Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YES YES YES YES

I kept saying out loud as I took this stretch at full throttle. R)

Super twisty, with 180 degree turns, like a switchback.

Up and down waviness galore, I was fearing the car would fly.

Best of all, no cops... cause it's not a main road!

And it's 10 minutes away from another great drive in which you can just go full throttle without fear. :burnout:

This is a roughly 2 mile road, out and back, to a firing range in the middle of the San Gabriels: http://tinyurl.com/yjzawhq

It was an AMAZING drive all together! The second road I mention is Shoemaker Canyon Rd, just to the east (also out and back, so on the way back you know there's nobody hiding behind a rock with a radar).

My loop was: San Gabriel Canyon Rd (rt 39) to East fork Rd, to Glendora Mountain road, to Glendora Ridge Road, to Mt Baldy Road.

Crossed two cops on my drive, but I was lucky and one was going the other way, and the other had stopped to tricked out old civics :biglaugh:

Saw a few convertibles on Glendora Ridge Road, including an Elise. Warned the guy about the cops down the road. :rockon:

If you live anywhere near, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this drive, BUT know that:

San Gabriel Canyon Road is trafficky... not a lot of cars but no passing allowed and everyone goes 10 mhp below the speed limit. Still a nice drive.

Glendora Ridge Road is a two-way road, but there's no dividing line and it's TIGHT, so drive CAREFULLY. If you can't see behind a curve, don't overdo it.

Mt Baldy Rd is also trafficky but it's short. There's two mini-tunnels in which you can hear the beautiful sound of your engine.

The best sections were (in order): Firing range road, Shoemaker Canyon road, Glendora Mountain Road (just AMAZING).

I'm still pumped. After coming back I washed the car as a "thank you" :biglaugh:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Nice find!

We should really try to do the Angeles Crest and Tujunga Canyon drive this summer. We could probably hit that on the route. :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
Looks like a fun loop, especially if there is little or no traffic.

TSlick, thanks for the Vid. Is it your car following the CLK55 and filming? The CLK55 never pulls away from the filming car.

·
Registered
659 Posts
My buddy here at work takes that loop almost every weekend in his vette. Although he gets on it via Angeles Crest. He likes to find motorcycles to play with. Says there is hardly ever cops.
I'm game for a loop through there. Maybe we can make a "run/lunch" out of it.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
TSlick, thanks for the Vid. Is it your car following the CLK55 and filming? The CLK55 never pulls away from the filming car.
Yep.... here's some more video http://www.slkworld.com/slk-videos/5655-r170-fun.html

By the way, Hwy 39 has been shut down for 10 years between Hwy 2 and a few miles north of East Fork. There's no plan to reopen the link between Angeles Crest and Azusa/Glendora.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
843 Posts
My buddy here at work takes that loop almost every weekend in his vette. Although he gets on it via Angeles Crest. He likes to find motorcycles to play with. Says there is hardly ever cops.
I'm game for a loop through there. Maybe we can make a "run/lunch" out of it.
Definitely up for doing this almost any upcoming weekend (other than our April 10th drive day). Even if it is just a handful of SLK's (or SLK owner's other cars) sounds like fun to me.

·
Registered
659 Posts
By the way, Hwy 39 has been shut down for 10 years between Hwy 2 and a few miles north of East Fork. There's no plan to reopen the link between Angeles Crest and Azusa/Glendora.
ya, my bad. I just asked him. Said he goes by there (I thought he told me he went through it) and blasts the crest.

We still could head up there.. lunch up there or take 2 up to Lake Elisabeth and hit the The Rock Store (not the one in Topanga)

edit: think it's actually called The Rock Inn
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=rock+store+Lake+Elizabeth&vps=2&sll=34.674962,-118.440066&sspn=0.001998,0.002878&ie=UTF8&split=1&filter=0&rq=1&mpnum=1000&ev=p&radius=0.08&hq=rock+store+Lake+Elizabeth&hnear=

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, Angels Crest Hwy has been closed since January because of a) winter b) storm damage (http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi)
I'm always monitoring the status as I'm eager to drive on it again (and it's basically in my back yard).
So far I've only explored the roads listed here, but I've seen some that look nice in the map, around where the 15 meets the 138. Any word on those?

I'm up for it any coming weekend btw, just say when (except, of course the 10th).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts