Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm one of the 'unlucky' ones who will be starting the 12-week staycation at home, so I was wondering of the merits either way of SORNing the 5er and Silkie while incarcerated.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

·
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll also see what affect SORN has on car insurance too - as I'm not driving it, I must be a lower risk? I'll enquire and see what comes about.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,113 Posts
I know you will be aware, but others might not.

Vehicle must not be parked on road, or public land.

I see the financial benefit (considered myself as my tax due).
In my case I will use for shopping minus the 1 hr runs to keep it 'oiled'
It is also back up should I need to get to our elderly and vulnerable.

Once we are released from lockdown/self isolation there is the hassle of taxing.
And possibly needing MOT with a lot in the same boat, should this go on too long.

·
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Myk. Those don't apply to myself, but good points to consider.
I won't be leaving the house for 12 weeks so worth considering for both my cars.
Mrs. Savcom will keep hers running for emergencies etc.

·
26,113 Posts
I think, in your circumstances it is worth it, Martin.
Otherwise it is dead money.
As you say, insurance 'should' drop.
Good luck getting through to them though.

·
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's it: The BMW (Kellie) and Silkie are both SORNed till further notice. I'll update the insurance - when I can finally get through. No driving for me for a while.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,451 Posts
That's it: The BMW (Kellie) and Silkie are both SORNed till further notice. I'll update the insurance - when I can finally get through. No driving for me for a while.
Now you can get the SLK cleaned --clay bar, all those leaves you seem to collect, and all the other stuff we tend to put off for that rainy day (y)

·
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep.

Then she'll be all dressed up - with no-where to go! 😥

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
502 Posts
Once we are released from lockdown/self isolation there is the hassle of taxing.
And possibly needing MOT with a lot in the same boat, should this go on too long.
There is no hassle in taxing - just go on line and a few mouse clicks, put in card details and it is taxed.

The red one is SORN'd a few times a year and very easy to SORN online.

As for cheaper insurance there is normally an 'admin' charge for altering insurance which will probably be more than the saving.

·
26,113 Posts
There is no hassle in taxing - just go on line and a few mouse clicks, put in card details and it is taxed.

The red one is SORN'd a few times a year and very easy to SORN online.

As for cheaper insurance there is normally an 'admin' charge for altering insurance which will probably be more than the saving.
Normally, yes,
but a lot of folks are sorning second cars.
IF (big if) we are let loose come summer, want to bet dvla struggles.

·
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One site I've found that has not slowed down at all during the crisis is the UK government site, so perhaps there is capacity...

Now looking at car covers. I'll start another thread. :geek::cool:

·
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Non-essential building works are now prohibited here.... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,451 Posts
Non-essential building works are now prohibited here.... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I think they are called "make work projects" here. Isn't that where one workie is digging a hole surrounded by 3 supervisors 😉 ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts