Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200K - From Kent, UK
6,362 Posts
Got oil and filter changed a few days ago. Cap is on pretty tight. Bad or no O ring?
Hazzard a guess the O ring rubber has been fitted in wrong groove inside the cut out groove In filter housing
or not fitted correctly as in rubber has twisted.

or worst case its beem cross threaded and housing has a hairline crack .

But more than likely its the O Ring seal issue or has been damaged or split .
Req removing and inspecting to eliminate the above first .

Basically user error .

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
9,033 Posts
Hazzard a guess the O ring rubber has been fitted in wrong groove inside the cut out groove In filter housing
or not fitted correctly as in rubber has twisted.
/\ /\ /\ This would also be my conclusion before I ripped it out to confirm ;)

BTW Cap should not be very tight !! 25Nm is moulded into the Cap, i.e. snugged down and nipped up !!

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
3,896 Posts
My bet is on no O-ring!

Anyone wanna bet another 0.05£?
Nope, but hand tight and then forgetting to nip it up with the filter wrench would give the same result .. possibly .. if someone was maybe stupid enough to do just that .. which no-one is .. ever .. :unsure: :rolleyes: 🙃

·
*Registered
1,075 Posts
Nope, but hand tight and then forgetting to nip it up with the filter wrench would give the same result .. possibly .. if someone was maybe stupid enough to do just that .. which no-one is .. ever .. :unsure: :rolleyes: 🙃
It doesn't match the "... pretty tight..." in the first post but I am certain you point is very accurate!

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
9,033 Posts
hand tight and then forgetting to nip it up with the filter wrench would give the same result .. possibly ..
It doesn't match the "... pretty tight..." in the first post but I am certain you point is very accurate!
Nope, hand tight doesn't leak, try it ;) you only need to nip it to 25Nm to prevent it coming looser ;)

If you look at the design, where the O Ring sits on the cap, bore of aluminium housing etc you can see why, and you can also see why the "gung ho mechanic / oil and filter change is easy ers" inadvertently put the new ring in the wrong place, and therefore you will see why it then leaks as per @Delucas post ....

Hazard a guess the O ring rubber has been fitted in wrong groove inside the cut out groove In filter housing
:p :p :p :p :p

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big O Ring was placed in the grooves instead of where it was supposed to go, as well as the filter cap being screwed on a little too tight, which may have also snapped the O Ring. All fixed. That's what happens when I'm lazy and ask someone else to change my oil and filter. 😆

Attachments

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200K - From Kent, UK
6,362 Posts
Big O Ring was placed in the grooves instead of where it was supposed to go, as well as the filter cap being screwed on a little too tight, which may have also snapped the O Ring. All fixed. That's what happens when I'm lazy and ask someone else to change my oil and filter. 😆
Overtightening Housing unit would not snap O ring !
it was fitted incorectly & upon screwing housing on caught O ring and spun it as such causing eventually to split it .

in my own opinion. 😎😎

As said User error !
take else where to a competent mechanic next time .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts