Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, as some of you know i've been looking to get back in a 55 and this one had been on my saved list for many months. I thought I'd take a (not so) little 6hr round trip to finally go and have a look. Its the Mystic Blue one at Snippersgate. Some eye candy below!

Here's a few of my S2000 next to it. Excuse the dirt!

I noticed this gap between both headlights. Is this normal or has something not been put back together properly? I didn't think to go and look at the other SLKs there.

I also noticed THIS in the invoices!

And its had bilstein shocks fitted.

And not a smarttop but kinda?

On the test drive the car seemed stiffer than I remember my old one being, probably due to the shocks. I was only given a very short test drive but I also thought the steering didn't seem very tight, but I am used to my S2000 which has very heavy, tight, precise steering feel. There was also a message that ESP was not operational. Ed at the dealer said it had come on before but they cleared it and looks like its come back. There was a steering angle sensor replaced fairly recently and he reckons it was something to do with that.

While I was there I also sat in a black facelift. I still prefer the front end of the facelift and theres a nicer steering wheel and dials inside but the finish and materials all feel identical. I know that there is also an update to the steering system in the facelift - would have been interesting to drive that as well and see the difference but was not given the chance.

I'm glad I went in many ways but i'm just as stumped as before really. I do like the colour and its rare but it is overpriced in my opinion and I really do like the facelift!

P.S - I think they mentioned Waylander - they said someone who used to have american muscle cars keeps calling them about it :grin:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,102 Posts
That headlight gap is too much compared to mine

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,519 Posts
And that "pushed-back nose" on it looks kinda funny too :surprise: :grin:

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,556 Posts
All is OK now, cotton wool buds and some Maguires Waterless Wash has removed that dam dirt, even if it is 1 degree C.
I can sleep easy in my bed tonight.

Anyway, keep looking one will come along, some bonnet gaps are wider on some cars also.
The gap at the wing and bumper looked OK so it might be that a headlamp was changed due to the yellowing that a lot of 2005 cars do have. So this maybe something they can adjust out?

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
868 Posts
P.S - I think they mentioned Waylander - they said someone who used to have american muscle cars keeps calling them about it :grin:
[/SIZE]

yup - that's me, and he's given us both the same spiel about not going below that level

I am seriously tempted, but then like you I'm not sold on the £££. I'm part minded to wait until the new reg-plates are out to see what gets flushed out of the woodwork

Interesting view on the headlights TBH

Surprised you didn't really look at his 2 face-lifts while you were there though!

interestingly enough that axle ratio is quite high geared given how well it accelerates >:D

Interestingly enough there are more creeping out of the woodwork (there's a nice looking silver '08 just up the road from me in Essex)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All is OK now, cotton wool buds and some Maguires Waterless Wash has removed that dam dirt, even if it is 1 degree C.
I can sleep easy in my bed tonight.

Anyway, keep looking one will come along, some bonnet gaps are wider on some cars also.
The gap at the wing and bumper looked OK so it might be that a headlamp was changed due to the yellowing that a lot of 2005 cars do have. So this maybe something they can adjust out?

Good luck with your search.
Haha, it was pretty clean though some marks here and there that I wanted to get some quick detailer on! Everything lined up so it might be headlights. The drivers side one was starting to get little kind of cracks along the top but wasn't yellowing, the passenger one was fine - didn't have that problem on my '05.

yup - that's me, and he's given us both the same spiel about not going below that level

I am seriously tempted, but then like you I'm not sold on the £££. I'm part minded to wait until the new reg-plates are out to see what gets flushed out of the woodwork

Interesting view on the headlights TBH

Surprised you didn't really look at his 2 face-lifts while you were there though!

interestingly enough that axle ratio is quite high geared given how well it accelerates >:D

Interestingly enough there are more creeping out of the woodwork (there's a nice looking silver '08 just up the road from me in Essex)
Yeah, makes me laugh, they have a prefacelift one for just under 20k with **** stuck to the side of it and the facelift 08 next to it for just 1k more, less miles and much better condition :splif:

I did have a good sit in the facelift but barely got a test drive in the other one and it was just about the worst test drive i've been allowed, he drove it out of town to a roundabout then let me drive about 30 seconds in a 60mph then into a 30mph for couple of mins rest of the way back. What am I meant to tell from that?

I don't know if its just me but most dealers I go to are very reluctant to give test drives and if they do they want to know that you will pretty much buy it right after. I can only recall 1 good dealer who actually offered me a test drive in several cars that I wasn't even interested in! The worst was I walked in after having looked around the car for a good 20 mins - no one came out to speak to me, went in asked a few questions about it and if I could take it out and they started asking me how I was going to pay for the car!!! :tazz: Errm...with beans? You take beans right? I like buying private, see the owner, see how they've looked after it, see what they know about it and no profit margin distorting the price.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not noticed that one online? I'm not a million miles away from you then, just north of Peterborough :grin:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah yeh, thats been up a wee while. £10k is the cheapest but high mileage. FSH though, should be few problems if its been cared for.

FYI if you are thinking about this one clicky then its part service history. Spent about a week back and forthing, he has just 4 bits of paper, previous MB services between 2010 and 2013 then he says he's had it serviced every year, which I believe, but he can't get any paperwork for..

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
868 Posts
there are some 'interesting' ones out there...

noticed the red one in Brum and even at the price I'm not sold. £5k cheaper is a lot of wedge but when you consider just how quickly funds can leave....

saw this one a couple of weeks ago. Wheel look fabulous, but there're a couple of nasty stone chips (as opposed to normal stonechips) and it squeaks/squeals a little on start-up (I'm also, I mentioned then, not 100% sold on the idea of black) and it just didn't 'feel right' to me

1 - 20 of 23 Posts