Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what my face was like when i saw them, dont think mercedes go overboard with the paint on the inside of the rims. These have been two pack chromate free yellow etched before primer. UK road salt is not kind.

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
1,274 Posts
Thats what my face was like when i saw them, dont think mercedes go overboard with the paint on the inside of the rims. These have been two pack chromate free yellow etched before primer. UK road salt is not kind.
While we don't use road salt in Oregon, this is why I remove the wheels annually to wash them, remove stubborn tar stains and wheel weight adhesive, clay the wheels, and wax them thoroughly with liquid car wax. This regimen keeps the wheels cleaner all year long by making anything that contacts them easier to wash off. When the winter rims go on the C230, the factory rims get this treatment. Then Sunhilde's rims come off and the C230's rims go on for a few days while I do her rims. Then Sunhilde gets her own wheels back and the C230 rims hang on the garage wall until spring.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Nice job!!

After trawling the detailer forums for recommendations, when I had mine refurbished I applied gtechniq c5 to the front and back face as an extra barrier.

My car doesn't see salt but plenty of brake dust!

Reactions: Scuba ginty

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fitted the tyres today even though the weather in the UK is dreadful

Fitted the tyres to the newly refurbished rims today:grin:. I think I chose the right silver as the calipers are black and a darker silver. the Brembo decals are heat resistant as is the paint. Hopefully get to do the rears tomorrow, got to get out for a drive. Fitted new Brembo discs and bosch pads at the same time.

Finished them off with 3 coats of Autoglym Super Resin Polish and then
Autoglym High gloss Protection left to bind in for an hour to protect the paint. I use it on the paintwork and the water beads instantly. Hopefully it will help the brake dust wash off easier.
:smile:

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.