1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Good luck & be safe.....R)

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Good luck and be safe! Curious to see how the R172 SLK55 performs. Any mods on it? Does it have the performance package?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No mods, but it does have the performance package!
When I look at the history of the Texas Mile, most cars go about 20% faster in the mile, than they do in the 1/4 mile. So 150 mph may not be achievable, but we will see!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The AMG did very well at the Texas Mile! I've attached the time slip which shows both the half mile speed and the full mile speed.
I expected it to run in the mid 140's, and was very pleasantly surprised at my best run (which occurred twice) of 158.2 mph. The weather was muggy, and we had a headwind both days. The heat and headwinds really took their toll in the afternoons and speeds consistently dropped to 155 mph. I made all the runs in sport/sport mode with one run in sport/manual. Using the manual mode produced identical times as sport mode.

The SLK surprised a lot of folks with it's near 160 runs! I was proud of it!

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
You are a brave soul. I can not even imagine driving the car that fast... 150+mph? That is fast.... The fastest I have ever done is 120mph and even then, it was a very short burst and I quickly slowed down... :burnout: No need to get the cops interested in me...

BTW, were the runs timed? How long did it take to get to 1/2-mile and 1-mile?

·
Room 4 2
235 Posts
I've had mine up to about 135 mph (I say 'about', because I was on a track and didn't get a lot of time to look down at the speedo) and never felt anything but in control in this car - AMG's really are designed to perform at those types of speed. On the other hand, in far West Texas, the spped limit on I-10 is 80 mph, and when I'm heading out there in my truck for deer hunting season, I feel like going even 85 mph is really taking a risk (as far as the handling is concerned). OTOH, In the SLK, I feel very confident to cruise at 85 with nary a care in the world.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The events were not timed, but the mile took about 33 seconds... don't know what the time was at the 1/2 mile. My friends in their ZR-1 Corvettes were in the low 180's through the mile. The ones in the Z-06 Corvettes were in the mid 170's. The ones in late model stock Mustangs were in the low 150's... just for reference points....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, top up for all runs (track rules).

We go back to the Texas Mile in two weeks (March 21st). This time I'm running my 2014 Camaro S/S 1LE. Having a lot of fun kidding my wife about how my Camaro is sure to go faster than her "little" AMG.

I'll have fun while I can, because there is no way on earth the Camaro will match the 158.2 mph run the AMG made!

Having fun!

·
Banned
433 Posts
Yes, top up for all runs (track rules).

We go back to the Texas Mile in two weeks (March 21st). This time I'm running my 2014 Camaro S/S 1LE. Having a lot of fun kidding my wife about how my Camaro is sure to go faster than her "little" AMG.

I'll have fun while I can, because there is no way on earth the Camaro will match the 158.2 mph run the AMG made!

Having fun!
Why do you not think it will hit around that or more? Isn't a 1-mile top-speed run mainly hp and aerodynamics (and partly gearing)? I don't know one way or the other about aerodynamics, but the 1LE has the hp covered.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bumpa2,
Here are some of the important numbers for a mile long race;
AMG = 417 hp/weight 3,583/drag coefficient 0.31/frontal area 22.7 sq.ft
Camaro = 426hp/weight 3,860/drag coefficient 0.35/frontal area 24 sq.ft

The numbers would say the AMG has the definite advantage, higher horsepower to weight ratio, less drag, and not pushing as much headwind. Of course, it could be cooler in March (Camaro) than it was last October (AMG). We had a strong headwind the entire weekend when we raced the AMG... I can always pray for a tailwind with the Camaro!!! However, all other things being equal, the AMG should do better than the Camaro.
That being said, maybe I'll get a tune and CAI on my Chevy! Can't have the wife outrunning me too bad!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts