Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been putting off lowering my car for awhile because it was my daily car and I sometimes visit buildings with steep driveways. Now though, I recently picked up a low miles immaculate '99 C280 Sport that I drive most of the time. I'm back to thinking about lowering.

My car is an '07 SLK55 with the 030 package. I'm looking into lowering springs, not coil-overs. H&R advertises a 1.2" drop. Does this apply to all SLKs including the AMGs? Is it an accurate 1.2" drop? I don't want my car too low, as I think extremely lowered cars don't look very good. I just want to reduce the wheel gap slightly and reduce the rake and bring the rear a bit lower in relation to the front.

Is there any way to still get Eibach/Brabus springs with the advertised 1.0" drop? Or does anyone have experience with Vogtlands kit that advertises 1.4"?

I found this post by member "IIIMBPIII" with the H&R springs and #1 pad in the rear. Am I correct in assuming the SLK55 has #3 pads in the rear from the factory? I love the drop in the front of his car, but I think the rear is too low; it looks like the rear wheel is tucked under the body.
http://www.slkworld.com/amgs/6498-new-pics-youve-been-waiting.html

As per member "dsb" post on mbworld (http://mbworld.org/forums/1559013-post3.html)
The Brabus springs lowered the front by 0.75." If I remember correctly, Eibachs were advertised at 1.0" drop. Rear pad thickness is as follows:
210 325 01 84 - #1 5mm
210 325 02 84 - #2 9mm
210 325 03 84 - #3 13mm
210 325 04 84 - #4 17mm

Does anyone have (or can link to) pictures of a lowered SLK55 with 030?

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I've been putting off lowering my car for awhile because it was my daily car and I sometimes visit buildings with steep driveways. Now though, I recently picked up a low miles immaculate '99 C280 Sport that I drive most of the time. I'm back to thinking about lowering.

My car is an '07 SLK55 with the 030 package. I'm looking into lowering springs, not coil-overs. H&R advertises a 1.2" drop. Does this apply to all SLKs including the AMGs? Is it an accurate 1.2" drop? I don't want my car too low, as I think extremely lowered cars don't look very good. I just want to reduce the wheel gap slightly and reduce the rake and bring the rear a bit lower in relation to the front.

Is there any way to still get Eibach/Brabus springs with the advertised 1.0" drop? Or does anyone have experience with Vogtlands kit that advertises 1.4"?

I found this post by member "IIIMBPIII" with the H&R springs and #1 pad in the rear. Am I correct in assuming the SLK55 has #3 pads in the rear from the factory? I love the drop in the front of his car, but I think the rear is too low; it looks like the rear wheel is tucked under the body.
http://www.slkworld.com/amgs/6498-new-pics-youve-been-waiting.html

As per member "dsb" post on mbworld (http://mbworld.org/forums/1559013-post3.html)
The Brabus springs lowered the front by 0.75." If I remember correctly, Eibachs were advertised at 1.0" drop. Rear pad thickness is as follows:
210 325 01 84 - #1 5mm
210 325 02 84 - #2 9mm
210 325 03 84 - #3 13mm
210 325 04 84 - #4 17mm

Does anyone have (or can link to) pictures of a lowered SLK55 with 030?
OK....I'm not going to be able to help you with lowering spring selections...

However, I've lowered many-a-car in my racing days and I can tell you that if you are looking for "looks" and cheap...go with lowering springs and save up for front end suspension work as spring really screw up the geometry and add stress where it was not designed for or intended.

So...coil overs are the proper way for the full benefit of looks and performance. I've done coil overs on BMW, Ferrari, MINI, and a Charger SRT....they work, but they cost $$.

Told you I wasn't gonna help!

Good luck and choose wisely.....

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it that bad? I read conflicting reports on that all the time. Some say it ruins the suspension geometry and adds stress. Some say it doesn't have negative effects.

Maybe I'll spend the extra 1000 on H&R Coilovers. I can't quite justify the cost of KWs. I'll leave it alone rather than spend over $3000 on KW V3s. I'm sure they're great, but lowering and possible benefit is not worth $3000+ to me.

·
Registered
439 Posts
What are those pads actually? I have before and after pictures of a 200 lowered on Eibach if you want it...

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to have an SLK280 lowered on Eibachs. I just wanted to know if '55s were lowered the same amount as non-AMGs. dsb's thread on mbworld shows only .75 drop, which is actually good. I don't want a ~1+" drop as the '55 doesn't need that much.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
I used to have an SLK280 lowered on Eibachs. I just wanted to know if '55s were lowered the same amount as non-AMGs. dsb's thread on mbworld shows only .75 drop, which is actually good. I don't want a ~1+" drop as the '55 doesn't need that much.
Eibach/Brabus lowers it close to an inch for both AMG and non-AMG's. H&R lowers it a little over an inch.

Dinko's SLK55 with Brabus.

More here. http://mbworld.org/forums/slk55-r171/136250-lowered-pics.html

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See, that looks perfect... but Eibach/Brabus is no longer available anywhere. I'm afraid H&R springs or coilovers will both be too low...

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
H&R springs have a reputation for making the ride pretty rough. If you are using this car as a daily driver that may be an issue. I have mine lowered on Eibach, and Stinger has his on Brabus. The drop is not extreme and the ride quality is unaffected as far as I'm concerned.

Your shocks will wear out very quickly after doing this mod, so prepare to have to buy new shocks/struts within about 20K miles of doing it. Or just do it right away. Get something like Bilstein B8s. Also, the rear camber is not adjustable, so if your camber is too extreme after the mod (I believe max rear camber is -1.8 per MB spec), you might want to install a camber kit. Either K-Mac adjustable bushings, or some sort of adjustable control arm.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It isn't my daily anymore so harshness is not an issue.

I just measured the current height on my car the same way dsb measured his in the link above. The 030 is a quarter inch lower in the front than the non 030 AMG. My stock height 030 is only half an inch higher than dsb's lowered '55 on Eibach/Brabus springs. Now I'm thinking H&R will definitely be too low and would tuck the tire under the fender in front.

The rear of my car is slightly higher, maybe I will try changing only the rear spring pad to reduce the rake without lowering the front. If I'm not mistaken, stock pads are 13mm #3s. I could lower the rear by either 4mm or 8mm by switching to #2 or #1 pads.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Left: dsb's SLK55 w/o 030 suspension
Right: My SLK55 w/ 030 suspension

030 seems to be about 1/4" lower.

Eibach springs advertised 1.0" drop and dsb experienced a 0.75" drop in his '55 AMG. If H&R coilovers advertise 1.2", I'm expecting something like .90" drop. Right now I have roughly 1.5" between the top of the tire and the edge of the fender or rear quarter panel. Should be about a single finger tire gap after coilovers if my estimate is correct. Sounds good to me. I can adjust the rear slightly with pads, but I'm just hoping the front doesn't rub over bumps and turns.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked, no luck

·
Fanatical Member
3,419 Posts
Mark, CKSPerformance.com still has Eibachs available for the 200/280/350. The show H&R available for the ///AMG 55.

But I was under the impression that Eibach stopped making lowering springs for the SLK alltogether. Might be worth a call just to see what's up with Eibach. I suppose no way the 350 springs would work on your beast?

Here's the link:

CKSPERFORMANCE.COM

Also, Durk fixed me up with the Brabus, and like he said, no noticeable difference in the ride. I was lucky that no camber adjustment was necessary . However, Brabus stopped making the springs as well. My new wheels are 8.5/9.5 wide. Not sure if that had anything to do with the camber either? Consider Durk the expert on this.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe there's a different set for the '55 to support the extra weight in front because of the V8.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
I believe there's a different set for the '55 to support the extra weight in front because of the V8.
I recall reading this as well. H&R isn't bad, yes it's a bit lower, .2 inches isn't going to kill you. I actually prefer H&R, it's a bit stiffer, feels a bit more sportier compared to Eibach. Eibach likes to keep the OEM feel sometimes that is not what you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually, I did more digging and found that people were using Brabus on the '55 and I can't find anything about Eibachs on a '55. Are we sure that they are the same springs and not made to different specs? Did they supply the same spring and by their own agreement, only Brabus was able to market it as an SLK55 spring?

Or was the Brabus marked as a 280/350 set also?

I found a seller on Germany eBay selling Eibachs for the 280/350 at $250 shipped to the USA.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts