Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who said Electric cars were Boring . :grin:

Automobili Pininfarina confirms its forthcoming, all-electric PF0 hypercar will have a power output of 1,900bhp

Developed in tandem with the Croatian manufacturer, Rimac, Automobili Pininfarina’s latest venture is aiming for a staggering performance benchmark. 0-62mph is estimated to take less than two seconds, with 0-186mph dispatched in under 12 seconds. A top speed of between 217mph and 250mph is anticipated, but Pininfarina is yet to confirm a final figure.

The PF0’s performance will come courtesy of four electric motors (one for each wheel), generating a combined output of 1,900bhp and 2,300Nm of torque.

To provide a bit of context to these rather baffling figures, that’s around 420bhp and 700Nm more than a Bugatti Chiron. So, it should be pretty brisk, even by hypercar standards.

Range shouldn’t be too much of an issue, either. The Pininfarina PF0’s battery will be 25 per cent larger than the one used by the Tesla Model S P100D, promising more than 300 miles of driving. Pininfarina also states that the PF0 will recharge from empty to 80 per cent capacity in 25-40 minutes using an IONITY fast charger.

Limited to 150 models and priced at around £2 million, the Pininfarina PF0 has a body and chassis built from carbon fibre to offset the weight of the batteries. An active rear wing is also planned to increase downforce and aid braking. The Italian manufacturer is planning to fit the PF0 with bespoke Pirelli P Zero tyres.

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
Almost 500hp a corner and 250mph. Who is going to supply the tyres? Given that it's down force that's going to provide the grip, at speeds less than 70mph I doubt you would be able to put much of that power down - unless it weighs in like a truck that is! Still I bet it looks pretty, a great poster for a teenagers wall and I will definitely buy one next time I have a couple of million burning a hole in my pocket :)

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Almost 500hp a corner and 250mph. Who is going to supply the tyres? Given that it's down force that's going to provide the grip, at speeds less than 70mph I doubt you would be able to put much of that power down - unless it weighs in like a truck that is! Still I bet it looks pretty, a great poster for a teenagers wall and I will definitely buy one next time I have a couple of million burning a hole in my pocket :)
Bespoke Pirelli P Zero Tyres

I have them on my SLK :grin:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Bespoke Pirelli P Zero Tyres

I have them on my SLK :grin:
They could chance their arm and use these possibly - the 1900 HP could still pose a problem!!!
Tyres for the Bugatti Veyron
The Bugatti Veyron is a designed and developed by Volkswagen and is capable of sustaining speeds of 406km/h (250mph in English). For a high-speed machine such as this one, only Michelin can work that magic. Michelin Pilot Sport PAX (run flat) 245/690 R520 tyres in the front and 365/710 R540 rear tyres grace the Bugatti Veyron majestically.

These tyres cost $10,000 each - I bet they wear out quick too :frown: Still best to just get the poster I think :smile:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Most cars like this never are used to their full potential. I have time on tracks with different cars and most people could not even handle a Toyota Camry when pushed to the max. Basically the high end car industry is starting to turn into a pissing match with 0-60 times, top speed, ect. McLaren came out with the F1. Held the record for many years then along came Bugatti. Everyone else starting chasing that. Tesla keeps talking 0-60. Bugatti keeps talking top speed. I said this long ago but performance numbers are not going to be impressive for much longer. Between tuners like Hennesey and Underground Racing, Hypercars like Bugatti and EV like the P100D almost any car now a days can be fast or quick.

·
Registered
92 Posts
They could chance their arm and use these possibly - the 1900 HP could still pose a problem!!!
Tyres for the Bugatti Veyron
The Bugatti Veyron is a designed and developed by Volkswagen and is capable of sustaining speeds of 406km/h (250mph in English). For a high-speed machine such as this one, only Michelin can work that magic. Michelin Pilot Sport PAX (run flat) 245/690 R520 tyres in the front and 365/710 R540 rear tyres grace the Bugatti Veyron majestically.

These tyres cost $10,000 each - I bet they wear out quick too :frown: Still best to just get the poster I think :smile:

$42,000 for tires. They last for about 50min when used at top speed. Bugatti says to change them almost every 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
81 Posts
At least THIS electric car has the range for me to do my 120 mile per day work commute, unlike many others!

However, I'll keep my '02 prius, bought used last year for $2,650 with 170K miles on it. It now has 200K miles and still going strong. It paid for itself in 10 months from the gas savings over driving the Tundra to work and back.

And it was $1,997,350 cheaper than the supercar!

While my cool factor is non-existant driving to work in the prius, my cool factor on the weekends blasting around the Sierra Nevada Range in my AMG 55 makes up for it !! :)

·
Super Moderator
24,249 Posts
Still think they are somewhat boring.

Technically interesting.
Though my 5 mins fill for fuel wipes the floor with it.

I enjoy the feel and sound of the V8, even whilst sitting at lights.
They just don't deliver that feeling.

When any V starts up, folks notice.

Wonder if one has ever parked at Tesco.
Get enough interest with an SLK (any SLK/C).

Green means electric, allegedly.
So save weight, drop top speed and reduce battery weight.

These limit release cars are supposed to wow us & get us thinking electric.
They'll be forcing smart meters on us next.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Still think they are somewhat boring.

Technically interesting.
Though my 5 mins fill for fuel wipes the floor with it.

I enjoy the feel and sound of the V8, even whilst sitting at lights.
They just don't deliver that feeling.

When any V starts up, folks notice.

Wonder if one has ever parked at Tesco.
Get enough interest with an SLK (any SLK/C).

Green means electric, allegedly.
So save weight, drop top speed and reduce battery weight.

These limit release cars are supposed to wow us & get us thinking electric.
They'll be forcing smart meters on us next.

The Tesla P100D I drove had crazy 0-60 times much faster then any ICE car I will ever own or most people. However after a couple launches the car became a one trick pony to me. I was ok its quick. Has tons of tech. And that is where it ends. It is not good looking or well made that is for sure.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My major concern with Tesla, or any other "one off" car: Parts availability over the next ten years...15 years...at any price. No matter the answer, if a tech company is the source, the lack of product inertia in the tech industry makes any assumptions re long term parts supply chain a joke.

One trick pony, indeed. Buy it, wow your friends, drive it, it breaks, turn it into a planter...that is what my wife would do with it once it bricks.

Just my opinion, and you know what that is worth.

Slightly off topic:

I just had some tires installed on my 06 55 at the local MB dealer today...actually had a great price on Contis......I had several MB employees approach me and talk about the AMG 55. They were amazed at the condition and several mentioned the bullet proof motor. "Don't ever sell it", "Keep it well maintained and it will last" were two of the recurring themes in these conversations. I thought it was the best car on the entire lot, as it was the only one with an F1 front end ;-) This experience helped me better appreciate the awesomeness of my 55! The SLCs would be great if that is all I could get....but they aren't! Oh, ok, the AMG GTR was pretty bad a** too...though it looked a lot like a Viper...but OMG did it sound amazing.

You could get 13 GTRs for $2M. ..... Sheesh....

·
Super Moderator
24,249 Posts
Totally get what you mean re parts.

But, having tried to get an audio lead for the 350 (2009) last year...
MB no longer stock that lead for a 9 year old car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I hear you, Avel. MB is definitely not the "best of the best" in this regard as well. However, last month I was able to buy C Pillar exterior panels, fog lights, a rear main seal, OEM hood struts, lower control arm bushings, transmission and engine mounts, and other maintenance parts. Next, I am able to get a front windshield and I know the power steering pump is available, should I choose to replace it. So, I am not stymied so far in trying to acquire critical components.

Note the "so far". My intent is for this car to last at least ten years, and I am getting all these parts and work accomplished NOW because I know that in, say, 7 years I might not enjoy the parts supply chain available now. If I bring it back to "perfect" now, or a reasonable facsimile thereof, I will have max probability of getting it to ten years. The car would be 22 years old then, and will go on a pedestal in a glass case in my living room at that point. Haven't discussed this with my wife yet, but I am sure it will be no problem :cool:

As the second owner, I am fortunate in that I have all the receipts of the first owner, so I know what maintenance he chose to do, and what he declined. I therefore have a 12 year picture of the reliability record of this car, which helps to project future reliability. (yeah, I know, "past performance is no guarantee of future returns", but at least I have a nominal baseline :) )

At the 100k foot level, as an avid motorcyclist since I was 5, I have been spoiled my entire life by the Japanese motorcycle industry and their parts interchangeability and supply chain running back to the 60s! Hard to beat that!

I see you have a 78 400F, the bike with the most beautiful exhaust pipes ever made, so you must have the same appreciation! :grin:

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Mercedes stock parts for i think circa 12 years maybe less ?
But already some parts for Slk 171 are no longer or available or on back order with no confirm date of arrival .

So Tesla will be exactly the same as Mercedes for parts situ in the years ahead only Advantage for buying a Tesla they would have less parts fitted than a Mercedes Benz .

So less parts to find when they go wrong or need replacing .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts