Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am blessed to live in the great green state of Tennessee, home to some of the best little curvy two lanes, such as the imfamous Deal's Gap (aka "The Dragon"). But on the way back from Florida a couple of weeks ago, I decided to get off the interstate and take a "See Rock City" day trip.

Rock City is a old tourist attraction on Lookout Mountain, near Chattanooga. Fifty years ago, the South was lettered with signs painted on barns across the country that said "See Rock City". They are almost all gone, but the little two lane, Hwy 41, that runs through Tennessee that used to be the main highway before I-24 is still there, with some wicked twisties in places, particularly coming over Mont Eagle.

Sooo...we drove Highway 41 from Lookout Mountain to Nashville that Sunday afternoon, and it was a delight- although my wife was less than pleased at the speed I took on a couple of hairpin curves. Can't wait to find a few more of those.:burnout:

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Memories..........my mom and dad took Sis and I to see Rock City and the caverns in the massive Buick Roadmaster. It had 2 mods that I remember well. One was an imaginary yellow line down the middle of the back seat which neither Sis nor I could cross without great harm to our behinds. Second was a stainless steel box with cover that dad had attached to the exhaust manifold. It was used to heat foil wrapped "Hobo Dinners" while driving down the road. For those who missed this treat....a Hobo Dinner is a hamburger patty with carrotts, onions, and potatoes. We always carried an ample supply of sweet iced tea.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greg- sounds like we grew up in a similar time. I've had those hobo dinners too, just cooked in the fireplace. As kids, we used to take vacations to the mountains and Mom would pack a picnic lunch of fried chicken and fixings in an actual picnic basket to eat at a "roadside park" on the way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts