Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that us SL owners might have over looked this site in the past thinking it was primarily for SLK but this is changing. In a very short time Dan our member and co-founder for a better word is an EXPERT in all things Mercedes and he will be prepared to answer questions in the near future.
I encourage you to view the site and join, it is free for the basic,s but we do have levels of paying memberships and the site is totally supported by these DONATIONS ( Bill T our founder is supporting what cost that donations do not cover ).
I think once you see the caliber of the site and the members you will join.
This is a world wide site it is clean no trashing here --- just car people talking and getting together to admire each others cars.
So sign up and enjoy.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Cool, an SL section! :tu:

Has anyone installed the SmartTop on an SL?

·
Premium Member
10,721 Posts
Well, yeah Mo...we even have R170s on here too. :tu:

Seriously, though, I do intend on owning an SL one day. Gotta get some things in order first.
Yes an SL is an extraordinary car, I plan to have an SL one day but I decided to give the SLK a try since I wanted one badly when the 230k's came out in 1998. I hope to own a dark coloured SL AMG whenever it releases, however the financial crises might push my ambition a couple of years longer down the road but good things come to an end. I could of gotten a new SL55 back in late 2005 when I was ordering my SLK but I decided to keep it for latter period.

All I know that the next SL AMG will have a 5.0L V8 Twin turbo 550hp. SLKcop sorry about the R170 not being mentioned I tend to forget sometimes, please do accept my apology.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Cool, an SL section! :tu:

Has anyone installed the SmartTop on an SL?

Helped a friend install one last weekend - was about as easy as an SLK, and the damned canbus cover is just as much a pain in the arse! The CANBUS leads are reversed from the SLK, but the documentation covers that.

Upside was I got to drive the car (SL500) - was very nice, but a much different car than the SLK. I've never really felt my SLK was "small" but going from one to the other, I really noticed the difference.

Seats are MUCH nicer in the SL - what you would expect in a Mercedes. Fortunately the wifey was already back across the pond, so she didn't get to go for a ride! :)

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
Helped a friend install one last weekend - was about as easy as an SLK, and the damned canbus cover is just as much a pain in the arse! The CANBUS leads are reversed from the SLK, but the documentation covers that.

Upside was I got to drive the car (SL500) - was very nice, but a much different car than the SLK. I've never really felt my SLK was "small" but going from one to the other, I really noticed the difference.

Seats are MUCH nicer in the SL - what you would expect in a Mercedes. Fortunately the wifey was already back across the pond, so she didn't get to go for a ride! :)
I had a look yesterday on eBay (always shopping, you know) and there were several nice SLs with low miles for about the same price as the SLK55. Question now: which would be preferable? I know, completely different cars, but both have very strong points. If prices keep going down, I may have to get one or the other. Of course, I'll probably time the purchase about as well as I play the stock market, so don't hold your breath...

·
Premium Member
10,721 Posts
From a birds eye perspective, I Imagine the SL-series as a car that is larger than an SLK, has the comfort of the seats from an S-class in a mercedes roadster that is classy, sport and very refined.

·
Premium Member
3,047 Posts
I had a look yesterday on eBay (always shopping, you know) and there were several nice SLs with low miles for about the same price as the SLK55. Question now: which would be preferable? I know, completely different cars, but both have very strong points. If prices keep going down, I may have to get one or the other. Of course, I'll probably time the purchase about as well as I play the stock market, so don't hold your breath...
if you are comparing a used non-AMG SL to an SLK 55, then it's a matter of preference between comfort and performance. I was in the same position and went for the 55.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Help! getting my SL's front bumper off

Hi all,
Please can anyone send me the info in how to remove the front bumper of a 2001 SL500 AMG car.

Anyone?

Thank you,

Brian

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts