Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought it might be fun to detail the hunt for my first SLK in a thread as its been a ride.

So far I have traveled the length of the country twice to view a car and the start of my journey is also a story about how a mate lost his referral privileges.

Got a call from a mate whose other mate was selling this car which turned out to be a SLK 200 R171. So I flew to Auckland (for the first time) on the basis of a couple of shaky cell phone pics and his assurances that this car was "mint as bro". It was anything but "mint', to use another kiwi'ism it was "rough as guts" so I politely declined and spent the rest of the weekend at the bar at his place.

About a month later another call I am a bit wary but he swears its a great car and we had a great time on the last weekend so why not.
He wasn't wrong it was one of the most beautiful cars I had ever seen, a 200 grand SLS.
Being a silver-spoon it just didn't occur to him to ask the price.
That is why he lost his referral privileges but it was a great weekend and he insisted on paying me for the flights so no harm no foul.

Since then I have checked and rejected a couple more after sending (more reliable) friends around to check them out.

Presently I am considering these two (images) and I have also engaged the services of an importer to see what else is out there, the hunt continues.

2012 SLK 350 R172 - Data Card = R172350Black
98k KM's
$30k asking price

2007 SLK 55 R171 - Data Card = R17155Black
54k KM's
$36k Asking price

Attachments

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,762 Posts
Poll added...so please vote if you haven't :D

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
The wheels on the R171 has me swooning so I voted for it. Got those rims on mine....

Good luck with the hunt. Your two options are great, and either would work fine.

·
Super Moderator
10,954 Posts
You really do need to drive both and compare.

The specs power wise are a bit better in the 55 but I think if you ask @b82012, he'd say the 350 is all the power he'd ever need. And you may find that out too if you drove both.

AND he's had both (albeit a 2005).

And he doesn't dilly dally on the roads either. Ask me how I know :wink:

Plus the 350 is 5 years newer.

IMO, not knowing you or your car, I'd go with the 350. IF I didn't already have a 55.

Like the old saying goes "Only your hairdresser (you, that is) knows for sure :grin:

EDIT--> you have made NO mention of price, mileage or condition so you do need to include that for others to consider when offering their 2c :tu:

·
Premium Member
2,933 Posts
Hard one having owned both but the other way around (R171 350 & R172 55)
IMHO The 172 feels a lot more modern than the 171 in the cabin with more modern systems.
the 350 is a rapid smooth motor with a lovely soundtrack
the v8 engine is a real torque monster with a great soundtrack. Hard question.
For sheer fun factor the 55 R171 but for more of daily drive the R172 350
I know this doesn’t help you much so I will say try both, if you can, and decide from there.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Hard one having owned both but the other way around (R171 350 & R172 55)
IMHO The 172 feels a lot more modern than the 171 in the cabin with more modern systems.
the 350 is a rapid smooth motor with a lovely soundtrack
the v8 engine is a real torque monster with a great soundtrack. Hard question.
For sheer fun factor the 55 R171 but for more of daily drive the R172 350
I know this doesn’t help you much so I will say try both, if you can, and decide from there.
That’s been my experience as well. I had a 2009 350, and I now have a 2012 55. Of the two of them my preference is the R171 350. Fool that I was, I did not know of that my 55 would turn into the garbage scow that it is. Your mileage may vary. That’s my two pence. :surprise:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha so Jeff has put me on the spot turning this into a poll :)

I added some detail to the cars and the data card for each, if you want other detail just ask.
It is still a long way to go for a test drive especially when I am paying for it this time so I am not sure if I will be making any more trips like that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My preference would be the slk55 but i'm a v8 guy. The 350 is probably a more well balanced car and being so much newer is nice. My guess you have to drive both to see which one fits you better. No wrong decision, both great cars.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My options are dwindling...
The finance has some sort of issue after it was approved so I have no clue what is going on with that till mid-week.

And the R171 55 has been sold or at least removed from the site, sometimes they expire and are returned so maybe not gone for good it its likely that option is off the table.

I am still a bit uncomfortable with the K's on the R172 at 98K for a 30grand car that is a bit much. However right now it is the only viable option.
Buy or wait....

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Remember the saying “what is old is new again “. You will have other opportunities to find the car that you want. The issue here it seems to me, is figuring out what you want.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Remember the saying “what is old is new again “. You will have other opportunities to find the car that you want. The issue here it seems to me, is figuring out what you want.
I want a SLK :wink:
But with that comes a bunch of preferences that I am continually swapping out depending on the very limited availability here.

·
Super Moderator
24,133 Posts
Patience wins colour and model.

Haste can bring a car that makes you smile, with compromise.

Top tip: Pretend you bought one.
The number of times the perfect car appears just after you bought is surprising.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Patience wins colour and model.

Haste can bring a car that makes you smile, with compromise.

Top tip: Pretend you bought one.
The number of times the perfect car appears just after you bought is surprising.
I am always pretending I own one :)
The car site hasn't had any updates to the SLK section in three weeks unless you count removals.

Hopefully I will get some joy from the importers I contacted.
But for any choice right now I might have to consider a SLK 200

I want to make an offer on the R172 350 as soon as I have the money sorted but the K's are still a niggle for me, it ticks all my other boxes.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
If the price is fair for the region, don’t worry so much about the distance traveled. These cars are more sensitive to time that they are miles. Time is the enemy of rubber. Various things that are made of rubber on this car usually are the failure points. I would rather have a three-year-old car with 70,000 miles then a ten-year-old car with 50,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts