Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the Christmas/New Year break I had the misfortune to get rear ended in my SLK250.

Sitting at traffic lights waiting to turn right. Lights go green for straight ahead and vehicles start moving. I am still sitting on a red light to turn right when "bang" up the rear end by a Toyota Hilux.

Getting out of the car I expected to see a wrecked rear end to the car. No, a couple of scratches where his number plate had connected with the bumper and a couple of small indentations from his bumper connecting with mine.
This really surprised me as it was quite a solid hit. I guess it would have been a 4WD instead of 2WD Hilux as there would have been a hight difference.

A couple of days at a MB authorised panel shop. New rear bumper and a bill from my insurers to him as he was uninsured for around $AU3000 and all good again.

They certainly build them tough!

Attachments

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
How is the alignment and movement of the trunk/boot lid?
Does the retractable roof operate like normal?

Reactions: Avel Du

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My first thought was "what has that done to the roof" as you can see it was down and stowed in the boot when the accident happened. Fortunately no damage at all. The panel shopped checked it all out and said that the rear bumper took the whole force of the hit. Probably compressed and then sprung back out again.
In the photo it appears that the shut line on the boot/rear fender is out of shape but that is just a trick of the light!

·
Registered
100 Posts
One week after I bought my first SLK (R171) I was zooming round a bend on the southbound motorway out of Glasgow only to find all three lanes at a standstill. Heavy braking required - YAY for SLK stopped brilliantly....
Perhaps five seconds later I got rear ended plus tons of squealing noise behind resulting in cars everywhere at weird angles all over the motorway.....

After only two minutes the traffic started moving again and I moved over then stopped into the emergency lane -- but the car that whacked me just drove off... GRRrrrrrrrrr......

Mega relief though to find only very minor paint scratches on the bumper (polished out) and later checking everything nothing was visibly bent or cracked.

I was impressed then for it had been such a bang. I guess super lucky that both cars had come together very square on. A glancing collision would have caused real damage.

·
*Registered
2013 SLK350
33 Posts
I have to concur, just got hit in garage today. the force made be think, damn this will be a problem But no, just a scratch from the other cars license plate holder. Very day more and more impressed with my SLK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.