1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
I haven't found their official page on it yet, but I saw them post on their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MOTORWERKS/147980108567772?ref=stream

I don't know if anyone else posted this yet.
This is the mod that I've been dreaming of since I got my SLK55, was it someone from here that did the swap?
I would say the ultimate mod. indeed. It took him 2 years to complete and looks every bit as clean as a factory install! Looks like they just finished this yesterday. Wow, wonder what this cost the guy.

HERE is the thread on the MBWorld forum.

·
Air Suspension Manager
631 Posts
I saw a thread on mhhauto about this.
They were trying to figure out how to code ESP for that Engine :)

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
900 lb-ft of torque! Wow, you need to trail behind a set of rear tires to drive around in that lol. It's a monster, I wonder about the reliability on this.

·
DAS/STAR Registered Owner 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,020 Posts
Impressive ..

Nice touch with the 65 badge on the rear too ...

Cheers
Sean

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
How much do y'all think that ran for the total conversion? I bet it was something insane...
I'd guess that the motor alone was close to $50k. Proabably at least $225k all in; there's a lot of design work, fabrication, and labor in there.

But it is a stunning accomplishment, that's for sure.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there's a lot of design work, fabrication, and labor in there.
Per Satish's comments, there wasn't a lot of fabrication involved.
Satish's signature is that almost all the parts are OEM/AMG but from different models.

See transcript of my conversation below:
drakon: "Where there any panel changes? did the engine physically fit?
I'm guessing 75% of the difficulty was in the coding?"

Satish: "No panel changes. The engine and transmission did physically fit. You are correct...tons of computer coding and VIN matching of components.
SLK65 AMG with and engine, transmission, and engine management from an CL65 AMG. The power train was tuned to 750hp, 900 lb-ft of torque"

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Per Satish's comments, there wasn't a lot of fabrication involved.
Satish's signature is that almost all the parts are OEM/AMG but from different models.

See transcript of my conversation below:
drakon: "Where there any panel changes? did the engine physically fit?
I'm guessing 75% of the difficulty was in the coding?"

Satish: "No panel changes. The engine and transmission did physically fit. You are correct...tons of computer coding and VIN matching of components.
SLK65 AMG with and engine, transmission, and engine management from an CL65 AMG. The power train was tuned to 750hp, 900 lb-ft of torque"
My bad...very little fab work. But all those hours of computer coding and VIN-match research are certainly going to get added to the final bill, at whatever the going shop rate is. Still mind-bendingly expensive.

I'd be interested to see how the chassis and roof alignment hold up after, say, 50,000 miles of putting the hammer down on this thing. There's a lot more twist there than the R171 was designed to handle. Would I have a duplicate built if money were no object? Oohhhhh, yeah!:tu:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts