Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our wives are human, too....so they must have some funny quirks. Can we share the cute ones?

My wife always unplugs the microwave after she uses it....which means that I have to replug it whenever I want to use it. But, this is a practice with most Thai women, so it is more cultural than anything else (she says it saves electicity....but the clock always reverts to flashing dashes).

She also unplugs to toaster.

And to make this thread Mercedes relevant, she also turns off the car radio and AC before turning off the ignition.

Aside from those few things she is perfect.

Love you, Watcharee. I am glad you don't read everything I write.

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230 Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,093 Posts
I saw a show last night that said appliances left plugged in still use 73% electricity. Even cell phone chargers left plugged in use same amount electricity even if cell phone is not plugged into it.

They say unplugging VCR's, coffee makers, laptop cords, basically anything not being used will save you hundreds over a years time.

I too turn off a/c before turning off car. Not sure why, just always have.

SLKman:tu:

·
Banned
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw a show last night that said appliances left plugged in still use 73% electricity. Even cell phone chargers left plugged in use same amount electricity even if cell phone is not plugged into it.

They say unplugging VCR's, coffee makers, laptop cords, basically anything not being used will save you hundreds over a years time.

Maybe I am dumber than I thought.:tu:

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts

If you didn't know, or they didn't say, the reason these devices still use a percentage of electricity is because they have transformers in them. Without getting into too much theory of operation, transformers still drop a certain amount of current because of the action of alternating current (commonly known as AC) since it induces into the secondary winding of the transformer thereby causing current to flow through the secondary side of the transformer. The reason it would not be 100% usage is because there is no external load (whatever device the power supply is powering, i.e. cell phone)

:hijacked: ...Sorry.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Kevin, you so smart, you sceer me. My wife Bretta is perfect, has to be to tolerate me for 22 years. She like all women I have ever known has a quirk, shampoo bottles, thousands of shampoo bottles all in the shower at the same time. What is the deal? Men: bar of soap, razor toothbrush in the shower ok, maybe a bottle of shampoo for those who want the fluffy look. The master suite in my house has two showers, hers (stocked for eternity), mine as stated above. :tu: :tu:

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
...The master suite in my house has two showers, hers (stocked for eternity), mine as stated above. :tu: :tu:
Huh! And I thought we would be original having two seperate showers...thanks Doug.

My wife's "quirk" is probably stereotypical of women...SHOES! Shoes for every occassion, whether its taken place or not...because it could?

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
My wife has thousands of mail order catalogs. She gets a few dozen in the mail a week, and pages through them everyday when she gets home. Hardly ever orders anything from them. For her, it's like window shopping at home.

CJ also has a problem with hotel bath supplies. She steals them!! For a five night hotel stay, she will come home with dozens of little shampoos, soaps, conditioners, lotions, etc. Then - when we have hundreds of these - she makes little guest bathroom gift baskets of them and sells them!! People snatch them up for a couple bucks a basket at garage sales and they sell out quickly. I guess this is her frugal side and creative side coming together.

Love ya CJ.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
CJ also has a problem with hotel bath supplies. She steals them!! For a five night hotel stay, she will come home with dozens of little shampoos, soaps, conditioners, lotions, etc. Then - when we have hundreds of these - she makes little guest bathroom gift baskets of them and sells them!! People snatch them up for a couple bucks a basket at garage sales and they sell out quickly. I guess this is her frugal side and creative side coming together.

Love ya CJ.
Sounds like my wife, she does the same thing. We try to travel out of country once a year and a couple of other times in state and we have a lot of extra souvenirs. :D

She also tries to get little things for free, small samples of lotion, makeup, eyeliner, etc and she usually gets it. Her friends isn't so lucky. She waits until there are free gifts before buying makeup products, so we have a lot of small purses with makeup kit's. I usually don't go shopping with her b/c she's takes forever and then comes home with all these free stuff we don't need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.