Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,733 Posts
Make sure buyer joins us....and...

you'll be back with an SLK :D

And I beat those 'mericun cars quite often...

See Driving Stories section

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,733 Posts
I thought this was SLKWorld Daniel?
Don't make me close his thread

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yee-haw! Real good ol' boy territory!

I can understand why you changed (just) Enjoy. We'll be here if the novelty wears off or the need for the wind in your hair becomes just too much..

M

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do a heads-up between those two before you sell it!

Initial thoughts...

SS - bigger MUCH bigger, actually it's slightly larger than an E-class coupe (length and width) albeit lighter (which was a real shock to me!). Obviously, depending on your P.o.V. this is either a bad thing or it doesn't matter: for it's a non-issue, a slightly larger car means it'll be more practical on longer trips away to Germany (with all of the shopping that I like to bring back). They are both surprisingly comfortable, however as I'm currently suffering from chronic back pain the SS (being slightly higher) does have a noticeable edge!)

Toy-wise both come very well equiped: the SLK has the wonderful airscarf and that roof, the SS has HuD which is great but can't match the open-top fun of the SLK!.

Performance is a win for the SLK, the SS is no slouch but the SLK is just a beast (and louder too :(), ride comfort is probably better in the SS - certainly there is less cabin noise, then again being 8 years younger and a newer design it should be quieter (interestingly enough the SS is also way quieter than the 18reg FIAT 500X I had as a courtesy car!). It's still too early to figure on the economy comparison, suffice it to say that neither will feature on greenpeace's list of cars to buy!!

Styling-wise - "you pays your money you takes your choice". The SLK55 is an aggressive sports-car, the SS an aggressive retro-musclecar/coupe which is (visually) a lot more shouty/brash than the SLK, at least mine is in Inferno Orange Metallic lol.

On the rarity side of things, the SS is massively rarer than even the 55 in the UK. Which is kinda nice but not an issue one way or the other TBH.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Camaro = redneck? That's news to me. I see a lot of teens, tweens, trophy wives, and old ladies driving them. :smile:

I guess ANY American muscle car might engender images of Hank Williams and Dale Earnhardt. Also, we dont all own horses. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Camaro = redneck? That's news to me. I see a lot of teens, tweens, trophy wives, and old ladies driving them. :smile:

I guess ANY American muscle car might engender images of Hank Williams and Dale Earnhardt. Also, we dont all own horses. :wink:
That's because to the folks in Europe town all Americans are "rednecks" :laugh::laugh: I'm fine with it - I like doing burnouts and tearing up stuff and starting fires!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
That's because to the folks in Europe town all Americans are "rednecks" :laugh::laugh: I'm fine with it - I like doing burnouts and tearing up stuff and starting fires!
. . . it all starts with "hey Bubba, look at this" . . . we're all rednecks on this side of the pond (I even DO own horses and cows and goats and chickens and and and) ;>)

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

please accept my apologies if offence was caused :frown: - not my intention

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
@waylander, first off, congrats on the new Camaro SS. Beautiful looking car, and in an eye-candy color....

But I want you to know that you will be back in an SLK in a not-too-distant future. That open roof will beckon and draw you ever so close to wanting one again. I once sold off a 55 and bought an AWD sedan, took a loooong 2 years and I was antsy to jump back into another SLK. It is just the SLK aura and magic that sucks owners in. Once you own one, hard to let it go...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts