Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking of buying this SLK230. Opinions?

2001, 102000 miles, no apparent rust, reasonable price, only mods are Kenwood stereo system and Koni adjustable suspension; engine, transmission and electrics all seem good.

It's photos are at my Flickr account.

My only concern is that I've been informed that I can't use a OBD2 reader with this age car. Is this correct?

All opinions are welcomed.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
If looks are anything to go by she looks in good condition

Non standard wheels make her look lowered?

Have you had a test drive? Mine had a whine which went as soon as I out decent tyres on

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
My only concern is that I've been informed that I can't use a OBD2 reader with this age car. Is this correct?
As far as I know since this is a pre-facelift there should be an OBD II connector right under the dash. The earlier pre-facelift models have a different connector. Have you seen the car in person? Try checking for a plug under the dash.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If looks are anything to go by she looks in good condition

Non standard wheels make her look lowered?

Have you had a test drive? Mine had a whine which went as soon as I out decent tyres on
Koni shocks are lowered. I really like the look of it lowered that much.

Tyres are good quality, so I don't expect there to be any issues.

Test-driving early next week. Looking forward to it.

Car was used for advertising the skills of the shop which put the suspension kit on and has been well-maintained, according to the dealer, so I'm expecting it to be just about faultless.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as I know since this is a pre-facelift there should be an OBD II connector right under the dash. The earlier pre-facelift models have a different connector. Have you seen the car in person? Try checking for a plug under the dash.
I'll take a look as soon as I can. The OBD2 reader I'm considering buying is stated as dealing with this car's model year, so I'm pretty confident that all will be well.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
As I understand it the generic obd readers that you can buy on eBay give a general view of the fault codes but you would need a Merc specific reader to pick up all the faults.

They will give young good indication though

Good luck! Had mine since June and love it!

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
Slight confusion in Jayson's response.
This is a POST-facelift, and so will have the OBD2 connector just forward of the bonnet release catch.
The pre-facelift models have a different connector under the bonnet; don't worry about that, since you are not affected.

Superb finish, and lovely looking car; good luck with it.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,665 Posts
The earlier r170's had a 38 pin connector on the electronics box in the left hand side of he engine compartment, adaptor plugs are available on ebay to go to a standard obdII reader but you reall need a multiplexer device as the early cars did not common up the can bus. Leter cars the standard plug is next to the bonnet release above your right knee in a rhd car.

Reactions: ajberrow

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Slight confusion in Jayson's response.
This is a POST-facelift, and so will have the OBD2 connector just forward of the bonnet release catch.
The pre-facelift models have a different connector under the bonnet; don't worry about that, since you are not affected.

Superb finish, and lovely looking car; good luck with it.
Don't know why I confused it :) Thanks for clarification Tolak!
And the car really looks good. A little too low for me but that's a personal preference =)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
Nice car don't know what a good price is on the other side of the pond. But here is the USA $9,000 and $10,000 US dollars with 100,000 miles. :usa: :tu:
Pre-facelift R170 230K for 2k GBP; needing attention, and Auto, so not preferred in UK. 100k miles.
Post-facelift R170 are approx double that, with the 200K the cheapest.

And teh R171 are a whole world more expensive, being closer to 10k GBP

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My 200k 03with70k miles was £4k but perhaps a bit of a bargain
That sounds about right for that year/mileage now. If you bought it more than a few months ago based on my price checks on many many sites, you got a good deal.

Where do you live? Many head in your direction one day, after my army's properly healed.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,525 Posts
Nice looking SLK, like said before, the gravel scares me too! I bought the BAFX Products - PIC18F2480 Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool and pair it with my "Torque" app on my android phone and it worked fine. It sells for 23.99 on amazon. Can't say for all cars though as I'm really pretty new to the SLK world! I got it from Amazon and you can actually leave it in the car and monitor all kinds of functions on your SLK. Error codes (can clear them too), and monitor all kinds of functions while your car is running around. It's pretty handy so far for a new person to SLK's. Good luck on your purchase if you buy it. Pretty color.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought the BAFX Products - PIC18F2480 Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool and pair it with my "Torque" app on my android phone and it worked fine. It sells for 23.99 on amazon.
Thanks.

Can't find that product from a UK supplier, but have ordered a cheap n cheerful alternative (< $10), to see whether it will work. Will report here if it is effective.

Anthony

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
That sounds about right for that year/mileage now. If you bought it more than a few months ago based on my price checks on many many sites, you got a good deal.

Where do you live? Many head in your direction one day, after my army's properly healed.
I live up by Llandrindod wells in mid Wales ... I hope you are a SiLK waver....... I keep waving to other owners and either get blank looks or no response at all...... They must be tourists :soap:

What have you done to your arm? Hope it doesn't stop you driving

Of course... You realise that shiny black is the most difficult colour to keep clean. Whereas blue........

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.