171 2005-2009 that just came up on Ebay. Plus, as an incentive, if you buy it and post a sound video up on YouTube, they will rebate you $50.00.

And if you Google Top Speed Auto there are plenty of other models that they make exhaust systems for with sound videos posted on Youtube already. BTW, go to their website and you will see that they make some headers for the SLK55 as well. Very interesting............

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,089 Posts
Looks like a trombone! whose car is that going to fit under? :D

·
Fanatical Member
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a trombone! whose car is that going to fit under? :D
Ya know Jeff, I was thinking the very same thing. Not the trombone, but will it fit without hanging down, etc...........

But I would say it looks more like a Baritone or small tuba.....lol. I wonder how it would sound?

·
94,089 Posts
you'd have to drill a big hole in the trunk to get that to fit.

·
94,089 Posts
Read the small print if you can :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Ehhhhh...

I feel bad because I understand how hard it is to enter a market that has so many established players in it, but a few things come to mind:

1. If they engineered this, why is there no picture of it installed successfully?
  2. Why do they not have their own sound clip?
  3. What is the decibel rating? Important for state/provincial laws.
For all I know it can be 100% legitimate and sound great, but they do not do themselves any favors by not providing more information.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The brand is Top Speed...aka China built products. These China exhaust systems get better and better every year. If it fits I think it should sound good. I wouldn't buy until I see it installed on a car.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Too bad the headers aren't the real thing..

One thing for sure, the way the OE pipes look crushed down there is a major exhaust restriction at the tail end of the 171 AMG exhaust system.

What is the seller saying about fitment?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have it installed on my 2005 SLK350. Perfect fit using factory hangers. It’s the same basic size as factory mufflers. Looks great, sounds great. I love the quad tips. It is a bit loud for some people, but I’m use to Detroit Street Rods. I’m working on recording the sound. It’s a job getting the recording to sound as good as real life. Basically, from my searching the internet, it is the only car specific unit I could find on my side of the Ocean, and for a much lower price than what is available from Europe. Overall, I’m happy with the install and glad I made the investment.

Please let me know how to upload pictures and I'll post a pic of my car. I think it is posted in my Garage.

Attachments

·
94,089 Posts
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have it installed on my 2005 SLK350. Perfect fit using factory hangers. It’s the same basic size as factory mufflers. Looks great, sounds great. I love the quad tips.
Where did you get the spoiler that's in between the exhaust tips? (I've never seen this kind of spoiler before…) :surprise:

·
DAS/STAR Registered Owner
4,018 Posts
Anyone willing to take the chance.....HERE is an exhaust system for the 280 and 350 R171 2005-2009 that just came up on Ebay. Plus, as an incentive, if you buy it and post a sound video up on YouTube, they will rebate you $50.00.

And if you Google Top Speed Auto there are plenty of other models that they make exhaust systems for with sound videos posted on Youtube already. BTW, go to their website and you will see that they make some headers for the SLK55 as well. Very interesting............

Looks to be finished well ... now if they did one without the mufflers ....

·
Registered
804 Posts
Looks to be finished well ... now if they did one without the mufflers ....
Then you'd just be buying a piece of pipe! :grin:

I'm not too keen on the fact the exhaust flow changes direction 180 degrees two times before it exits - would have thought it would create a fair amount of back pressure...

I'd guess they do it that way because there's very little in the way of obstruction/sound deadening material inside the muffler casings, which are very small. Typically small muffler cans = ricer exhaust sound, but on a meaty V6 motor it might be OK though I suspect it would be L-O-U-D!

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
26 Posts
Then you'd just be buying a piece of pipe! :grin:

I'm not too keen on the fact the exhaust flow changes direction 180 degrees two times before it exits - would have thought it would create a fair amount of back pressure...

I'd guess they do it that way because there's very little in the way of obstruction/sound deadening material inside the muffler casings, which are very small. Typically small muffler cans = ricer exhaust sound, but on a meaty V6 motor it might be OK though I suspect it would be L-O-U-D!

Cheers,
Brian
Yes, they are too loud for some people, but just right for others. I’d say they are on par with the new Jaguar F-Type R Coupe on Sport setting. Unabashedly, authoritatively LOUD!

·
Fanatical Member
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, they are too loud for some people, but just right for others. I’d say they are on par with the new Jaguar F-Type R Coupe on Sport setting. Unabashedly, authoritatively LOUD!
@dm_mi Can you make a YouTube video and post it on here so we can hear them?

·
Registered
26 Posts
@dm_mi Can you make a YouTube video and post it on here so we can hear them?
Working on it. I have tried recording the sound from the passenger compartment, from the rear bumper, from the roll bars, and from the trunk. I think the trunk seems the best. The car is in for maintenance this week, but I will try and get to it again next week. I am quite the armature at this process so bear with me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Working on it. I have tried recording the sound from the passenger compartment, from the rear bumper, from the roll bars, and from the trunk. I think the trunk seems the best. The car is in for maintenance this week, but I will try and get to it again next week. I am quite the armature at this process so bear with me.
Here is what I could create with the equipment I have. It is not the best, but I think it will give you some idea of the sound from the Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust. It was created entering and exiting the local express way a few times. Sounds best with headphones or powered speakers. I attached the clip to a PDF file so it would upload. Just click on the paper clip on the far left to view the attachments and click on the MP3 file. I hope it works.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here is what I could create with the equipment I have. It is not the best, but I think it will give you some idea of the sound from the Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust. It was created entering and exiting the local express way a few times. Sounds best with headphones or powered speakers. I attached the clip to a PDF file so it would upload. Just click on the paper clip on the far left to view the attachments and click on the MP3 file. I hope it works.
Make sure you request that the PDF open with Adobe Reader or else the attachment will not show. For me, when I clicked on the icon, it sent the request to the bottom of the page. I could then open the drop down section where I could select "always open with Adobe Reader". Then I could see the attached MP3 file. If anyone knows of an easier way to attach MP3 files, please let me know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts