Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I currently drive a 30i E89 z4. Thinking of changing to an SLK55. What options should i look out for and which ones would you consider non essential?
Thanks
Matt

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,420 Posts
I like my comforts, so I have most goodies, but that's on a 55.

If you don't want the non essentials forget headlamp wash, elec seats, theres a fancy version of steering column adjust that probably doesn't matter much.

Winter driving?

Folk debate on how good airscarf is, or isn't. I'd suggest trying before ignoring.
Heated seats, at least the drivers. A great plus on a chilly spring/autumn evening drive.
When you get a clear sky, well lit moon a night drive is a must.

Magic sky roof has pluses and minuses, not essential though.

Once bought I'd recommend fitting a SmartTop:
http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/121481-what-smarttop-all-members-keep-talking-about.html
Not just for posers. One member had an issue with start/stop or keyless, not sure which.

If you're looking second hand a datacard is a must for potential cars BEFORE you buy:
http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

And a handy check list for new and used cars:
http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/68666-new-used-vehicle-pickup-checklist.html

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
It's personal what is necessary or not. If you're looking for a driving experience (i.e. fast, turns etc.) forget about any of the electronic goodies. Get the AMG pack (P30) with the better brakes, the LSD and other performance goodies. Remove top speed limiter, invest in a racing course with that car, not a loaner.

OTOH if you want to impress with noise and sprints and the occasional boulevard cruise than remove some stuff from the exhaust and forget about the (expensive) P30 option. Get bigger wheels (19") with a lot of chrome and maybe an upgraded stereo (like the H&K or even better).

I drive my 55 year round and like my luxuries that may not be necessary for you. Most useless? electrical adjustable chairs, handy if there are multiple drivers but with me they are in a single position all the time. Good runner up: the DAB tuner, it works occasionally at best.
Best options? Smarttop and magic sky, love the open/close whilst driving and the extra light in the car when closed (but if you drive in sunshine only, just open up and forget the magic sky).

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,615 Posts
Hi I currently drive a 30i E89 z4. Thinking of changing to an SLK55. What options should i look out for and which ones would you consider non essential?
Thanks
Matt
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

First please update your location and vehicle (Put Looking!)(year?: 1996-2017, model?: 32, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300,320,350,55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. This takes about 30 seconds to do.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Join the gang! Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
Thanks
Matt
Hi Matt, and welcome to SLKWorld!

I'm sure many of us will have different views here, but you've asked so here's my opinion.

Airscarf for the UK (although my wife & son use airscarf more than I do), heated seats, Xenon headlights (although they're probably standard equipment on the 55, which means you'll get headlight wash with them too). Other options are probably down to personal preference, such as sat nav, harman kardon sound, , media package, etc. Personally, I'd look for one with the AMG handling package too, as that gives it performance suspension and a limited slip diff (and a raised speed limiter), but I guess they're not essential.

Finally, I sent you a PM asking you to do a couple of things to get properly settled into the forum... could you please update your profile and post an intro? Details of how to do that are in the PM. :D

Thanks
Dave

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,615 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.