Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like my SLK, I really do, but the one thing I'm not a big fan of is other people who own SLKs.

Just a simple thing- waving. I wave at every SLK I see, and I haven't gotten a single wave back???

Now in my Camaros I can wave at new camaros, old camaros, mustangs, and almost all of them wave back. Same thing with my vettes, and most of all, the jeep. I can't tell you a jeep owner who HASN'T waved at me. With all these cars if I park next to someone else who owns one they are always up for a chat.

I'm sure its just because of the type of people who tend to buy SLKs aren't "car people" like the people who own the other cars, but I can't help but interperet it as elitist.

Now I really do love and appreciate this forum, as I feel there are other people like me- up for a chat, up to fix something- car people who own SLKs, but in the general population that seems to be rare and few between, and thats an important part of car ownership I find "missing" with my SLK experience. I was thinking about getting an R171, maybe an AMG, but I thought this important part of car ownership is missing so maybe its just not the right "fit" of car for someone like me.

Is this the same in other cities in the US? How about other countries in the world? Is the AMG crowd more "my type"?

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
I have noticed the same thing. While I won't say that "nobody" has ever waved back, I'll say that I can't remember (It's an age thing) anyone ever waving back, and I try to wave as well. So what is it, are they just distracted, or are they really so uptight that they can't stoop to greet another SLK driver on the road?

I contrast that with this forum. This is by far the friendliest internet forum I have ever exerienced. So why should the people on here be the most helpful and friendly I can imagine, and go out of their way to be cordial, and the ones I meet on the road just look at me when I greet them?

Or are we just perpetuating the "us vs. them" scenario? (i.e. 90% of people say that they are basically honest, but believe that only 50% of other people are - I made those #'s up, by the way, but you get what I mean)

Gene

Reactions: Squishband

·
Registered 2005 SLK200
307 Posts
Nice thoughts. I have never thought about it that way. But that's because not so many people own a SLK where I live. People here are buying more functional cars because few of them can afford two or more vehicles.

On the other side, the truth is that every second or third car on the road here is an S-Class (last two models). In my own opinion, seeing a lot of vehicles like yours could be very annoying. I am personally more of a rare bird and I prefer less models like mine around me. But that doesn't mean that I am not going to wave at you when I see you in your car or that I am not going to accept your offer for a joint ride.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,389 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I cannot help but to think that many people are just wrapped up in their world and don't pay any attention to what is around them. Some of my best friends are VW Touareg owners who met on a forum and four wheel together each year.....but on the road, you almost have to hit another Touareg owner to get them to wave!

In my part of the country, city folks never acknowldge any one else, but when driving out on Farm to Market roads, every driver gives a nod, raised index finger, or wave to every other vehicle. Love those rural folks.

I will choose to associate with those "car people" and "people people" rather than someone who is just impressed with their Mercedes.

As usual, my opinion and $4 will get you a Starbucks.

Rick

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I seem to get a few waves in the UK, but honestly, most of the time I'm paying attention to only the bumper stopped in front of me! :)

With regard to the OPs original question - I don't think I've ever picked a car due to the way other's drove or recognized it - I've always just picked the car I wanted! :)

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
We'd had our SLK for a few months before I found this place. So we got our SLK because it is a stunning car, that has very few peers.

The people we've met through this forum have without exception been some of the most friendly and pleasant people one could wish to know. The help and respect shown in the forum as a whole is by far the best I've experienced on the web.

To the original point, I've found the response from other 'drive-by' SLKers to be quite varied. Some look at you like cows at a passing train, some don't look at all and some wave or 'flash' back. I treat them all the same, and give a friendly wave or flash. I simply don't care if they choose not to acknowledge me. I still admire their car and the fact they own one too, even if they don't.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,945 Posts
I get waves now and then, also thumbs-ups from pedestrians. But yeah, it's few and far between especially for how many SLKs I see here in the Southern California area. Luckily meeting fellow slkworld.com folks more than makes up for it in terms of the amounts of enthusiasm people display!! :D

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
I think it is a geographical issue. People in rural areas tend to be more road friendly than people in heavily populated issues. Here in southern Illinois you just don't meet a lot of cars on the road and most people are local folks so waving is the norm. When I lived in Los Angeles no one waived.....seemed pointless to a degree.......guess that is all you would ever get done with so many cars.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Wave!

Almost everywhere I drive my Corvette (nationwide), especially my home region, other Vette owners wave/wave back (even the ladies). The SLK, rare. It does make me wonder if many of them have their head up their aXX.

·
Registered
628 Posts
- I rode motorcycles (mostly Ducati and Moto Guzzi marques) for many years. Nearly everyone riding motorcycles will wave or nod in response, or initiate.

- When I owned a Land Rover Freelander, no one ever waved back. Same for the Toyota MR2.

- In many years of driving Alfa Romeos, nearly all Alfa Romeo owners waved. Sometimes, in the midst of a dark moment*in Alfa ownership, I'd have this thought, 'Are they saying "Hail fellow Alfa enthusiast, I like your car!" or "You poor sucker, I know just what you're going through!"'

]'-)

Having not seen a single yellow R170 for several years, now that I own one I am now beset with them. This morning on the way to work, one (outfitted with sport kit) passed in the opposite direction just a mile from my home and another (probably a year or two later than mine, door handles were body color, and an automatic) pulled up next to me at a stop light.

And since I bought Die Gelbe Gefahr, I have now noticed that there are typically six other SLKs parked in the lots of the three adjoining buildings where I work every day. R170s, R171s and one R172.

It's almost frightening how this comes to your consciousness.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Thanks jb, you saved me the time of posting that link :tu:

Arachnyd, I've been experiencing this since I bought my SLK; very few return waves. No, I didn't make the SLK choice for the multitude of waves I thought I'd get, but a little SLK camaraderie would be welcome.
By the way, if you have nothing better to do; http://www.slkworld.com/u-s-midwest-region/27341-2012-indiana-slk-meet-saturday-june-2-a.html

Just enjoy the drive and don't get too miffed by the lack of waves :Beer:

·
Registered
8 Posts
The guy driving the one other SLK I saw didn't wave back, but it's a pretty small sample. Don't any of you guys come to northern Michigan?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,389 Posts
well we know you people from northern michigan come down here!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
As a former Corvette owner, I'm a waver. It's tradition. Then again, I grew up in rural northeast Missouri where everybody waves.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
My wife would accuse me of being uber friendly when it comes to waving. It may be my nature, or having had a number of motorcycles. btw, a wave or flash of the lights will get waves and smiles from the motorcycle crowd (fellow open air types I guess). Even the Harley types!

It's an on going "problem". We just have to keep chipping away from it folks...eventually we'll crack their shells.

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
I went to visit my parents over Mother's Day. They now live in a retirement gated community with a golf course here in the bay area. I would find it depressing to live there as every five minutes you hear the siren from an ambulance hauling away a neighbor, or even worse a friend. I noticed that many people there walk with a cane or a walker. When they pass each other, they rarely wave. I'm not sure if waving would make them loose their balance and fall, or if they consider those types of devices the "norm" and it's nothing special. Maybe it's the same way for many that drive SLK's in Cincinnati :biglaugh:

Reactions: Woolly

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:It's a "enthusiasm" thing. The newer you're to your car, the more enthusiastic you normally are. As a former Corvette owner, they're among the best wavers. Overall, I'd have to say the Harley owners group is the friendliest amongst themselves. I'm a waver who likes to spread the enthusiasm.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.