Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking of leaving... Left - update on Page 2

Very tempted by a Lexus IS-F, would get more use out of it as can fit the whole family and the glorious sound of a V8.

Still have that nagging feeling will miss the SLK when the sun comes out though!

*Update - well it happened, first thoughts on page 2.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
It would be cheaper & better buying / renting a garage. I can't remember how long you've had yours, but 'better the devil you know' etc. etc. - in the next few years, you will still feel the need for an open top car. If you sell yours now, you'd be giving it away, - personally, I'd just use it when you want to, and park it up for the rest of the time.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Well I guess an 04 350 is worth about GBP8k or so. So unless that's a major factor, Woolly has a point. On the other hand, if you can't afford to keep it as a fun car, then maybe it's time to move on. At least you've had an SLK.

No need to leave the forum though..

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys; I have very much considered hanging on to it, had it just over 4 years and it's still in superb condition and fully fully loaded with only 31,500 miles and they are only offering around the £8-8.5k mark although would try and sell for £9.5-10k privately.

It's just cost really, keeping another car taxed and insured plus don't have a garage or really space on the drive for a third car :(

Have thought about trying to get my father in law to update his garage by taking the SLK and moving out his MG but doubt he would go for that.

I love the MB C63 however having sampled both Lexus and MB dealerships / servicing / running costs Lexus wins hands down on all 3.

Would pass it on to the missis but no way can shift the little one around in it :(

Will see if my sister can afford to upgrade (she has a R170)

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
Very tempted by a Lexus IS-F, would get more use out of it as can fit the whole family and the glorious sound of a V8.

Still have that nagging feeling will miss the SLK when the sun comes out though!
:tu:Good choice. I have a 2011 Lexus IS 350 F-Sport that I've had a year. I considered the IS-F, but was way more car than I needed for a daily driver. The F-Sport is less than a F, but more than a IS. A nice compromise. I considered other cars, but had been eyeing the Lexus IS for years. Luckily, I still have my wife's SLK 350 when I get the urge, and I do.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts

You could get the IS 350 C RWD but if money isn't an issue, I would go for the IS-F. As for the styling... Well that's why I have my Mercedes SLK R171. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TBH my choice would most likely be a IS350 AWD however in the UK our choices consist of:

IS250 RWD
IS-F

That's it, finito, no other choices :(

The IS250 is superb car but just not exciting, too slow. The IS350 would be about right performance wise but not available and hey who doesn't love the sound of a V8 ;)

GT-R is truly superb but prices hardly seem to move for used and space in the back is.... and also like more luxury.

Another thing is reliability, buying a high performance car the last thing you want is things breaking that cost a fortune to fix.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I found a truly amazing deal, an 11 plate ISF pre-reg with 5 miles on the clock for £39,850 (List is £58,000) but unfortunately it got sold while I was haggling.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the deal is done, poor old SLK going in for trade on Fri (Will have some official MB AMG bonnet vents for sale after then if anyone interested) It was obviously meant to be as day after that one got sold out while haggling found what I can only describe as deal of the decade!

It's a 3 month old 61 plate delivery mileage Lexus ISF in USB, was £1k more than the previous one but:

Newer plate and newer car
Taxed
Moonroof (£1.3k option and a rare but desirable have, especially coming from convertible and to make the most of hearing that V8!)

Also got them to throw in:

Tracker
Car seat
3yr GAP Insurance
3yr Tyre Insurance
Paint and Interior protection
£300 fuel card

All in all can't be bad including 30% of list price!

Will post some pics when not on an iPad, can't seem to add them from this.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:Congratulations on your IS-F. UltraSonic Blue is a beautiful color. Very different car from the SLK. You'll still have performance, but a "comfy" ride. Lexus forums are very active and BIG into modding. Almost an obsession. Would recommend you check out clublexus.com which I think is the best. Much younger crowd, but definitely not the personal, friendly atmosphere here. Welcome to the four door crowd.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very true this forum is probably the most helpful and friendly forum I have ever used. Even though I may be temporarily SLKless I'll still be visiting frequently! Anyway time for some pics...enjoy!!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts