Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,648 Posts
just right. holds a set of golf clubs and/or a alot of suitcases

pictures courtesy of 'wingnut'

Attachments

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Wife and I find it quite manageable. I'm spoiled with the hatch and fold down rear seats in the C Coupe - loads of room.

The SLK maybe makes us think a bit more when packing, but mainly because I want to be able to put the top down.

·
aka Denny
196 Posts
I've found that a strong determination to have the top down results in very creative packing of the trunk. It really holds quite a bit if you pack for the trunk rather than simply tossing bags in there and trying to make it work.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Huge compared to many cars of it's size, it's still a two seat roadster, I think it's just about right.

·
WESTERN BILL
58 Posts
trunk to small

yes i think it to small . I CAN'T get a set of golf clubs in my trunk 1 have put them in my front seat between the dash and the seat i have really scarched up my dash and glove compartment door don't know where to get it fixed parts for the glove comppart is over 650.00 i went to a smaller bag and take my clubs out and put them in the front seat my bay in the back //I have a 2001 slk 320 and the top is ALWAY DOwn IF ITS OVER 60%I Have a driver that is 48'long it won"t fit if you find a solution please post it or p.m it to me ... thank you very much

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:I'm pleased with the trunk in the R171 SLK. Top up or down, space seems adequate for two people.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I find the trunk huge, ok not huge but very usable compared to a few cars that I was originally looking at.

For instance, the Saturn Sky.

Top up:

Top Down:

So much for top down driving if you ever go on a roadtrip.

I haven't tried putting my golfbag in yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Small compared to what?

For a two-seater drop-top, the SLK trunk space is pretty decent. Getting that long driver in the trunk is difficult, but in general it's fine for me. I managed to get a guitar and amp into the trunk without a problem and still get the top down.

As shown in the shots of the Saturn Sky (Solstice GXP is the same), with the hood down, you'd have a job getting a golf ball in the trunk, much less a set of clubs.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm getting the slk for everyday use, and people at work were telling me not to buy a slk cause you don't have a lot of trunk space and you only can take 1 persone whit you.
You better buy a VW Scirocco.
I took a look at the Scirocco.
Ok you can take 3 persones whit you, if they aren't tall. But I don't need 2 extra seats. I have a sedan @ the moment and my rear seats get used 4 times in a year. And the trunk space of a Scirocco is 292L that is less then the slk's 308L. thats way I postit the qeustion.

And I wanted to see you solutions for pakking.

·
Registered
944 Posts

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Hey gabus - quality wise, they are holding up well? I travel an insane amount, and have very good luck with TravelPro luggage - but both my carry on's are just a bit "wrong" sized for the SLK boot. Thought was to get a dedicated set, and use 'em only for the SLK, but we didn't like the MB branded SLK boot bag...

·
Registered
944 Posts
Hi
For insane amount of travel I don't know how long they'll last. I only use them in the SLK. I wouldn't trust them to an airline.:tazz:
They are made of fabric with zippers, and zippers are generally a weak point.
But so far, for the SLK I find them brilliant :bannana:

It also looks good, and are noticed, when you pull up to a hotel, open the trunk, and pull out 3 similar bags. For the R170 there's also a third bag that fits the "potato bin" - perfect for ladies shoes........ ;)

·
Registered
297 Posts
A friend of mine was in vacations for two weeks traveling with his SLK, last year,and maneged it very well with a samsonite who fits perfectly in the trunk.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Hey Gabus - how do you find the roadster bags? I've been going back and forth on getting a set.....
John,

have a look at these, they are for the 171.

http://www.smartmovez.com/shop/product_info.php?pName=roadsterbag-mercedes-slk-r171-luggage&cName=roadsterbag-luggage-mercedes-roadsterbag&osCsid=d37d938ea4d0b942d69c409df0797a1d

I find the boot adequate, I can get my golf clubs and my trolly in the boot and still close the roof, or carry the above and an additional set with the roof up.

We also packed 2 large soft bags for a weeks skiing and managed to squeeze them in.

I use my car everyday and its only when you need something where you can drop the rear seats to carry something big, it gets caught out, but I have enough friends with boring cars I can call on for those times.:rb

My partner has a Z3 and with my SLK we manage no problem, and both enjoy top-down motoring :biglaugh:

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Hey Normski, yeah, those are the ones I was looking at. I'm still on the fence, and I've got until the end of May before I get to play with the SLK, so I have a bit of time....

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.