Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,653 Posts
Ok folks .......

My silver 55 AMG is just soooooo boring!

I am getting in a set of 16 spoke AMG alloys to match the ones off my 171 55 and will have those painted to offset what comes next.

I am looking at getting a full, stripped back to basics, professional, respray of the car.

Interior is Black on brushed silver aluminium

White, Ice white, .... or a pearlescent derivative possibly with a blue hue. reskin Ali interior with Carbon and do a carbon look version.

or

Fine metallic blue to match the Mercedes blue of my 171. ( Paint code 345 ) A lovely colour and much admired.

or

Red, probably a deeper fine metallic but I do fancy the Audi 'Tango red'.

or something completely off the wall, not bluebadgers purple but something 'different'

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
If you have the boring black interior I can imagine some color on the outside. If you are not afraid the orange one presented by AMG a while back is tempting or a stripe of somekind.

In any case I would opt for a sticker first to see how responses are of the cloud and yourself. I've got the same color on the outside but a lot of red on the interior. It compensates...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Seems extreme for a car so new , could you do a wrap instead .
In my view red looks good on Ferrari’s but doesn’t suit the R172 as well. White works well but would be interested in seeing the extreme colours you mention .

Andy

·
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry but orange just doesn't do it for me. Saw that one from AMG and was not impressed.

Seems extreme for a car so new , could you do a wrap instead .
In my view red looks good on Ferrari’s but doesn’t suit the R172 as well. White works well but would be interested in seeing the extreme colours you mention .

Andy
Committed to long term ownership ( or a divorce! ) :)

Red 172 made it as 'ride of the year' here so it can't be that bad! :)

I like this ( from slk owners on FB )

Attachments

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,044 Posts
Sorry but orange just doesn't do it for me. Saw that one from AMG and was not impressed.

Committed to long term ownership ( or a divorce! ) :)

Red 172 made it as 'ride of the year' here so it can't be that bad! :)

I like this ( from slk owners on FB )
If the paintwork is faultless id go and do some subtle mods to car or as mentioned vinyl wrap .
And even if you keep car one day the paint respray may start to show faults ?

Future owner may question why car has had a respray as one day it will be sold on .

·
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the paintwork is faultless id go and do some subtle mods to car or as mentioned vinyl wrap .
And even if you keep car one day the paint respray may start to show faults ?

Future owner may question why car has had a respray as one day it will be sold on .
Take pictures and document before and after a respray, current paint job is immaculate but oh so boring.

Chances are the car is going to last me 10 years at least, perhaps a little more and at 70 I won't care!

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK350
599 Posts
Pricing the paint jobs up they prices ranged quite a bit depending on the finish you want and if you want a full job or half a job.
Only bits I didn’t do were the struts? In the engine and that was £1000 extra didn’t see the point.
The wraps for a really good job were about £1000 less I just thought it was more likely to damage a wrap.
Still looking at changing interior but that’s as expensive as the paint job but exhaust comes next.
Look at the paint charts in and outdoors if I hadn’t done that and just looked in the show room I’d have ended up with the wrong colour. As it ended up the guys blended the paint to get the exact colour I wanted.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
5,872 Posts
I have the same exterior paint as you but I do have the Bengal Red seats which give it a bit of contrast. One thing I don't like with mine is the Aluminium interior trim finish and I am also toying with the idea of Carbon Fibre wrap. . It will be good to see the finished result with your car whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
349 Posts
Here in SoCal respray prices vary a lot depending on quality, factory quality is VERY expensive and takes a long time.Usually its cheaper to sell your car and buy the color you want in factory paint. Even better, buy the color you like in the first place.

Changing colors is MUCH worse as you either need to leave original paint on hard to paint areas, or tear down a lot more.

OTOH many people buy used cars with cheap resprays and seem happy about it.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,519 Posts
Regarding a NEW colour change, wifey's civic has got the Honda paint-peel (that wasn't honoured up here) so I looked into getting it repainted in a colour she really wanted.

Original paint not an issue as much less taping to do BUT to totally change it, well how far into the car are you willing to go? The door frames would be different, trunk deck would be different etc UNLESS that paint got scraped off as well.

WAY more work (translated to BIG$$$$) to change colours so unless you've got a clear and firm estimate for a price you can live with, like Mike says find the car with the colour you want and go from there.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
509 Posts
A proper color change requires a lot of disassembly and you'll never match the luster and integrity of baked on paint from the manufacturer, I'm no expert on after market paint jobs but I worked many years in paint booths at GM and Toyota on their robots and I can tell you there's a lot that goes into painting a car, at least the e-dip won't be compromised if you decide to go forward so the car shouldn't rust readily. Personally I like silver, it's the most popular color for all vehicles because it doesn't show dirt and looks classy.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK350
599 Posts
It is expensive for a proper job but it all depends what you want for the first time in my driving life I have a car I want to keep. Dad was in the motor trade so I was used to changing cars my mates always joked the mot was due the cars gonna be sold.
I hadn’t appreciated how much work goes into a respray and totally get why the guys had horrified looks when I said will it be done in two weeks.
I’ll see if I can grab the before middle and after shots.
I was really worried about it going wrong funnily the business was worried I was gonna say don’t like it and I’m not paying.
Yes it was a lot of money but I couldn’t find the car I wanted and I wouldn’t have got this colour so it was my only option and unlike most women I’d rather have my purple car than diamonds.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,241 Posts
Knowing you I bet you'll research the paintshops.
Price is no guarantee.

I'm lucky enough to have spent some time around paintshops in my teen years.
The guys that did Deb's car gave all the right answers and explained reasoning very well.

I like the deep metallic reds (considered it as a future option should the time come).
But I also love blue. That light blue on the 55 looks good.
It also benefits on tours. It doesn't show rainspots up as quickly as darker colours.

Look forward to seeing what you get up to.

·
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A proper color change requires a lot of disassembly and you'll never match the luster and integrity of baked on paint from the manufacturer, I'm no expert on after market paint jobs but I worked many years in paint booths at GM and Toyota on their robots and I can tell you there's a lot that goes into painting a car, at least the e-dip won't be compromised if you decide to go forward so the car shouldn't rust readily. Personally I like silver, it's the most popular color for all vehicles because it doesn't show dirt and looks classy.
Interesting, I spend some time with a company installing and commissioning paint equipment for Nissan, Citroen and Ford, out in South Africa. Before the days of robots though but some of the work we were doing was foundation to that later.

·
509 Posts
Interesting, I spend some time with a company installing and commissioning paint equipment for Nissan, Citroen and Ford, out in South Africa. Before the days of robots though but some of the work we were doing was foundation to that later.
When I got in the field back in the 80's the robotics industry was in it's infancy, most robots were servo controlled hydraulics and CPUs by today's standards were very limited and very expensive, memory was an entirely different thing than what we have now. I did quite a bit of work for Ford in spot welding and material handling robots and some limited applications for Nissan in Smyrna, TN including robots that sprayed bee's wax in the wheel wells as a rust preventative and sound deadener. Maybe you had experience with or ties to companies like Devilbiss, Graco, or Nordson? Ole Molaug inevitably developed the first paint robots for both Devilbiss (re-branded Trallfa robots) and later for Graco he developed the OM series (for Ole Molaug) of robots. By the late 80s I realized through observation that US companies like Westinghous / Unimation, Cincinnati Milacron and Prab who were the three primary US pioneers in robotics were more interested in selling out technology for short term gains than investing in development for the future, it all started when Joe Engelberger introduced the Japanese to robotics and gradually Unimation became Kawasaki Robotics. I was blessed to have had many contacts in the industry both on the supplier side and customer side and job offers were plenty, I eventually aligned myself with a Japanese International namely because I admired their work ethic and commitment to R&D and recommended and assisted in development of many design changes over my 22 years with them.

One thing I know for certain is a complete color change on a car would involve disassembly of the entire vehicle because before the vehicle is painted it enters the paint shop as what they call body in white or white body, then proceeds to e-dip (electrostatic priming) where the entire body is submerged in an electrically charged bath of either gray or black primer as to suck (for lack of a better word) primer into every exposed or unexposed crack of the body. When the vehicle enters the paint booth it is naked aside from the primer and even the inside of the deck lid and doors are painted the final color. My car is silver, if I were to decide tomorrow I wanted a different color I would sell it and buy my desired color, I'd probably lose $2 to $4K in the process which is a lot cheaper than what a complete color change would cost if done properly.

Nice to connect with someone with a similar background on here, let me know if you recognize any of the companies or names I mentioned.:nerd::nerd::nerd:

·
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In the early late 70's in South Africa we were out in the cold as far as technology was concerned but to be fair the whole microelectronics field was just getting going. I was working on Intel 4004 processors. 1 or 2 K of EPROM ( uv erased! ) and handfulls of discrete TTL logic to do things. First job was a transfer table from a single spray booth conveyor to 2 1/2 speed oven conveyors!

I learned so much on that first job that served me well over the years. Watched the first 5 bodies on skids go into a bath tunnel ........ to eventually have to be cut out in a single crumpled heap.

A tens of thaousands of litre primer e-dip tank draining into a 2 thousand litre filter basket holder ( the floor of that plant is still red to this day :) )

Bolts left out of 100 kw aircon fan mountings! ( the dents in the concrete floor still bear witness )

Seeing a guy lean into an 11kv switch panel after defeating the safety ............. doing cpr on him when he emerged from the cabinet at speed ( Lucky, lucky, lucky barstard! )

A lifetime ago! :)

If that was fun , moving on to machines the size of a house that were sorting gold and diamond bearing ores using laser and x-ray fluorescence was incredible.

Then on to the armaments industry. Systems for Tanks, Helicopters, Self propelled ( things that go bang and launch projectiles ) and survey aircraft.

It's been an exciting field to work in and I'm sitting here tinkering on a weekend with a dual core 32bit embedded system with 4 meg of memory, embedded Bluetooth, WiFi, Usb and more resources than i could have dreamed of nearly 40 years ago!

·
509 Posts
@nimbusgb scary but I can almost visualize your career, I worked on some aerospace and military applications as well mostly on the repair side. I still remember installing a rudder control pump on a frigate ship in Virginia and having the Captain walk me over to one of two turbine engines when I was through and asking me if we could service them. Knowing that the owner of my then company would have said yes I replied, "that sir is above my pay grade" which was truthful since my background at that point in time was electro-hydraulics and automation which eventually bloomed into an awesome career in robotics.

·
Registered 2013 SLK250
278 Posts
Leave the metallic silver as a base coat. Then coat with translucent candy apple red with extra clear coat over it that you can color sand to a mirror finish.
It will look like a million bucks.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,519 Posts
It doesn't show rainspots up as quickly as darker colours.
Rain on Schwarzie look like diamonds sparkling in the moonlight :tu: :wink:

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
349 Posts
Getting just what you want has a lot of value, the caveat is that few of us know what we want on the first try or so, or how much we really want it until we have it.

I'll stick with my first suggestion, find a car that is at least close to what you want rather than try to remake one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts