Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a lower temp thermostat (which won't throw a CEL) for my SLK32. I couldn't find one on your website, so I was wondering if you still sell this item. Prefer to buy from site sponsers :)

Any comments on what temp thermostat is best?

·
Registered
142 Posts
We do not regularly stock this item anymore for the very reason you mentioned. There were 2 thermos on the market, ours and the other company. There were cases of CEL with the other company and ours got thrown in the mix.

I can still make you one that won't throw any codes if you want. Price is 82.00 shipped.

email me at [email protected] or call 732-649-9597 to place the order.

·
Registered
142 Posts
A lower temp thermostat will allow the coolant to flow into the engine sooner and thus keep it cooler. Normally the coolant starts flowing in at around 198F, we drop it to 180F. Some thermos are our there with 160F, but they have been known to throw a CEL.

If your car is moving then the air flow and sooner coolant will help keep your car cooler, but if sitting in traffic it will still get up to temp until your fans kick in, it will just take longer. You will need to have your fans reprogrammed via STAR (yes we can do that) to come on 10F cooler.

There have been 0 documented gains with adding a lower temp thermo just so you are aware. However, a cooler engine is a more reliable engine, a more efficeint engine, and an engine you are less likely to burn your hand on, lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts