Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
163 Posts
Well after finding myself in 'forced' retirement I am looking to get a bit more pleasure from my drive :smile:

I know people in general don't seem to the like the diesel version of the SLK but for me its been a good 2+ years of drive with good performance and enconomy for my daily long commute !

However I have the SLK 55 bug !

APrt from reading the obvious guides on here, just looking for general guidance of real life experience and problems. I have 2 whch I plan to go and look at providing the part ex is right for my own car as below:-

Mercedes-Benz SLK 55 AMG ROADSTER 5.5 2dr

Mercedes-Benz SLK 5.4 SLK55 AMG 7G-Tronic 2dr

Any advice or comments welcome

Thanks

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,241 Posts
Are you curious about mpg return, insurance, service costs?

Don't buy.

That's the only thing that I believe is a litmus test when someone gets curious about owning a 55.
Even if you only kept it for a year, to scratch the itch, you'd lose little, if any money.
As long as you do your research, thoroughly inspect and test EVERYTHING.
ie ac, COMAND, roof, windows etc.

You're Midlands based. Often brekky meets that way.
Go to one and chat to the 55ers.

There's an AMG PL event at the Stockpot in Coventry on Sunday morning.
BE a few 55s at that.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,044 Posts
Well after finding myself in 'forced' retirement I am looking to get a bit more pleasure from my drive :smile:

I know people in general don't seem to the like the diesel version of the SLK but for me its been a good 2+ years of drive with good performance and enconomy for my daily long commute !

However I have the SLK 55 bug !

APrt from reading the obvious guides on here, just looking for general guidance of real life experience and problems. I have 2 whch I plan to go and look at providing the part ex is right for my own car as below:-

Mercedes-Benz SLK 55 AMG ROADSTER 5.5 2dr

Mercedes-Benz SLK 5.4 SLK55 AMG 7G-Tronic 2dr

Any advice or comments welcome

Thanks
If it was me and had the extra money id go for the Facelift Amg model 👍
And the last model the rear disc look a bit tram lined what i could see in photo .

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,241 Posts
By 70K (both in that region) I'd want to see serpentine belt change.

I'd also be looking for transmission oil and filter change circa 40K.

One mentions the belt being done.
Neither mentions the tranny oil.
Have a good look at service history of both.

Anything that needs doing (eg brakes, tyres) you want done before buying.

Rule 1 of buying any SLK. Do not panic buy.
Yes, nice, shiny performance cars.
But they are not as rare as hens teeth.
Patience will get the package and colours that you want.

I know they can sell quick, but plenty come onto the market.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,653 Posts
Considering putting mine on the market at around 16k because I am seriously considering moving on to a 172 55!

2006, 88k on the clock. Just changed the serpentine belt and idler, gearbox oil, air and oil filters and plugs! Always run on Mobil 1. :)

SmartTop, OEM Windrestrictor, bluetooth phone, 2 keys.

Digital climatronic, self dimming rear view with lighting package ( a mod ), USB charging, gunmetal grey AMG alloys

23.5 mpg averaged over 48000 fault free miles ( well a CPS sensor went once and I had to replace the battery 2 years ago )

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2000 SLK320
210 Posts
Prices are typical for a dealer car of that mileage. The Orion Solutions one is in Cardiff quite near me, but I have not seen or heard of them so no help there. The car seems very nice and worth looking at. The Velvis one also looks nice but is listed as 6 speed auto so shows what they know about it. It has 7 G-Tronic gearbox.

One thing to check is the front disc rotors, if there is a large lip around the edge, excessive grooving or corrosion, beware - the front floating rotors are very expensive to repair. The rears are not so expensive. I average 22-24 MPG which is about or better than I expected.

If you need an itch scratched the SLK55 is ideal, I am very pleased with mine after 6 months of ownership - it's exhilarating to drive and great fun >:D

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,556 Posts
As Myk says, checked every thing works, take a tick list with you so you don't forget anything and you can compare later.
I don't know how far away I am from you but pm me if you like and have a look and a word, mine is not for sale.
The original remote roof operation is naff so a smart top is a good option and can be removed later and resold. The face lift will be a bit cheaper on disks if it doesn't have the sports pack but the rear calipers are not painted and do look a bit poor, obviously you can get them sprayed. Interior does look a bit better with dark buttons and steering wheel is nicer in my opinion.
Check the Service sheets that should come with the Service book, the book can be stamped but all the work may not have been done, recommendations etc like spark plugs can be skipped.
Black and Silver are the most common.

·
Banned
974 Posts
Unless you REALLY like silver it is a bit predictable & invisible given that nearly every car seems to be either that colour or black.
Prices of the R171 do seem realistic R172's are twice the price.
The Mercedes main dealer salesman whom I encountered whilst examining a low mileage well micro-scratched black with cream leather interior R172 55 priced at £33K was almost smug about it's rarity & investment potential. Having hinted I might be interested in a p/ex he made no attempt to continue the conversation. Knowing in his mind if nowhere else that it was a sellers market I sensed he was waiting for a 'walk-in' cash buyer who would not need to negotiate on price.

·
Banned
974 Posts
Sadly the alloys dont do it for me on that one :frown:
Bit like saying you won't buy a house because the wallpaper is not to your taste.
The wheels are a peripheral matter, a detail & can easily be changed. Even the bodywork is less of an issue than deeply hidden expensive mechanical issues. Polish is cheap a new engine 'ain't.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,044 Posts
Bit like saying you won't buy a house because the wallpaper is not to your taste.
The wheels are a peripheral matter, a detail & can easily be changed. Even the bodywork is less of an issue than deeply hidden expensive mechanical issues. Polish is cheap a new engine 'ain't.
Just pointing out the alloys dont do it for me they look cheap and the proper AMG Spoke ones are the ones to go for and more sort after .

Even if its a wallpaper kinda thing it still will add circa £750.00 - £1000.00 on top of the car bill to change at a later date.
As they say wait to get the right one and spec / colour .

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,044 Posts
Considering putting mine on the market at around 16k because I am seriously considering moving on to a 172 55!

2006, 88k on the clock. Just changed the serpentine belt and idler, gearbox oil, air and oil filters and plugs! Always run on Mobil 1. :)

Digital climatronic, self dimming rear view with lighting package ( a mod ), USB charging, gunmetal grey AMG alloys

23.5 mpg averaged over 48000 fault free miles ( well a CPS sensor went once and I had to replace the battery 2 years ago )
Now that's the one to get with the correct alloys people should look for .

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The insurance cost believe or not is only £30 more than my current SLK ! well I am pushing on 60 years old thats probably why LOL

MPG no not really I have had several 911's in the past and used to drive them like they should so that doesn't phase me

Well yes the service or problems what they woudl cost is unknown to me as I drove PORKER's for some 25 years I knew all of the issues, etc.

I am not going to rush into and will take my time as I have a lot at the moment!

Thanks for all the feedback so far !

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks but as a matter of taste I don't like the facelift model I presume you mean the r172 model ?

No offence to anyone who has the r172 SLK55 just doesn't look as nice to me but hey we all different and of course it is a great car

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Looks very nice and nice to see a different colour !

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,106 Posts
Thanks but as a matter of taste I don't like the facelift model I presume you mean the r172 model ?

No offence to anyone who has the r172 SLK55 just doesn't look as nice to me but hey we all different and of course it is a great car
I presume you mean the r172 model ?

No...

Every generation has had a facelift

r170 1996-2004
facelift was in 2000

r171 2004-2011
facelift was in 2008/9

r172 2011/12-2017 etc
facelift was slc in 2016

facelift model is r171 from 2008/9 - 2011

I have a fl model r171 2009

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
338 Posts

as you say we are all different, I wouldn't have the 171 as I don't like the look of it compared to the 172. Taste is a wonderful thing, if it wasn't there we'd predominantly have silver and black cars.....errr, I need to re-think that argument !

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,653 Posts
Most cars have a mid production run 'facelift'

The R171 to R172 change was a whole 'nose job' though and its the square nose that's a bit 'marmite'.

Must admit it's growing on me and I'm tempted by a polar white 172 55 with just 18k on the clock and a full years extended warranty.

This whole episode is of course not being helped by having got home this evening to a letter from HMRC saying I paid a considerable wedge more tax than I should have this past year! Must have a word with the flippin accountant!

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As Myk says, checked every thing works, take a tick list with you so you don't forget anything and you can compare later.
I don't know how far away I am from you but pm me if you like and have a look and a word, mine is not for sale.
The original remote roof operation is naff so a smart top is a good option and can be removed later and resold. The face lift will be a bit cheaper on disks if it doesn't have the sports pack but the rear calipers are not painted and do look a bit poor, obviously you can get them sprayed. Interior does look a bit better with dark buttons and steering wheel is nicer in my opinion.
Check the Service sheets that should come with the Service book, the book can be stamped but all the work may not have been done, recommendations etc like spark plugs can be skipped.
Black and Silver are the most common.
Well thanks to Russ as he is close by I am going over to chat and get some info and look around his car.

I have been looking at several private ads and found one with good service history and also what some of you guys have mentioned to; I am not going to rush into this and have a good look and take my time.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts