Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
First and foremost, I got my SLK350 today, it's Black Beige with ~18k miles with all the goods except the upgraded sound system and Nav.

I couldn't have done it without you guys, especially "etyu" , "Woolly", "ben721364", "UK-C200", "Der Flieger", and anyone else i might have forgotten to mention.

I am now an official owner of SLK :) Thanks much again guys.

I will try to stick around as much as i can before medical school starts. If anyone of you have questions about my previous threads, or anything i can help with, feel free to PM me, i will respond.

I still have a few questions regarding the car (most of these i've already did search and relevant threads, but i still have these questions):

1.) after reading the manual, i realized that the phone used in the car MUST be a MB phone? (wtf is a MB phone????) Can i not use bluetooth on this car (if there is an easily-installed mod, please let me know).

2.) i know the consensus is Smart Top is FIRST MOD EVER, but this car already has the IR roof thing and i feel like with the combo of automatic climate control and texas, remote start might be a better mod before smart top. Feel free to discuss this.

3.) with the steering wheel controls, can i not change/switch between the preset stations instead of switching to the next frequency???

4.) is there an easy way to get me to use my iPod or install a USB with this r171 model?

5.) Wolly's sock mod is a must? (rhetorical question :))

6.) I used to have a hide-a-key somewhere on my car (spare key just in case i lost my keys or locked them in or something). Is there a smart way to do this with the smart keys? (I only have 2 keys total and i keep one at the house for final backup, also i'm not paranoid )

7.) I want to stealth out the car much like in this thread, but there is not a "guide" thread on doing this (i'd be willing to start/finish one if given the proper guidance on how to do the blacking out), any tips from people with experience.

8.) what is the rave with all the HID headlights?

All the questions for now, let the discussions begin :)

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Hi The (!! ),

congrats on the new car.

In no particular order

- it was Eddy's sock mod, not mine.

- IR roof opening is a waste of time - get a SmartTop!!

- Look in the glove box for a 3.5mm jack socket - you can plug an iPod (or any other mp3 player ) into that (but you won't have any control over it ). You will need to pick up a 3.5mm plug to 3.5mm plug lead from Radio Shack or somewhere like that.

- Search the forum for 'Blue Tooth Puck' - that will solve your phone connectivity problems

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks wolly and eddy!

Can I still do the 3.5 mm jack if I got the 6 disk changer in the glove? (i may not even try to get iPod because the thing plays mp3 CDs)

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Can I still do the 3.5 mm jack if I got the 6 disk changer in the glove? (i may not even try to get iPod because the thing plays mp3 CDs)
Just have a look in it to see if you can see a 3.5 jack socket. If you can, then select AUX on your COMAND unit, and it will play. On mine, I can play dual layer DVD's in the COMAND unit - that's over 8gig of mp3s - I think in the States, although you can't play DVD video, you can play mp3 DVDs.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Congratulations on both the R171 and medical school.

I understand that you will be very busy and expect exams routinely every 2 weeks at least. As my daughter describes it: "it's undergrad on crack". When does school start? August 1st?

Echoing Woolly: the OEM IR is rubbish (notice the British influence), install the SmartTop. The sock-over-buckle mod does 2 things: reduce chaffing and dirt collection on the leather (especially beige or white or sand colours) and also stops the squeak from the buckle rubbing against the leather seats (as observed and reported by rubenhak). In Woolly's honor, it has to be 100% wool :)

Woolly already clarified about bluetooth, use the MHI for MB vehicles (presuming you already have everything required for bluetooth operation installed), check wireless4MB website.

Hope you get some time to drive the R171 during your breaks, just to relax.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Congrats on the new car! Woolly and Eddy have covered just about everything.

#6] It's pretty hard to lock your key in your car - although it can be done. I'd personally not worry about it. Also remember that a new key is about $300 by the time you get it in your hand, so that's pretty good incentive to keep up with 'em.

#7] There are a number of good threads, but no exhaustive one - be interesting to see what you come up with.

#8] BiX? Huge improvement over the halogens.

·
19,400 Posts
Forgot to mention: if you have MBrace, then one can unlock the vehicle with the downloaded smartphone application.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,650 Posts
Congrats and heed everyone else's comments on smarttop.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Though you have fair weather there, it seems the worst case scenario is to have a flat battery, making it nearly impossible to get in the car.

1) check to see if the mechanical locks are working (driver's door and trunk)
2) install a remote charger (once again I think Eddy did a DIY on this)

Congrats on the car and good luck in med school - quite an accomplishment just getting accepted. Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing.

**Jeff, can you edit the title so the rest of us don't feel inadequate in our 350's? :biglaugh:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Though you have fair weather there, it seems the worst case scenario is to have a flat battery, making it nearly impossible to get in the car.

1) check to see if the mechanical locks are working (driver's door and trunk)
2) install a remote charger (once again I think Eddy did a DIY on this)

Congrats on the car and good luck in med school - quite an accomplishment just getting accepted. Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing.

**Jeff, can you edit the title so the rest of us don't feel inadequate in our 350's? :biglaugh:

LOL i started this thread on my iphone, pretty impressive that there was only 1 typo huh? just happened to be a very crucial title LOL

Thanks all!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congratulations on both the R171 and medical school.

I understand that you will be very busy and expect exams routinely every 2 weeks at least. As my daughter describes it: "it's undergrad on crack". When does school start? August 1st?

Echoing Woolly: the OEM IR is rubbish (notice the British influence), install the SmartTop. The sock-over-buckle mod does 2 things: reduce chaffing and dirt collection on the leather and also stops the squeak from the buckle rubbing against the leather seats (as observed and reported by rubenhak). In Woolly's honor, it has to be 100% wool :)

Woolly already clarified about bluetooth, use the MHI for MB vehicles (presuming you already have everything required for bluetooth operation installed), check wireless4MB website.

Hope you get some time to drive the R171 during your breaks, just to relax.

It starts in mid august, i'm gonna try to get my car modded the way i like it before then.

I think i'm just gonna use this car as a everyday car (i live 5 miles away from the school max) so i can drive it EVERYDAY :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also anyone has wheel locks for their car??

I won't have too nice of rims but i hear that people do try to take any rims with the MB logo on it (school is in the part of town that is known for hookers and drug dealers)....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congrats on the new car! Woolly and Eddy have covered just about everything.

#6] It's pretty hard to lock your key in your car - although it can be done. I'd personally not worry about it. Also remember that a new key is about $300 by the time you get it in your hand, so that's pretty good incentive to keep up with 'em.

#7] There are a number of good threads, but no exhaustive one - be interesting to see what you come up with.

#8] BiX? Huge improvement over the halogens.

BiX is that hard to install/hard to find?

·
19,400 Posts
It starts in mid august, i'm gonna try to get my car modded the way i like it before then.

I think i'm just gonna use this car as a everyday car (i live 5 miles away from the school max) so i can drive it EVERYDAY :)
Hope you get to drive it 30 minutes at-a-stretch or more during the week-end, or think of the battery trickle charger pre-wire.

i'm not as worried about having my keys locked in as much as i lost my keys and can't get in...
Then the iPhone Mbrace phone app will be your back-up. (Note: subscription required, do a search on this and see if MBrace will give you the "lifetime" promotion, i.e., good as long as you own the car)

·
19,400 Posts
Also anyone has wheel locks for their car??

I won't have too nice of rims but i hear that people do try to take any rims with the MB logo on it (school is in the part of town that is known for hookers and drug dealers)....
May want to find a safe and guarded parking then. I do not have wheel locks on mine but then do not go to aforementioned neighborhoods with the r171.473.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hope you get to drive it 30 minutes at-a-stretch or more during the week-end, or think of the battery trickle charger pre-wire.
the usual drive is may be 15 mins at the most, are you saying this short driving will drain out the batteries? I will definitely look into this.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.