Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ESP/BAS error light on my instrument cluster had been on since I purchased the car two weeks ago. Additionally, ESP could not be disabled via the rocker switch. I had scoured the threads and found several plausible causes and multiples fixes to the problem. None of them worked.

So last weekend I installed a new HU in the car. BTW, it came out nicely, I now have iPod and Bluetooth support (though speakerphone at 110mph with the top down doesn't work so well). During the course of the installation, I removed the center console. In doing so, I disconnected the wiring to the toggle switch bank. After reassembly, I took my baby for a test drive/sound check.

Guess what. No more ESP/BAS error light. I can now switch ESP off and destroy my rear tires. I've been a "screw-it-yourselfer" for 40+ years. I can't count the number of times that I've taken apart a "broken" device, put it back together and made it work! Maybe it's somewhat like cold-booting a computer. Or maybe my ESP just wanted a new stereo!!!

PS, It goes without saying that the secret of this repair technique must be guarded at all costs.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,078 Posts
Great job!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
disconnect your battery and reconnect. the esp/bas light will now be on. turn the steering wheel lock to lock then back to center. the light will go out. this sets the parameters for the traction control and the esp/ bas

we should get together this summer at steele al raceway for fri nite races!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
disconnect your battery and reconnect. the esp/bas light will now be on. turn the steering wheel lock to lock then back to center. the light will go out. this sets the parameters for the traction control and the esp/ bas

we should get together this summer at steele al raceway for fri nite races!
That's one of the techniques I tried that didn't work. There may have been a little oxidization around the connectors and when I unplugged and re-plugged them, it made a better connection. All I know is, the error light's off and ESP can be turned on and off at will.

We should definitely have a drive in somewhere in the Smokies. Great country for a SLK!:tu:

·
Registered
604 Posts
go to the crossfireforum.org. great bunch of folks and we spend 4 days in east tn. every yr at the fontana lodge. run the dragon and many other twisty roads around

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.