Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mercedes-Benz, a luxury car company founded in 1926, makes an average $339 profit every second.

This amounts to an average $20,310 every minute, $1,218,656 every hour and $29,247,743 every 24 hours, according to Staveley Head, a U.K.-based car insurance provider.

Staveley Head looked at the financials of 14 iconic car brands, including Mercedes-Benz. It used global yearly profit data from Mercedes' 2017 annual report and divided that by time periods — for example, it divided total 2017 profit by 365 to get a daily average. It did the same with 2017 revenue and units sold.

Mercedes-Benz makes $1,017 profit in three seconds. This is more than the median weekly earnings in the U.S. for wage and salary workers in July 2018, who brought in $876 a week, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. In 48 hours, Mercedes-Benz makes a profit of $58,495,488. This is more than Barack Obama's net worth of $40 million.

"We decided to break the figures down to show exactly how much the world's leading brands make every second, minute, hour and day worldwide, to create an actual picture of how the industry looks right now," Staveley Head managing director Ashley Peters tells CNBC Make It. "When looking at the recent performance of Mercedes sales and profits worldwide versus competitors, it's clear to see that Mercedes are one of the leaders in the 'luxury' car sales market."

When it comes to revenue, Mercedes-Benz brings in an average $12,535,200 every hour and $300,844,800 every day. It sells five cars a minute and 7,200 cars in one day.

Mercedes-Benz ranked #3 in revenue among Ford, Hyundai, Subaru, Porsche, Toyota, Bentley, Volkswagen, Skoda, Jaguar Land Rover, SEAT, Ferrari and Aston Martin.

https://www.staveleyhead.co.uk/assets/sales-by-the-second/statistics/

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,215 Posts
As with all number crunching one of my fav phrases is one that may have been said by British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli:

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Is this gross profit? Net profit? Profit before IT? Profit after IT? Correctly should be NIBT (Net Income Before Taxes, etc).

DIfferent companies put a different spin on their numbers depending on who they're trying to impress. OR in the case of the tax authorities, downplay :wink:

If they used the same "sort" of financials (and that's ambiguous in itself), fine. But readers still have to look at these numbers and say "So?" Without context, they really dont mean a heck of a lot.

How Is Profit Different Than Net Income?
Profit, conversely, can refer to a number of figures. Profit simply means revenue that remains after expenses.

While net profit is synonymous with net income, corporate accountants calculate profit at a number of levels. For example, gross profit is revenue less the cost of goods sold, or COGS. Operating profit refers to revenue less COGS and operating expenses.

Calculating profit at different stages allows companies to see which expenses take the biggest bite out of the bottom line.

Much of business performance is based on profitability in its various forms. Some analysts are interested in top-line profitability, whereas others are interested in profitability before expenses, such as taxes and interest, and still others are only concerned with profitability after all expenses have been paid.

Sorry Daniel, it's the accountant in me :grin:

Reactions: nimbusgb

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wow, it's quite staggering to think about it like that!

Len, that's a good point, but at the same time I feel like if I was offered a job with an hourly rate of $1,218,656 I wouldn't really care if that figure was pre or post tax! :grin: Either way it's still a boat load of money!

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this gross profit? Net profit? Profit before IT? Profit after IT? Correctly should be NIBT (Net Income Before Taxes, etc).
LOL Len I just posted it for Entertainment Value just like this video......:grin::grin:

·
14,215 Posts
I know your reasons Daniel, but some people believe everything they read because "they saw it on the internet :wink: "

Reactions: Berliner Heckflosse

·
14,215 Posts
first sentence says "profit".. which usually means Net... right??
Lot's of "profit" out there Aaron. Used to be called Profit and Loss Statement although it's now an Income Statement (although both can be used) and has been for at least 20 years.

Profit is not the term that is currently used (it's now "Income"), but I'll continue using it solely because it's in the "first sentence" :wink:

In simplest terms, everything you ever wanted to know about an Income Statement:

Gross Sales --->everything you sell

Net sales = Gross sales – Discounts and Returns

Gross profit = Net sales – Cost of goods sold

Operating profit = Gross profit – Total operating expenses

Net profit = Operating profit – taxes – interest

So as you can see, there are lots of profits out there. It all depends on what you're talking about :tu:

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,440 Posts
Lot's of "profit" out there Aaron. Used to be called Profit and Loss Statement although it's now an Income Statement (although both can be used) and has been for at least 20 years.

Profit is not the term that is currently used (it's now "Income"), but I'll continue using it solely because it's in the "first sentence" :wink:

In simplest terms, everything you ever wanted to know about an Income Statement:

Gross Sales --->everything you sell

Net sales = Gross sales – Discounts and Returns

Gross profit = Net sales – Cost of goods sold

Operating profit = Gross profit – Total operating expenses

Net profit = Operating profit – taxes – interest

So as you can see, there are lots of profits out there. It all depends on what you're talking about :tu:
This is why I leave the smart stuff to the smart folk! 0:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts