Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing some research, and tending to favor newer models as a matter of course, but I don't want a turbo (I don't want to pay for a "performance" convertible as I only plan to leisurely cruise around in one). That had me favoring R171, but now I am hearing a lot of good about R170. Two basic questions for owners; 170 vs 171, years vs miles.

170/171 would be focused on the middle years not the mostly turbo earlier or later model years. I prefer the driving experience of the non turbo, and purchase cost and maintenance is higher for a turbo. IIRC 07/08 is the transition from 170 to 171.

This one has to be wife friendly, no wife annoying issues. That has me a bit spooked on anything older than 2005, with a preference for maybe 2011 ish. Should I pay less attention to the years and more to the miles or vice versa?

** Side note, dozens of flood damaged SLK are on the market right now, not a good idea almost ever. Google the vin at a minimum, even if you get a carfax etc.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,316 Posts
you already read this I assume

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-general-discussion/426466-buying-171-what-look-guide.html

I had a 2002 SLK 320 and a 2005 SLK 350
I rate the 350 far above the 320 for styling and power

The r170 is at most a 22 year old car and at the least a 14 year old car
Rust has already set in

The r171 only had balance shaft issue/oil consumption early years 2004-early 2007

Get free datacards for all the cars you check out

years or mileage don't make a diff if taken care of

I have a 9.5 year old 108000 mile 55 :D

Good luck

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,719 Posts
Condition is everything, age does not really matter, odo reading does.

My oldest car is a 1970, then an 88, 90, 01, 07, and 12. All have AC, all could go to LaLaLand tomorrow (70 would use A Lot of 93 octane).

All depends on the specific car and the life it has had (mine are all garaged in a no-rust climate).

Any 320 or 350 will have plenty of power for cruising and Interstate use. Manual trans is faster than automagic. (but a fast 1-2 is liable to trip the traction control with either.

The R171 has the best nose and tilt steering, the R170 is more DIY. For myself I specifically wanted a low milage SLK320 but a 350 with over 100,000 miles is probably past the balance shaft issue. YMMV.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK32 AMG
5,257 Posts
Hmmmm...mine is an '04 and rust has NOT set in. I prefer the classic look of the 170. About everything that could go wrong is discussed by previous/current owners with diagnosis and DYI. Condition, mileage, and maintenance are the key. Not sure what wife friendly is, mine smiles every time we ride around ?. don't know about yours, but the only thing that annoys my wife is my driving style, sometimes, ? And being stranded. Soooo, I got AAA.

Good hunting!

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,202 Posts
Mileage not so important.

Condition is everything.

Don't be put off by a lack of MB service.
IF the car has been loved, that far outweighs stamps in books.

Always work through the list:
http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/68666-new-used-vehicle-pickup-checklist.html

Always get a datacard:
Vehicle Data Card - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Roof noise?
http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/20937-spring-here~gummi-pflege-lube-your-seals-lithium-grease-your-joints-hinges.html

Before you drive reset the adaptive learning.
http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/70666-reset-transmission-adaptive-learning.html

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wife friendly, as this is "mostly" her fun car, means nothing "sort of" works, it has to work, as in start, lock, not make weird noises or vibrations. I've already used up all the tolerance points for old project cars I spend years fixing this or that on.

Two drivers in the family don't like shifting, which I love, but no arguing with it.

I had the date split wrong, as I read it, it is 03/04, which makes it much more likely I go with 171, unless a special car turns up.

Rust not much of an issue in SoCal unless the car is located very near the ocean.

I'm in general a big fan of very low mileage cars, less than 20k cars can be almost new in appearance, but some stuff does age even with care so I hope to keep below 100k. So far I note asking prices depend heavily on mileage, with 150k plus cars well below $5k

Thats all for now, back to looking until I find something promising.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,559 Posts
As above, buy the best you can.
For cruising around I would go for a 55, so effortlessly achieving the burble.
The 170 AMG should hold its value as good ones are becoming rare.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,379 Posts
The 170 230 is supercharged not turbo. The super charger only kicks in when you it hit. AS it is based on speed and how hard you hit the gas pedal. If maintained either one will last a long time. Condition is everything. There are many on here with hi mileage cars. I have a 2007 with over 100k and is still running strong and few problems over the years. For repairs look for a independent MB shop. They can save you money compared to dealers. Dealers have a high labor charge and some do mark up parts over MSRP.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK32 AMG
5,257 Posts
Something special? Might look for an Slk32. Only automatics, supercharged, and perhaps an investment because of limited production. Manufactured '01 - '04. Good one 170/171's out there...just takes patience. 6 months to find mine.

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Appeal of the 55 isn't lost on me, but it doesn't appear to be lost on anybody selling one either as reflected in asking prices.

I wondered about the super vs turbo thinking sellers might be confused, but neither one appeals to me for this car, V6 power is plenty for my uses, and either form of boost has more up front cost as well as longer term maint costs.

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Happy ending, drove off from the dealer last night at 9pm in 2012 350 with 101k miles. I had no plans to buy it, just stopped in to let my wife see if she liked the seats, sport types with the nose on each side of your ribs. Unfortunately she liked them and a few minutes later I was in the hot seat coming up with an offer, double unfortunately they eventually accepted it. (humor, of course we are delighted).

More info in a new thread, but big part of decision to buy was the carfax showing regular dealer service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.