Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone Scrooge here,
Its been quite a while since I have been in touch, but I must say that I have missed checking in on your forum. About two years ago I was in the market for a 2 seater as this would allow me to drive across the bay bridge in S.F. during commute hours for free and non stop. I found a 2005 Audi TT 6/cyl roadster for a price I could not refuse. It has worked out great and we love driving with the top down! While we really enjoy the car, it is not what we really wanted, which was the SLK. I can also tell you that this forum is very special in that it is a very active, and feels like a family. Hopefully our next roadster will be the SLK. We use our T.T. as our primary car and have put quite a few miles on it in a short time. When we purchased the car it had 25000 miles and now sits at 75000. The reason I am writing this though is to ask what everyone thinks of the new look coming in 2011 for the new SLK. If the sneak pictures and renderings are correct, it will be quite different. The F1 nose will be gone and overall has more round proportions. They said the engine will be a turbocharged 4/cyl and the AMG version will be a turbocharged 6/cyl with about the same horsepower as the current AMG. Has anyone seen these pictures and what do you think?
Take care,
Scrooge

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,223 Posts
scrooge, welcome back!

as far as the new model, it is anyone's guess what it will look like. i will miss the f1 nose.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:Hi and welcome back. I also contemplated a Audi TT for several years. I really liked the look of the coupe but really wanted the convertible. I drove a new 2004 yellow vert and really wasn't impressed. I liked the look of the TT but it was the hardtop convertible and the classy look of the SLK that finalized my decision. We all eagerly await the R172 and only hope the final design is a big hit.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Welcome from Atlanta! I've driven both a TT and a 55 and hands down loved the 55. You can check the new section we have on R172 which is designated for the new generation. The F1 nose is projected to change more in line with the current 'generation' MB, but I personally prefer the F1 nose.

Let us know if we can help you in any way!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
..... a 2 seater as this would allow me to drive across the bay bridge in S.F. during commute hours for free and non stop. .....
I did not know this.

Just to clarify: one can drive into San Francisco across the Bay Bridge (from Oakland area into San Francisco) in a 2-seater during rush hour and it's fee-free? No need for fast-track? How about into SF via the Golden Gate bridge?

Personally, I need to see the actual car to voice my opinion…
I am of the same opinion.

Right now, it is just at best an educated guess on the appearance, engine and drive train. I think it will retain at least the M272 3.5 liter engine but unsure about the AMG version.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Crossing the Bay Bridge

Scrooge here,
Yes etyu, if you drive a 2 seat car with two people in the car, a sedan with 3 people in it, a motorcycle or finally a Hybrid car with the proper sticker purchased from the state (they are no longer available) then you can drive across the bridge for free and you do not stop. This does not hold true for the G.G. bridge. I must tell you this has saved me many hours in commute traffic. Ever since the demise of the Dot Com and after 9/11,the traffic has never been the same. I have commuted for around 30 years and there was a time when it took 1 1/2 hours to travel to S.F. Now on most days, even not taking advantage of the commute lane, I can normally make it to work in around 50 to 60 minutes. With our roadster we leave about a half an hour later and get to work at the same time.It really is great and has made my commute almost fun. On a really bad traffic snarled day ,this advantage has saved me at least an hour in my commute. I wish I had done this years ago!
Anyway hope that answers your question.
Take care,
Scrooge

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.