Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The accelerated pace with which electric cars and the supporting infrastructure are implemented in some countries leads to developments never believed possible.

This week, the British arm of Nissan admitted its initial prediction that said charging stations would outnumber fuel stations by August next year was wrong. This reality is here now, one year in advance.

As per the numbers provided by the carmaker, there are 8,400 fuel stations on the island, significantly fewer than the 9,300 charging stations already up and running.

That's 900 units more, and the gap is probably going to get bigger. The number of fuel stations dropped steadily to the current levels from about 18,000 in 1992, while new charging stations are installed at a rate of two per day.

Of the total EV stations, 1,600 provide fast charging solutions, meaning cars can be back on the road with 80 percent battery capacity in minutes.

"We've moved beyond the early concerns of range anxiety with EVs now exceeding the vast majority of customer's daily driving needs," said in a statement Nissan UK's managing director Kalyana Sivagnanam.

"The next challenge is for charging infrastructure to keep pace with the number of EVs on the road, and that the experience of recharging is as enjoyable and effortless as that of all-electric driving."

The trend seen in the UK is a Europe-wide phenomenon. At the end of last year, there were about 100,000 charging stations on the continent. The European Automobile Manufacturers' Association (ACEA) estimates the market needs an additional 2 million by 2025 to keep up with demand.

·
Super Moderator
10,973 Posts
AND to gas up only takes 5-10 minutes and you're on your way.

And for EV's ? Well, lets just ask: didja pack a lunch? :surprise:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Electric is the future and it's going to come very quickly now. I'm a complete petrol head however I'm really looking forward to it and indeed the SLK's hopefully going to be sharing a drive with a Tesla very soon. It's very easy to dismiss electric cars as being dull or lacking soul however however having spent a bit of time in both the P100D with ludicrous and an I-Pace they're certainly not dull, in fact the acceleration of the Tesla is literally breath taking.
As for range electric cars are now getting to the point where 250 miles of real world driving is possible which actually makes it more convenient for most people. I very rarely drive anywhere near that in a day, so being able to plug in overnight at home is going to be a lot better then having the weekly trip to a petrol station.

I'm hoping that I'll always have a petrol car as well as I love the noise and feel however I think we have to accept at this point that the age of internal combustion is ending and start to move on.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
AND to gas up only takes 5-10 minutes and you're on your way.

And for EV's ? Well, lets just ask: didja pack a lunch? :surprise:
Ev are now coming with rabid charging now with new tech out so will not be an issue

Circa 15 mins to full charge or 80 percent so its a no brainer .

and as and more motor companys bring out there next generation cars the car distance will get greater and greater
and wont be long be over 500 mile range .

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
Just throwing this out there, but, is anyone aware of evidence that oil companies are getting involved in electricity generation and distribution In any big way?
In the UK at least, electricity supply is becoming precarious based on existing infrastructure.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Just throwing this out there, but, is anyone aware of evidence that oil companies are getting involved in electricity generation and distribution In any big way?
In the UK at least, electricity supply is becoming precarious based on existing infrastructure.
Yep they jumped on the band wagon straight away and watch them increase the prices at charging stations or at home if you sign up to them .

With increases at night as people charge there cars .

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
Yep they jumped on the band wagon straight away and watch them increase the prices at charging stations or at home if you sign up to them .

With increases at night as people charge there cars .
What I meant was, are oil companies buying up or setting up generation and or infrastructure for the supply of electricity.

I don't follow the markets so have no idea if oil companies are still spending more on exploration and extraction of oil for fuel or if their investment has tipped the balance towards electricity supply.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
What I meant was, are oil companies buying up or setting up generation and or infrastructure for the supply of electricity.

I don't follow the markets so have no idea if oil companies are still spending more on exploration and extraction of oil for fuel or if their investment has tipped the balance towards electricity supply.
Yes there are one or two or more oil companys going in to electricity and charging stations in the uk and id imagine Europe .
Where theres money to be made they follow as in years to come more and more drop fuel / diesel so Electric is where there going to make there money and charge as they please .

So if you do go Electric do it at home with your panels to help as such .

·
6007.us
2,608 Posts
Just some thoughts:
First I've learned that the future will be different from anything you can imagine.
Second I suspect population density has something to do with it. - most of the US is "sparsely settled"
Third our electric grids are already near the limits - have problems around 6 pm when millions turn their AC on already.
Fourth, in the US the average car is driven 50 miles per day and about 10,000 miles a year.

With 121,000 gas stations I suspect it will be a while here and if there is a mass change I doubt that the infrastructure can support it. Maybe with a quick change common battery pack...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts