Mercedes SLK World banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wow Dave!!! Your talents are overwhelming!! Your mechanical skills are truly amazing but quite a carpenter too!! Love you new shop and "the kids" in there look very nice and content. That is an amazing build just like your V8 SLK is going to be. Can't wait!
Merry Christmas my friend and may 2020 be the year that you make great progress on all your big projects.
Best regards,

Lisa

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
Hi Guys .................

OK, well here it is, the update from all works done over the holiday period, in between all the food, drink, festivities and family stuff ;)

So firstly I built the large door and gave it 3 good thick coats of Cuprinol to stop the weather attacking the 19mm Exterior ply, then did exactly the same for the small door.
Once I got them hung, (all on my own as usual, jeez that big door is heavy, 2.4 M long and not far off 2.3m high) :eek:

Compared to the nice "Rustic" appearance of the outside, the Doors look a bit stark, and as I have loads of 2m + offcuts of 2" x 2" 's eventually I will rip them to 2" x 3/8" pieces to trim the outside of the doors so they mirror the inner framework shape, I think that will make it look a little less stark on the Front Elevation ;)

My suspicions were confirmed, the uneven land in front of the Doors which also sloped up hill in unison with my driveway would need quite a bit of digging out and levelling before I could fully open the doors :(
Had to do the digging by hand with spade and shovel, and that day it was absolutely hammering down with rain, the only upside was it softened up the ground a lot ;0

I also trimmed a few bits of trees, and right now it is dug out a little too much in some places, and although the Doors now open properly without touching anywhere, there is still a small hump in front of the large Door, which I am going to level off when time permits :)

I will source a trailer load of smaller black chips to final level it all and prevent puddles ;)
As it is now, Doors open and fix back open properly and my 2 Cars can be driven back in later today after I've tidied up inside, ready for the onslaught of paying work that is already here / more arriving tomorrow ;)

Doors and Landscaping ........

Regarding puddles I also finished the front edges with matching Sarking Board Cladding, including the Fascia Board across the Timber Lintel, and then fixed up the Guttering and Down-pipe which has stopped all the rainwater from the Roof ending up in front of the Garage. Added the Door Hook Backs too .........

Timber wise there isn't too much left to do, the South Wall upper Eaves "triangle" is left to do (about 5 Sarking Boards), but that is still sealed up fine with the Poly Sheet :)
Some 2" x 2" 's to fix up each of the 4 corner posts, which will neaten and seal up the gaps in the Sarking Board cladding here .............

On to the Electrics, second fix on Ring Main, (clipping and pulling in all the Cables and making off Wiring ends) .............

And the Ring Main final fix, , Wiring and Fixing Sockets, then hooking it all in to the Dist. Board, all now tested working :) ..............

And finally (for now), the first part of the Heating Circuit, the first one of up to four Fused Spurs fixed Wired and working, the wee 2kw Heater is keeping the chill off despite no insulation and all the draughts from the gaps here and there that are yet to be filled in / finished ............

There will be at least 1 maybe up to 3 more of these Heaters, when I have insulated and clad the inside so I can get a good stable 40 + deg C temperature for when I eventually start using it as a Paint Booth :D

Off out now to tidy it all out, and get my Cars back in there, a small upgrade to do on the S Class whilst the SDS is on the bench and the car is in the Workshop, then I've just got to test the Mazda IDS Diag Machine I also built over the holidays, before using it in anger tomorrow on a troublesome CDI Diesel Mazda that's been here since pre Christmas ;)

"That's all folks" , cue the music .............

:)

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
Jobs a good'un Dave. I guess you will be putting in some means of keeping the doors tethered - that big one is like a huge sail.
As for the 'stark' appearance of the doors, I quite like the contrast with the cladding - quite 'architecchy'.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Absolutely beautiful Dave. Love the siding cladding you did. Amazing work and it looks beautiful. I also loved the fact that your have a "man" door that is not so big and then you have the big "barn door" that opens the entire end of the building. Very nice touch and it adds to the character to the front of the building. Not sure it would need the trim on the doors as you are going to do as it looks fine to me. But it will be your signature finish to the front. Super nice job on the electrics too. All in conduit is a nice touch. When I wired my shop I used Remex wire and staples throughout. But conduit is certainly the professional way to go. I assume once you get all the electrics and wire in the walls you'll be insulating and sheetrocking the entire building. Oh it will be toasty in there for sure unlike my huge metal building without any insulation. Love your work and can't wait to see the shop finished as it's only going to get better!! Fabulous work for sure!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I assume once you get all the electrics and wire in the walls you'll be insulating and sheetrocking the entire building. Oh it will be toasty in there for sure unlike my huge metal building without any insulation. Love your work and can't wait to see the shop finished as it's only going to get better!! Fabulous work for sure!
Thanks for your kind observations Lisa ;)

Yes it will be having "Kingspan 50mm Insulation boards throughout, they are foil backed, but then not Plasterboard, (sheetrock), will be 6mm ply painted with washable satin finish white ;)

I have found the ply withstands little knocks better in a garage environment, and satin white will make for even spread of light when doing Paintwork ;)

The day just got better in the last half hour as well, Garage is cleared up and SLK is now sleeping in there, so I dropped the S Class off the lift and did a little job on it ..........

Ever since I've had the car the Power-folding mirrors have never worked upon Lock / Unlock with the Key Buttons, (Autofold), but have always worked by pushing and holding the interiors Mirror Fold Buttons :confused:

Despite having driven several other W220's that did this, and also I tried all sorts of Version Codings in Door Modules, Cluster and EIS still stubbornly they refused to do it.
I changed a Coding in EIS a while back and that got them to fold upon a quick "One Touch" of the internal Buttons, but still no Autofold .......

Long story short I theorised that MB had altered the Software in the Door Modules at some point over the production run ..............
Last week I found a Drivers and Passengers Door Module with much later Software than mine so I bought them both, turned up in yesterdays post :D

Before putting the SDS away, and the Car in the garage I swapped the Drivers DCM, didn't even need the SDS, it works a treat now plug and play:D :D :D

So all in all the Holiday period has been really good to me :)
Off for Beer and Hot Tub in a minute ;)
(y)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I used that foil back insulation on the doors in the hangar that I store my airplane in. It has all the properties that you talked abou. Plus it's a lot tougher and easier repaired the "plaster board". Still can't wait to see your shop done.
Interesting about the door modules for the autofold on the mirrors. But a simple swap of parts and you got it working and upgraded.
Well you put in a full day and enjoy your beer and Hot Tub time. That will be a nice finish to the day.

Regards,

Lisa

·
'Silkie Growler'
230 Posts
Hi Guys .................

OK, well here it is, the update from all works done over the holiday period, in between all the food, drink, festivities and family stuff ;)

So firstly I built the large door and gave it 3 good thick coats of Cuprinol to stop the weather attacking the 19mm Exterior ply, then did exactly the same for the small door.
Once I got them hung, (all on my own as usual, jeez that big door is heavy, 2.4 M long and not far off 2.3m high) :eek:

Compared to the nice "Rustic" appearance of the outside, the Doors look a bit stark, and as I have loads of 2m + offcuts of 2" x 2" 's eventually I will rip them to 2" x 3/8" pieces to trim the outside of the doors so they mirror the inner framework shape, I think that will make it look a little less stark on the Front Elevation ;)

My suspicions were confirmed, the uneven land in front of the Doors which also sloped up hill in unison with my driveway would need quite a bit of digging out and levelling before I could fully open the doors :(
Had to do the digging by hand with spade and shovel, and that day it was absolutely hammering down with rain, the only upside was it softened up the ground a lot ;0

I also trimmed a few bits of trees, and right now it is dug out a little too much in some places, and although the Doors now open properly without touching anywhere, there is still a small hump in front of the large Door, which I am going to level off when time permits :)

I will source a trailer load of smaller black chips to final level it all and prevent puddles ;)
As it is now, Doors open and fix back open properly and my 2 Cars can be driven back in later today after I've tidied up inside, ready for the onslaught of paying work that is already here / more arriving tomorrow ;)

Doors and Landscaping ........

Regarding puddles I also finished the front edges with matching Sarking Board Cladding, including the Fascia Board across the Timber Lintel, and then fixed up the Guttering and Down-pipe which has stopped all the rainwater from the Roof ending up in front of the Garage. Added the Door Hook Backs too .........

Timber wise there isn't too much left to do, the South Wall upper Eaves "triangle" is left to do (about 5 Sarking Boards), but that is still sealed up fine with the Poly Sheet :)
Some 2" x 2" 's to fix up each of the 4 corner posts, which will neaten and seal up the gaps in the Sarking Board cladding here .............

On to the Electrics, second fix on Ring Main, (clipping and pulling in all the Cables and making off Wiring ends) .............

And the Ring Main final fix, , Wiring and Fixing Sockets, then hooking it all in to the Dist. Board, all now tested working :) ..............

And finally (for now), the first part of the Heating Circuit, the first one of up to four Fused Spurs fixed Wired and working, the wee 2kw Heater is keeping the chill off despite no insulation and all the draughts from the gaps here and there that are yet to be filled in / finished ............

There will be at least 1 maybe up to 3 more of these Heaters, when I have insulated and clad the inside so I can get a good stable 40 + deg C temperature for when I eventually start using it as a Paint Booth :D

Off out now to tidy it all out, and get my Cars back in there, a small upgrade to do on the S Class whilst the SDS is on the bench and the car is in the Workshop, then I've just got to test the Mazda IDS Diag Machine I also built over the holidays, before using it in anger tomorrow on a troublesome CDI Diesel Mazda that's been here since pre Christmas ;)

"That's all folks" , cue the music .............

:)
Jobs a good'un Dave. I guess you will be putting in some means of keeping the doors tethered - that big one is like a huge sail.
As for the 'stark' appearance of the doors, I quite like the contrast with the cladding - quite 'architecchy'.
I’m seconding the question of matching the doors to the walls, but from a weight perspective.
Still pretty stunned by your industriousness and skill.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
matching the doors to the walls,
Hi,

:eek: I'm not going to Clad the Doors outsides with Sarking Boards even though the big Galvanised Hinges and Framework would likely take the (significant) extra weight ;)

What I am going to do is use "rough sawn" 2" x 3/8" inch Timber all around the edges and across the centre lines, to "mirror image" (ish) the "Z" look, similar to the way the internal 4" x 2" Door Frames look ;)

I'm not sure if that makes it clearer what I intend doing or not lol just think of a 2" thick picture frame around the 2 Doors with a horizontal centre bar and 2 diagonals ;)

I can't imagine that the little extra weight from, (big door), roughly 14m of 49mm x 10mm rough sawn wood and a few screws will actually add much in terms of %age of weight to either of the Doors ;)
The small door will use roughly 9.5m of rough sawn same w x d

Once our weather breaks the whole lot will be getting 3 coats of the same Brown Cuprinol ;)

Chow for now,

61 - 73 of 73 Posts