Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered 2010 SLK300
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do a lot of drives, sometimes like to stop and sit.

So, we usually bring with us:

2 folding chairs

compass

tablet that has a GPS chip, with maps and a nav app, SLK manual in pdf, books and game apps.

small cooler with snacks, drinks

Jetboil backpack stove for boiling water (takes 2-3 minutes to boil 1/2 litre of water) for when we want tea

real books

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
We have a small ice chest in addition to the chairs and a nice beach towel that fits nicely in the tire cutout. Also baseball caps, and sunscreen! :)

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
1) Microfiber towels and a fresh bottle of window cleaner.
2) Whisk broom to keep the carpets devoid of any flotsam...or jetsom!
3) Tunes....ipod, cds
4) Sunglasses/hats/suncreen
5) A couple of Ben Franklins just in case
6) Real maps
7) Cooler w/ beverages and a snack
8) R-detector

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
1) Microfiber towels and a fresh bottle of window cleaner.
2) Whisk broom to keep the carpets devoid of any flotsam...or jetsom!
3) Tunes....ipod, cds
4) Sunglasses/hats/suncreen
5) A couple of Ben Franklins just in case
6) Real maps
7) Cooler w/ beverages and a snack
8) R-detector
OK, I'll admit it, you've got me. Finally I'll admit, I can't understand 'merricun. Most words or phrases you can guess at or Google, but wot the fek is a 'Ben Franklins'??? :)

edit = got it - $100 bills!!

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,740 Posts
Sun screen...lots and lots of sun screen...

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
3,917 Posts
So far my wife and I have only had a chance to drive to Tucson (70 miles one way). However, I have found a good attitude (to deal with some of the less than desirable drivers on the road) is always a good thing to bring along.

And of course sunscreen so the solar panel on the back of my head doesn't start to resemble a lobster. lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hats, sunglasses, iPod with audible books, cell phone, small cooler with drinks (fits between the seats), and fold-up wheeled walker for the wife (barely fits in the trunk when the top is down). No room to buy antiques or other bric-a-brac :).

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
305 Posts
How do you use streets &trips? Just as maps or for planning?
I was using Streets & Trips for maps. But that was during the winter with the top up. Today my wife and I traveled to the mountains with the top down and could not read the screen on the little lap top.

I like the display that Streets & Trips with GPS uses. When in unfamiliar surroundings it is very easy to see where you should go with that program. The GPS that came in my SLK is less than what I expected.

I understand that Streets & Trips is good for planning but I have not used that feature yet.

After today's trip I need to find a product that is more readable in the bright sun.

·
Registered 2010 SLK300
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was using Streets & Trips for maps. But that was during the winter with the top up. Today my wife and I traveled to the mountains with the top down and could not read the screen on the little lap top.

I like the display that Streets & Trips with GPS uses. When in unfamiliar surroundings it is very easy to see where you should go with that program. The GPS that came in my SLK is less than what I expected.

I understand that Streets & Trips is good for planning but I have not used that feature yet.

After today's trip I need to find a product that is more readable in the bright sun.
we're having similar issue with our tablet. there are some matte screen protectors that are suppose to help, but not tried them yet. the portifeleo case helps some holding the cover to shade the screen. We use navfree USA and mapdroid, both are based on open street maps, but haven't really learned them . our slk doesn't have a gps, but the tablet does.

·
Registered
61 Posts
So far my wife and I have only had a chance to drive to Tucson (70 miles one way). However, I have found a good attitude (to deal with some of the less than desirable drivers on the road) is always a good thing to bring along.

And of course sunscreen so the solar panel on the back of my head doesn't start to resemble a lobster. lol
I can supply you a route that is much more fun and scenic along with very little traffic... but plan on about 3 hours and twice the mileage (well worth it).

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,526 Posts

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
305 Posts
we're having similar issue with our tablet. there are some matte screen protectors that are suppose to help, but not tried them yet. the portifeleo case helps some holding the cover to shade the screen. We use navfree USA and mapdroid, both are based on open street maps, but haven't really learned them . our slk doesn't have a gps, but the tablet does.
I am happy to find someone else working on this GPS thing. I am not familiar with navfree USA or mapdroid. I will need to do a lot of homework as to the best software and hardware. My wife and I have taken day trips to the mountains on the last couple of weekends. We made wrong turns on both trips. I'm old but not stupid. The street or road signs in many small towns are either missing or misleading. We intend to travel cross country in our SLK so I want a GOOD GPS and GOOD SOFTWARE. If you find something interesting (hardware that can be read in the sun) please pass it on. Oh yea, need to pick a software also. I was hoping that the new tablets would have a screen as good as the screen on the GPS in the car. I will pass on any good stuff I find.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.