1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Mercedes spies on drivers by secretly installing tracking devices in cars and passing information to bailiffs

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/9756250/mercedes-spies-drivers-tracking-devices/

Not sure how much to trust this story - particularly given the source newspaper - but I throw this into the ring for ... discussion.

I've got my popcorn ready and I'm sitting comfortably. :Grin:

Sent from my phone while my back was turned.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
@savcom
It’s just a race these days as to who gets your data first .. Google, Apple, Microsoft, our government, other governments, huawei .. Sarge :wink: ... the list goes on.
Mercedes is probably the least of our problems.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's not a secret device!

The Mercedes.me functionality of my car means I can track my car and can set up perimeter alerts if it leaves a certain radius.

The emergency call button behind the rear view mirror makes a call to Mercedes and they will access to my car's location.

The issue is whether by signing up to the service, one inadvertently gives Mercedes the right to access this data for other reason and what they are allowed to do with this data.

·
Super Moderator
24,133 Posts
I didn't know they did that specifically for financial issues.

I am not shocked though.

I am, however, surprised that they don't specifically charge for the 'service'.
MB missing a trick there. Couple of hours labour, scan plus kit. They are slipping. :D

·
Registered
615 Posts

The Mercedes.me functionality of my car means I can track my car and can set up perimeter alerts if it leaves a certain radius.
LOVE confronting stealerships with that data when they "suntan" my car. The look on their face is priceless.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Never mind keeping the car keys in a biscuit tin, need to line one's garage with tin foil...!!!

"Plan B" is not to buy a MB on credit & then not keep up with the payments....

Talking of tracking, I've installed the "PetrolPrices" App here in the UK & now works really well :tu:
It's now a crowd based system, where people update the prices & get "points" - and We all know what point mean..!!
Anyway, out walking the dog the other day & a message popped up asking Me whether I was at our local Petrol station & could I update the prices....? :surprise:

·
Registered
615 Posts
They must have spent more money on any of their tracking devices than the Sat Nav system they install. :laugh:
Mine can't find it's way off my drive. :grin:
Same here. In one part of town, I ALWAYS get bizarre routes. Don't get the same route home that got me there too. Last time that happened, I knew I was getting farther and farther from home, but had no idea how to extricate myself. On that trip, it had me make a U-turn, then immediately make another U-turn! Full 360. I passed. Eventually hit street I knew. Could have tried my phone, I guess.

One odd thing: the little orange/white compass doesn't know left from right. Works if you're headed north or south, but east and west are backwards. The digital display is correct: reads E/NE/W/SW etc. A C-class loaner did the same thing. Or am I cornfused?

·
Registered
632 Posts

The emergency call button behind the rear view mirror makes a call to Mercedes and they will access to my car's location.

The issue is whether by signing up to the service, one inadvertently gives Mercedes the right to access this data for other reason and what they are allowed to do with this data.
According to the article this tracking has nothing to do with mercedes me or antitheft and is instead a completely separate, "secret" tracking device. One that customers "agree" to when signing the multitude of documents required at purchase (but which most people dont read).

·
Super Moderator
24,133 Posts
Or am I cornfused?
MB Sat Nav and confusion go together.
They are not alone.

I don't get it (neither does the SN).
I can buy a SN unit that I can take anywhere (including in my pocket) for £100.
You seen the price to replace your SN at a dealer.
It stays with the car, can't find it's way out of a paper bag
and (after 3? years) they expect you to pay for updates.

Mine is up to date and yet I still find myself driving through rivers, or the middle of fields
according to SN screen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts