1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Wow. That is very grim and sad. I guess they needed to be in a S Class on that occasion. That is absolutely horrible and sadly reminds us how fragile life is.

I wonder what kind of speeds were involved?

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
911, they said highspeed but did not give any kilometers / mph also they don,t know why the driver hit the tree on a straight road.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
3,726 Posts
Not Nice :(

of note i have had the missfortune of having to recover a ambulance that would not start after being at the scene of a rta involving a tree and a volvo v40 .

Sadly a young boy lost his life in that , the car had been traveling at 50mph and the scene was as bad as on the video posted.

as they say its not the speed that kills you its the stoping and trees that size do not move

very sad

·
Registered
74 Posts
I lost a friend to a car v tree accident 15 yrs ago. Slow speed maybe 15 mph impact but it was side on and an old car

·
Registered
420 Posts
By the looks of the car, it was definitely 100+, and no vehicle can help you at 100+MPH to a full stop... It's just not possible.

·
Registered
352 Posts
yeah, definitely 100+ by the way the car was shredded. The slk isn't exactly a tiny car either if you're going by weight.

At 1:08, why does it look like there's airbag coming out of the driver seat?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
yeah, definitely 100+ by the way the car was shredded. The slk isn't exactly a tiny car either if you're going by weight.

At 1:08, why does it look like there's airbag coming out of the driver seat?
The R171 has airbags in both seats. Maybe I don't fully grasp the question.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I always thought the side impact bags came out of the door panel.
I think the R172 has added some to the doors.

However, yeah, the R171 had these rather small looking ones that came out of the side of the seat. They were a bit unique as even the side head chamber came from the seat of course the reason being there is no way to have the curtain ones in the convertible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.