Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been busy >:D ............

6m x 4.8m Double Garage for my W220 and R170 .................

It's having a 2600mm wide 2135mm Drive under height Electric Roller Shutter Door, the base was already done and has Water, Electricity and Sewer Drainage.

I'm building it in a Modular style so I can extend it as / when we get the chunk of land behind all filled in :grin:

That 8 Car 4 lift Workshop may become reality some day >:D

Next up build a Roof Truss then order more timber to build the rest of them

Cheers for now, Dave

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi again,

A customer didn't turn up today, so as it was raining this morning I finished my Electronics / EEPROMMING Bench, added the Regulated Power Supply Unit, Shelf and the Bins, (yep, they are screwed down) lol

Drying up outside so I might get the first Roof Truss done later today.

Also I finished the Cluster for my R170 V8 Project Car added the Logo's and reassembled it >:D

Cheers for now, Dave

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, Just a quick update at close of play today ...............

More Timber Turned up last Thursday, but been mental busy with Customers Work, including 3 all at once of those horrible VAG products bleh !!

So Sunday in the rain I got the Joist Hangers and Joists cut and fixed up to support the Roof Trusses, and make a wee overhead storage loft for small stuff, like Lamps, Trim Panels, Plastic Body parts etc eventually, all lightweight stuff just to keep it outta my way and utilise the space.

Today, waiting on parts for a job so have been out there most of the day cutting Roof Truss Timber and then assembling them all, they are now all ready to go up, busy next 2 days but might get back to it Friday :)

Once the trusses are up I will be Poly Sheeting the whole exterior of the Carcass, then I have water tight shelter to order all the plywood for the Roof, and Roofing Felt :) Once the Roof is felted it really will take shape, as I can work in the dry every bit of spare time, I can't wait to get this finished, should have done it years ago, but long Family illnesses, living out of suitcases etc etc all got in the way for the last 5 years :wink:

Couple of piccies of progress :-

Joists Up ....

And todays efforts, all Timber cut to size and correct angles, the forward (large Trusses) are built, the rear trusses right angles are built, will put the actual Roof timbers on once they are up as these short ones are designed to be bolted together and so un-bolted if I want to "Go Large and High" by extending rearwards later down the line when the land infill is completed and levelled :grin:

Apologies for [email protected] pic quality, it was getting dark at 5 pm when I was packing up ....

More soon,

Cheers for now, Dave

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol Myk @Avel Du ,

Those Forward end Trusses are "B" heavy and awkward, but I got that Left Hand Truss up there and positioned, levelled and final fixed all by myself :wink:

Got to mark all the centre lines first now on the Joists, need perfect 610 centres for the 12mm Ply sheets and dead square, saves on cutting and waste ;)

Off in now for a couple Beers and soak my aching back in the Hot Tub >:D

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Felt or EPDM Dave?
Up here in our rather windy, wet and salty environment I have found that 12mm Ply and good well Galvy Nailed Mineral Felt works well, existing Workshop roof has been up 12 years now, and no signs of deterioration or leaks yet :wink:

Golf Exhaust to fit in a minute, then take it for an MOT at 3pm, might get a bit more done on the building before leaving at 14:30 if I get my finger out lol

Cheers Dave

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Up here in our rather windy, wet and salty environment I have found that 12mm Ply and good well Galvy Nailed Mineral Felt works well, existing Workshop roof has been up 12 years now, and no signs of deterioration or leaks yet :wink:

Golf Exhaust to fit in a minute, then take it for an MOT at 3pm, might get a bit more done on the building before leaving at 14:30 if I get my finger out lol

Cheers Dave
If it works, stick with it Dave:tu:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,

A bit more done over the last couple of days in between jobs, all the long heavy 4.7m Trusses are up and fixed at each end, levelled and perfect 610mm Centres.

It's been light rain on and off all day, but I managed to get these done, was going to go back out and first fix the short rear trusses after late lunch right now, but it is now peeeeeeeeeeeeeing down pissistantly, so I'm packing up for the day, go in, get changed and then Pub for an hour + Curry ...............

Mmmmmmmmmmm .................

Mixed Bhuna Vindaloo Hot, with Mushroom Rice, Bombay Tatties and Sag Poneer me thinks ......... Yummy !!

Hopefully I'll get a better day tomorrow weather wise, finish the Rear Trusses and get the Poly Sheet all stapled on, then I can order the Ply and Roofing felt and store the ply in the dry, plus work under that without getting wet electric tools etc.

Cheers for now, Dave

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol ..........

TMI "incoming" lol ...........

Beer and Vindaloo Curry was awesome, bum not so awesome this morning >:D >:D >:D

What was that Johnny Cash song ..........

Oh yeah, "Burning Ring Of Fire" :grin:

Back at the roof in a while .............

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Quick update ................

Got wet again yesterday, but not too bad, only a few showers !!

All Rear Trusses final fixed at each end, except the 2 nearest the Camera, they are just nipped on 2 screws each, got to come down and cut the Angles on the overhang, but it was getting too dark at 4.45 pm last night, so that's first job in a short while :wink:

Talking of early evenings and "Heilan darkness", something I learned when building my Workshop many moons ago ................

Yesterday I ordered 6 off Double Fluorescent 5ft Battens with Tubes, (proper Fluorescent none of that LED tosh :( ), plus 10 Metal Clad Double Sockets, 1 double Metal Clad Switch for lights, and a 10 way 2x RCD Consumer Unit plus conduit and wiring consumables.

Once the Roof is water tight, get the Lights and at least a few Double Sockets 'sparked up', then I can work later into the evening to get the building finished and not have to keep running out extension cables, putting them away etc etc :)

So far excluding the already done Ground-works / Services on plot, I've spent just under a £1000 :)

After cutting those last 2 truss Angles in a short while, Today's Target will be cutting and installing Dwangs and Noggins to get the spacing mid the long forward Trusses bob on my 610mm, and final fix the Trusses to the rest of the Joists.

Update later today :smile:

Cheers for now, Dave

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
OK, update this morning instead lol ,

It was a good day yesterday, chilly but sunny most of the day :smile:
Last 2 roof trusses finished and final fixed, all 18 Noggins done, and 6 out of 9 Dwangs finished, 6 long forward trusses now centred at 610mm and final fixed to their centre joist :)

Dwangs .............

Noggins .............

I ran out of daylight and need to go get one more length of 4X2 and more screws this morning to finish 3 Dwangs.

Ordered 3 rolls of 10m x 1m "Rhino" Mineral Felt, (25 year +), very good felt for sh!te weather, I have one roll left from Workshop extension a while back so will have about a half roll left :)

Ordering the 12mm Ply this morning, and going local, (well 50 mile round trip to Broadford IOS), for the single 4X2 and a couple boxes screws for ply when it arrives, and finish other joist fixings to trusses, build pedestrian door etc ..............

Will be ready to Poly Sheet later today, but today is very windy, really need dead calm day for that job, otherwise it all disappears across Loch Duich like a big Parachute and never to be seen again ..............

Do not ask how I learned that in just a mild breeze a few years back :grin:

I'll likely fire up the welder and knock up a hefty metal stand and roller later to hold the roll of poly as I'll be doing it on my own as usual lol

Cheers for now, Dave

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I think you and the Sarge are cut from the same material. You embarrass the rest of us with your industriousness. I’m pleased that I get up in the morning and make me and the puppy a cuppa of mocha.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hi,

OK, the Roof is now watertight having spent around 6 hours yesterday wrestling with Poly Sheet ......................

This stuff is 4m wide when off the roll and folded out. It is very thick, and doing it on ones own is a real Bear of a job.

Trying to stretch it and staple it was some effort, but thankfully it was a sunny day yesterday with not a hint of a breeze, so although I'm very achy today, I have now reached the next level.

The tighter you get it the less chance it will flap and tear if the wind gets up, which it does quite regularly where we are it can get quite wild ;)

Pedestrian Door is now started, well it's framework, that will be covered in ply too.

Ply is ordered, 12 off 12mm x 2440mm x 1220mm, Roof Felt should be here any day now but Ply might not get here this week, uncertain delivery, but if it does at least it won't get wet stood under the Poly Sheeted roof now.

I was gonna do the Sides with Poly too, but tbh, I think that will be more hassle than it's worth, better to get the Roof finished and then decide which way I'm going with Cladding ..........

Will either be 9mm hard wood ply for speed, but takes a lot of maintenance up here, or take a lot longer but use 18mm Sarking Boards with stepped edges ................. Jurys out atm :wink:

Fluorecscents arrived Today, so if no Ply by end of the week I'll get the lights up and Wired.

Stuff arriving on a daily basis now, hoping the 2000 odd 12mm staples will hold that Poly until Ply arrives lol

I don't want no Hurricanes right now lol :surprise:

Cheers for now, Dave

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi just a quick update ............

Poly sheet is still up, holding well, we have had a couple of fairly windy nights :wink:

Roof is now here in Kit form, can't get on it today due to work, but might get a bit done tomorrow.

Life stuff going on Saturday mid afternoon, but weather permitting it would be good to get the Roof final fixed and done this weekend :)

There is one more full Felt roll in storage shed, they are 10m x 1m so should be 2.5 rolls for Front and 1 for the Rear section, couple of half rolls in the shed if needed, perhaps to double cap over the Ridge :)

Most of the Electrical items are here now, enough to get the Lighting done immediately, waiting on Conduit items and Sockets / Fused Spurs to get the final fix of Power and Heating Circuits sparked up :)

I'm guessing I'm around £1800 now, still got Main Roller Shutter Door and Exterior Wall Cladding to buy, then worry about Insulation and Interior wall Cladding later on, probably in the new year, interior will likely be done with 25mm Kingspan and 6mm Ply ;) ................

Remember this is gonna double up as a nice clean Paint Booth eventually :D

Cheers for now, Dave

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi,

A small update,

This is not going well .............

Some idiot at the Timber Merchants supplied me the wrong size Ply Sheets for the roof, 1200 x 2400 instead of the 1220 x 2440 that I asked for, also I think the darned stuff was made in China junk :(

I did not realise this until Saturday when I went to put it up, at which point I realised that with my 610 Truss Centres, by the time I got to half way I would not meet the trusses with the sheets, the only way to get it up there was to leave a 12mm gap in the middle of each truss, until the last sheet, so I end up with 2 trusses with these gaps, and had to go to Broadford Monday to get some 12mm thick Wood and rip it down to fill the gaps, couldn't get the felt on Saturday, which I would have done had I had the correct Ply size :(

The upshot is on Saturday night it rained for the night, plus whole of Sunday and Monday, I managed to fill the gaps Monday, getting soaked in the process, but the ply was starting to warp badly ..................

I finally got a dry spell yesterday, and managed to get more dwangs in under the ply on the front section (8 ply Sheets total), and working into the darkness last night I got the whole of that Felted, and over the Ridge with a temporary piece of felt, so hopefully I've saved those 8 sheets, looks pretty good, and I'm hoping it should totally dry out through the underside of the sheets.

There are 4 sheets on the shorter back section, one of which is badly de laminating, so I may have to replace that one gonna try flipping it over and adding dwangs first later today if the rain holds off !!

The other thing that happened was one of the Felt rolls came up slightly short, so I only got one 5m Run out of it, got to do the 50 mile trek to Broadford later to get another felt roll :crying:

This weather is really coming in bad now, I have absolutely got to get this roof finished ASAP, and to cap it all some "New" Customer had his heap of a 2012 Transit Connect in here yesterday to diagnose no Right Indicators, so I spent the initial "Diagnostic Hour" on it, which is what was arranged with this guy, but I found it has a dead short on the Bulb Wiring, somewhere in a Van which is so full of tools and other junk when I opened a back door it all started to fall out !!

He was away all day, and when I finally got hold of him last night he started getting all "aggro" about how he thought his Van would be fixed, he's an incomer to this area ..................
He has already been to a load of other Garages who wanted to change Body Module etc and didn't have a clue :(
So I politely told him I cannot put a time frame on it, I simply have to work on it to find the Wiring Short, and so need it clearing out first in order to strip out Panelling / Trim etc !!

I told him to come in this morning and I'll explain further.

I think unless his attitude has changed over night, he will get the "listen up good speech", and told "You owe me nothing, go forth and multiply to the Ford Dealership in Inverness !!

Never had to do it yet, but I do pick and choose my Customers when I get the odd one who I think will be a "rucker" which I think this guy could well be ................
Thankfully my other customers are all very very good, indeed I have to chase some of them to actually come and get their Cars because I need the space lol

So hope I can get the rest of this roof Felted ASAP, because the Snow is on it's way now too .................

Update soon ;)

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi again,

Update ......................

Every other Builders Merchant sells 1220 x 2440, I changed Builders Merchant's because the other, our local one, is a lot dearer, this makes me an IDIOT, especially as time is of the essence with this one, I started it about 6 weeks later than I should :( ......................

We all know I should know better, every time I try and save money it costs me more in time and money :rolleyes:
Despite what the local Builders say, I also don't think the Wood is even as good, I'd say it is worse quality !!

The upshot was that on a 50mm wide at 610mm centres Stud, and as they were running 1220 width side across the Studs, (total of 4600 across plus 50mm overhang each side), I had to leave a gap of 10mm at the first, 3rd and 5th studs, then couldn't Felt until Monday when I got some 12mm thick wood to rip and fill the Gaps !!
The 7th out of 9 total Truss Studs was ok to butt them up as the final one was under the 610 spacing of all the others.

Had this been a wider roof I would not have attempted it, but that would have meant a weeks delay, as this outfit only deliver here on a Thursday :mad:

I will be using my local "Jewsons" for the rest of this build and any future stuff, as I always have done !!

Front half appears to be drying and settling down now, as that is felted now, hoping it will be dry Today, so I can get the smaller rear section of Roof fitted with additional Dwangs to straighten it out and support it better and final Felted, once I get to that stage it will be a whole lot easier.

I'm going to use the rest of the Poly Sheet around the sides now and then I can clad the outside almost "at my leisure" Cars can go inside, hopefully before the Snow hits ;)

I am praying that the weather stays dry and Snow free until after the weekend, so I will not be on here much during the daylight hours, roughly 9am to 4:30 pm GMT right now, but getting shorter by the day :frown:
The Snow is rapidly creeping down the Mountains now with very hard frosts each morning :surprise:

I had to keep stopping yesterday as I was nearing "Frostbite Fingers", even with light Gloves on, and trying to bash in Felt Tacks with thicker Gloves is almost impossible, very slow process :crying:
The top Ridge Felt is just temporary with a few Tacks to stop overnight Rainwater getting down the Front half :wink:

The Bottom 300mm or so has got to be cut off the Rear Section sheets today, and then add the Dwangs to level 'em up, before hopefully firing on the rest of the Felt and Capping the Ridge correctly :smile:

Lets see what Today either chucks at me or gifts me :wink:

Cheers for now, Dave

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi,

Today has smiled on me, thankfully I'm back in the game with a decent update :)

Stress is now removed .....................

The Roof is now all Felted, just still got the temporary Ridge Cap Sheet on, if it's a nice day again tomorrow I will get that finished and add some more Felt nails to the rear section, it only has bare minimum in it right now, ran out of daylight about 4:45 today, then cleared up in the Dark ......................

The good news is the darned thing is Waterproof now, just needs some finishing touches, (mainly a load more Tacks), to stop High Wind damage, hopefully we won't be having a hefty Storm in the next day or so.
Tomorrows job is to get the last Dwangs done across the Ridge before putting the final Felt Cap Sheet over that, and bashing in more Tacks, then the Roof will be totally finished :)

It is surprising how well the wet Ply has dried out and recovered with the Sun on it today, it is pretty straight and very solid now I've added the Dwangs to the lower ends :)

After tomorrow I will start getting Lighting and Sockets wired, hopefully have at least Lights this weekend, then I can be working in their after dark ...............
That is always the major milestone up here when building something ..............

My rule is once the Roof is water tight "Spark it up with the Electricity" ;)

If the Weather comes in real bad I'll just poly sheet the sides and get the Cars in there, can add the cladding to the sides a little at a time as weather permits, same with the Insulation and fitting it out inside :D

Kneeling on wet Felt and Ply almost all day has made my Knees and other joints very painful, (Arthritis), so tonight is off to the Hot Tub with a few Coronas :grin:

Pixels in the Morning when it's light !!

Chow for now,

Cheers Dave

·
Super Moderator
24,165 Posts
'incomer' :| with my lot it is 'mainlander' :D

'I should have know better'

Now that will be on my grave stone regardless of how I land there.

But you have progress and that is a very good thing indeed.

Good luck with the weather.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts