Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife's SLK 32 AMG battery died. We had it replaced, along with a couple other maintenance things done (oil change and a brake light that had gone out).

I had not given the mechanic the radio code, so he couldn't get the radio to work. Dumb on me for sure.

But we got home and entered the radio code and the radio started working. Two days later, it stopped. I've pulled the radio itself out and it's fuse is OK. And all the cabling into the rear of the radio appears correct and functional.

But no noise out of the radio. When you turn it on, it LOOKS like it's working. You can turn up the volume and it SHOWS the volume going up on the radio, unfortunately there is NOTHING coming out of the speakers.

This has been going on for about a month. I have checked all the fuses in the car. As I said, I checked the fuse on the back of the radio.

About a week or so ago, the wife stuck a cassette into the deck and it worked great. Sounded better than even I remember. So the amp appears to be functional and the volume controls/cassette controls work.

Further research pointed me to the antenna connection on the drivers side rear of the car.

I pulled the panel in the trunk and took a look and I didn't see any cables disconnected, etc. So I stopped there, figuring that worst case is I have to replace the antenna amp OR the cable between the antenna amp and the radio (I seriously doubt that, but hey anything is possible).

OR BOTH.

Any other suggestions before I tear into the antenna amp?

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
leapyfish,

Thx, that is SOP for when I encounter bad hardware for me (easy way for me to check if hardware is bad). But I don't have any other SLK owners that I know nearby.

Having said that I was considering changing that out for one of the other 'factory style' radios.

Mercedes Audio 10 MF2910 CD-R Alpine Becker Original Autoradio - Car-Radio.de

I've been looking at these online. Something like this is a 'plug and play', assuming everything ELSE is working.

Other than swapping the radio out, is there any other way to check if the antenna amp is functioning?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.